Install Windows 10 on a new PC with Raid 10 SSD config

I'm about building my first PC for work and personal use and I've got a RAID 10 (x4 850 Evos). I haven't built it yet so no previous OS will be on it but I want to install Windows 10 and onto the SSD(s) without an optical drive that have a RAID 10 config. I've tried researching but, being a rookie at this I understand hardly anything and left slightly more confused as I've never built a computer before let alone boot an OS onto it without an optical drive and on a RAID 10 SSD config. I thought I'd come here to see if I could get help on my specific situation so that I don't screw things up. I tried finding the solution before posting this but couldn't find one on this forum. Sorry now if it's a dupe.

- Install Windows 10 without optical drive (I guess USB but many sites show different methods)

- Install the OS onto a RAID 10 config (or do you config to RAID 10 after?)

Thanks in advance!

SH

Just now, Space_Husky said:

I'm about building my first PC for work and personal use and I've got a RAID 10 (x4 850 Evos). I haven't built it yet so no previous OS will be on it but I want to install Windows 10 and onto the SSD(s) without an optical drive that have a RAID 10 config. I've tried researching but, being a rookie at this I understand hardly anything and left slightly more confused as I've never built a computer before let alone boot an OS onto it without an optical drive and on a RAID 10 SSD config. I thought I'd come here to see if I could get help on my specific situation so that I don't screw things up.

- Install Windows 10 without optical drive (I guess USB but many sites show different methods)

Thanks in advance!

SH

assume you have set up raid and have a sub and another computer just google windows 10 iso and go to the microsoft website and download create media installion(maybe be different name) but then follow the instructions and it should make a bootable USB and you just plug into your new computer and boot from usb and then follow the insturctions, hope this helps

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Here is how you isntall with a USB: http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Not sure about setting up the raid, someone else can answer that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Space_Husky said:

I'm about building my first PC for work and personal use and I've got a RAID 10 (x4 850 Evos). I haven't built it yet so no previous OS will be on it but I want to install Windows 10 and onto the SSD(s) without an optical drive that have a RAID 10 config. I've tried researching but, being a rookie at this I understand hardly anything and left slightly more confused as I've never built a computer before let alone boot an OS onto it without an optical drive and on a RAID 10 SSD config. I thought I'd come here to see if I could get help on my specific situation so that I don't screw things up. I tried finding the solution before posting this but couldn't find one on this forum. Sorry now if it's a dupe.

Thanks in advance!

SH

also afaik you can create raid in the bios?(dont quote me on it)

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, Space_Husky said:

Thanks in advance!

SH

Welcome to the forums!

The built in RAID controller on your mobo should have RAID 10 support (if you are using an intel board, don't know for AMD)

You will have to set up the RAID before you go ahead and install windows. Once all the drives are connected, go into your bios and under "SATA Operation" (or similar) choose the RAID option, save.

Now reboot and press Ctrl+i to get into the RAID utility. Here you will have to set up your array with whatever parameters you like. (I'm not an expert so GL with that)

Once your array is set up, follow the previously posted instructions on setting up win10 with a USB key.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

Welcome to the forums!

The built in RAID controller on your mobo should have RAID 10 support (if you are using an intel board, don't know for AMD)

You will have to set up the RAID before you go ahead and install windows. Once all the drives are connected, go into your bios and under "SATA Operation" (or similar) choose the RAID option, save.

Now reboot and press Ctrl+i to get into the RAID utility. Here you will have to set up your array with whatever parameters you like. (I'm not an expert so GL with that)

Once your array is set up, follow the previously posted instructions on setting up win10 with a USB key.

Ahh okay, yeah I've got a z170 Deluxe. It's just getting to OS onto the RAID setup rather than setting up RAID itself.

24 minutes ago, Space_Husky said:

Ahh okay, yeah I've got a z170 Deluxe. It's just getting to OS onto the RAID setup rather than setting up RAID itself.

I'm running a raid0 on my z77 system. After making the volume in the intel raid utility, I was able to select that volume within the windows installer no problem every time I have re-formatted (about 2 times a year, because I can)

When in doubt, re-format.

I've got RAID 0 on my system you need to go into BIOS, and select RAID. Each BIOS is different. Some require legacy enabled, some require you to choose AHCI or RAID. Then you go into the motherboards RAID set u0. You chose which RAID you want, select the hard drives, and it'll pretty much do the rest. You need to make sure your board supports 10 though. For example, my board only supports 0,1, and 5.

Depending on your board, you may also be required to download load the RAID drivers onto USB in order to load UEFI RAID support woth W10; however, W10 is smart enough to work.

After the RAID is established, you go to install with USB. You'll only see 1 hard drive to install to. The rest of the drives are controlled by the RAID controller. Makes it simple for the user.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You'll only see 1 hard drive to install to. The rest of the drives are controlled by the RAID controller. Makes it simple for the user.

Do you mean 1 SSD? I'd like to avoid running applications off of the hard drive and use the hard drive as storage instead.

8 minutes ago, Space_Husky said:

Do you mean 1 SSD? I'd like to avoid running applications off of the hard drive and use the hard drive as storage instead.

SSD, since that's what you're using. You will see 1 drive, the rest are hidden from you. The MB does everything else for you.

23 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

SSD, since that's what you're using. You will see 1 drive, the rest are hidden from you. The MB does everything else for you.

Ahh okay, I was expecting to see 4 which was part of what confused me, haha!

28 minutes ago, Space_Husky said:

Ahh okay, I was expecting to see 4 which was part of what confused me, haha!

Yeah, totally understand. They do a good job of trying to prevent you from screwing things up.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, everything's working great and the performance for editing and rendering is awesome compared to my old computer! Just a quick question though. Aside from the 500GB SSDs for work, I assume it's possible for an extra 1TB SSD to work independently from the raid array so that I can just store and run games on? I'd prefer to keep the OS and application raid array storage as clear as possible so they keep their performance.