AMD recording software with little performance loss?

PCTechNoob

I am tying to decide on a mid mid range GPU for my new PC build. Nvidia's mid range cards don't seem like a great deal as the 1050 ti seems a little underpowered for what i'm looking for and the 1060 6gb docent seem like as good of a deal as the RX 480. Also, the gtx 1060 3gb seems like it has too little vram. The RX 480 seems like the perfect card for me as it performed well and at a price that I like, but there is only one problem. I want to be recording my games most of the time, and I don't want to sacrifice performance when recording. Nvidia has shadowplay which, from what ive seen, drops very few frames. I was wondering if there was a equivalent on for AMD users. I have seen some videos saying that you can use OBS with the AMD codec or something, but then I have seen people saying that this docent work and the performance takes a significant hit. I have also seen a recording software called AMD gaming evolved or something like that, which claims to drop few frames on AMD graphics cards, but again, some people say this is good and others do not. I was wondering if someone with an AMD graphics card could tell me if there is a way to record with minimal performance hit similar to shadowplay. Otherwise it will probably be better if I went with Nvidia as I wouldn't have to worry about the lost frames when recording. There is a good deal on a new GTX 970 on ebay which looks decent.

what's wrong with OBS?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I think OBS recently got updated to support AMD cards.

Computer: Maximus VIII Gene - i7 6700k @ 4.2 GHz cooled by a Deepcool Frostwin v2.0 - Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X - 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 3600 mHz - Samsung 950 Pro 512gb - Seagate Barracuda 1tb - Corsair RM750X - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Grey with a 2m Enthoo Luxe RGB strip.

Peripherals: IKEA Bekant desk -  2x Dell 1080p IPS monitors - Corsair K70 RGB with Cherry MX Browns - Steelseries Sensei with a Steelseries QCK mousepad and a Sennheiser G4ME ZERO white

There is way to record with no performance hit with OBS and Intel QuickSync enabled.

You must have Intel CPU with integrated graphics for this.

Then you will just use OBS to record and put all that load on the integrated graphics on Intel CPU with Intel QuickSync.. there are many guides on how to do this. It is quite easy to setup.

Recording with Gaming Evolved only has as much of a performance hit as Shadowplay. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

OBS is garbage that's why you buy an nvidia card instead you get shadwoplay which is amazing.

Get a GTX 1060 6GB you'll thank me later.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I found that Win10 XBOX DVR offer little to no performance hit when recording, similar to Plays.TV software. 

OBS Studio with Xaymar AMD Framework plugins offer great performance too but too many variables to adjust to get a good quality video in my case.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

16 hours ago, Zagna said:

notice the first word you used "latest".

back with catalyst you had "plugins" for OBS to use VCE... Mind you, it was much slower and buggier then what came around like 9 months or so ago.

What CPU do you have?  Alot of people use Intel quick sync, which is HARDWARE built into intel cpus that have IGPUS.   This will use the built in IGPU to do all of the work resulting in little to no usage on the CPU and GPU. 

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz