How much weight can a standard (non metal) pcie hold?

I might be getting a 1070 soon and was looking at some of the bigger 3 fan styles and what not and was wondering if my mother board will hold it, it has only the standard black pcie slots, not the fancy metal ones you see on premium mother boards.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

So long as your case has mounting brackets on the back where the video ports on the graphics card are then you shouldn't have any issues.

The front of the card may sag a bit but it shouldn't be enough to cause damage to your motherboard's PCIE slots.

If you're really concerned there are support stands to hold up the card or you can brace it by lifting it with fishing string and tying it to the top of the case.

Like Snadzies says, most of the weight will be taken by the metal bracket which you screw onto the computer case. The card may sag a big towards the opposite end, where you plug the pci-e power cables... the cables themselves may put some weight on the card as well.

The video card isn't that heavy though, there were and there are much heavier video cards out there, you shouldn't worry about it.

you have clearly never owned a 8800GTX. if a standard PCIe can hold a 8800 it can hold any modern card

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you have clearly never owned a 8800GTX. if a standard PCIe can hold a 8800 it can hold any modern card

Lol no I haven't. Thanks guys, I know another trick is to make a chain out of cable ties if it sags. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't break the slot, I have seen some broken slots of google images.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Hehe, big size indeed does not always mean it's heavy. Materials used have changed and design improved, so despite more cooling surface and materials used for it, the wheight distribution and total is overall not bad and mostly better then old cards of same sizes.

Anyway for OP question: the slot itself can overall hold plenty, but it can break if it is strained on unusual ways, like bending a branch. If you make use of the mounitng brackets it's fine. There are some cases that also offer GPU stands for inside, but it's overall ok

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list