Why not a i7 6700k

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

I find it hard to wholeheartedly recommend $350 CPUs just for gaming, but your workload seems to justify an i7. As long as you're happy with the price the 6700K seems like a good choice.

Ok guys so i made an awsome 1500 aud gaming rig with a intel core i7 6700k, msi z170 pro-a, 16gb 2x8 ddr4 and a nvidia gtx 1070. so recently i have been watching a lot of LTT and in a recent video of their buyers choice award he said that he was suprised that even though he said that he wouldnt recomend it (not word for word but in that direction) most pepole bought the i7 6700k. so here is me waiting for my parts to arrive asking myself why not a intel i7 6700k what possible downside could it have. also for whomevér is wondering i will use it for loads of gaming and some 3d animation (including rendering at 4k) game programing and designing and some video editing. so why not a 6700k?

Slowly but surely making myself comftable in a life i have built since childhood.

I like recieving replies, mention or quote to get my attention

Fastes Gaming CPU, there is no why in my Eyes.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I'd get the 6700k for gaming simply because it is more stable in games and the 1070 is a high end gpu, also video editing likes extra cores. Linus is assuming i5s are still enough which was true up to a year ago, he was also assuming the computer wasn't going to be doing anything other than basic tasks and gaming (so no video editing)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The only downside is in price to performance. Most people limit themselves to a given budget and shopping around for components within that budget instead of choosing the components that they want and then getting them. Yes, the i7-6700k is a phenomenal CPU that provides great performance in a wide variety of tasks. However, in a gaming context, the benefits that this provides are pretty minimal (FPS improvements vary wildly across titles). The extra money you could spend between the 6600k and 6700k you could swap up from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080. If you've got the budget for it, go ham; otherwise - get a cheaper CPU and try and find a better setup for your needs.

6700K's possible downsides are: No upgrade path (let's be real 5% performance increase from 7700K is not an upgrade path), and its limited power. Sure it can overclock, but those are still only four cores. Some people need CPU power, hence why they choose 5820k/6800k which are significantly faster (multicore-wise) and other X99 chips.

Another downside is its price, you can get gaming-capable CPUs for much less. Note that I'm saying all that and I've got a brand-new 6700K ordered and paid for on the way :) It's still the fastest gaming CPU atm.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Cause it costs more. that is literally the only reason as to why not

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

i found one on amazon for 343 usd and ordered it (arriving on the 16th (exited emojy if it were possible)) so its to late to go back but if its only the price then i can live with it cause i scored a nvidia gtx 1070 (this time the 14th)  which is sufficient for anything i will need. also in usd the entire build is around 1300$ with a lot of the price beeing shipping

Slowly but surely making myself comftable in a life i have built since childhood.

I find it hard to wholeheartedly recommend $350 CPUs just for gaming, but your workload seems to justify an i7. As long as you're happy with the price the 6700K seems like a good choice.

yeah im more worried about the 1070  <== click here. (sadly in german but google translate and loads of abreviations that are universal should make it easy to understand)

Because linus probly thinks most of his viewers are gamers and to be honest I'm one of them and  still 4 years after i bought it, I play whatever game i want with my amd athlon 760k on good fps and I'm good .

Here's the secound blow at 6700 face - you are paying for sure more than 500 dollars for cpu/mb combo  that is 4 true cores no matter how you look it witch as others mentioned dont have good "worth" upgrade path. On the other hand i got my mb and cpu for less than 150 and later on when zen is lunched i will invest into it and get something better than 6700 for lower price for sure. (i cant wait to see how many 1151 mbs and cpus will hit the secound-hand market after zen release XD)

\

9 minutes ago, CEbbinghaus said:

yeah im more worried about the 1070  <== click here. (sadly in german but google translate and loads of abreviations that are universal should make it easy to understand)

Yeah, you plan to do more than gaming, so a 6700K is justified for you. But what Linus means is that if you were on a strict budget, that $100ish saved from using a 6600K instead of a 6700K lets you dump that savings into the GPU. $100 on a more powerful GPU will make a larger difference in most games instead of a faster CPU.

Ouch, that 1070 stings. I myself bought a used 980 Ti because people are selling off cheap to get 1080s. You can usually find them for $300-400 used. When I bought my 980 Ti at $350, the closest 1070 was $480 (overpriced due to out of stock).

Motherboard cost me 113 usd so totals to about 420usd. also blaze it

5 minutes ago, CEbbinghaus said:

Kein Problem. I'm not sure what you mean by "worried" about the card, though. I suppose that blower-style cooler is a bit mediocre, but a GTX 1070 can certainly be cooled adequately like that.

45 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I'd get the 6700k for gaming simply because it is more stable in games and the 1070 is a high end gpu, also video editing likes extra cores. Linus is assuming i5s are still enough which was true up to a year ago, he was also assuming the computer wasn't going to be doing anything other than basic tasks and gaming (so no video editing)

Do you really need a 6700k for gaming, I highly doubt it. And I mean just gaming in general, Unless you play in 4k.

The geek himself.

oh i thought that same as ram or storage there are like clock speeds for example my ram only has 2400 mghz while good ram has 3200 and that there are different factors so that 1 1070 might me better than the other. so they are all the same? also the cooler i wanyed to be that kind coz it looks freaking amazing. auch sprichst du deutsch?

12 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Do you really need a 6700k for gaming, I highly doubt it. And I mean just gaming in general, Unless you play in 4k.

nah dude im rendering 3d animations in 4k and will do some very complicated physics animations so trust me when i say that the cpu will be used to its fullest

Just now, CEbbinghaus said:

nah dude im rendering 3d animations in 4k and will do some very complicated physics animations so trust me when i say that the cpu will be used to its fullest

Oh makes sense now.

The geek himself.

13 minutes ago, CEbbinghaus said:

oh i thought that same as ram or storage there are like clock speeds for example my ram only has 2400 mghz while good ram has 3200 and that there are different factors so that 1 1070 might me better than the other. so they are all the same? also the cooler i wanyed to be that kind coz it looks freaking amazing. auch sprichst du deutsch?

I studied German for a few years in college. I've tried to keep up with it, but I've forgotten a lot. At any rate, it's not much of a barrier on an Amazon product page. :)

You're right, individual GTX 1070's do differ slightly. The board manufacturers (MSI, Asus, EVGA, etc.) have the ability to differentiate their product by overclocking differently, but it's usually not a very big overclock and ultimately it doesn't affect real performance very much. Their coolers, power characteristics, and warranty are usually bigger differences.

ok awsome thanks for all your help to see what abominations of 3d animation i have made click Here else you can keep on trying to convince me that the price is just to damm high and that i could get a 1080 instead.

5 hours ago, CEbbinghaus said:

ok awsome thanks for all your help to see what abominations of 3d animation i have made click Here else you can keep on trying to convince me that the price is just to damm high and that i could get a 1080 instead.

Well, if you use a CPU renderer, then you need the CPU. Otherwise, if you're using a renderer that uses the GPU (CUDA cores), the 1080 would be worth it...but yeah...it really depends on your render workflow.