OS won't boot when adding more disks (hp dl385)

Joveice

Hi, so Ubuntu server won't boot when I have added more disks to the server. (server got 6 disks) Running Raid 0 on the disks it got installed on, when I added raid 5 on the other 4 and start nothing happens. Do I delete the raid 5 it boots again.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

8 minutes ago, Joveice said:

Hi, so Ubuntu server won't boot when I have added more disks to the server. (server got 6 disks) Running Raid 0 on the disks it got installed on, when I added raid 5 on the other 4 and start nothing happens. Do I delete the raid 5 it boots again.

So If you remove the RAID 5, it boots fine? Is that A G6 DL385?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

9 minutes ago, Joveice said:

What is the boot order on the raid card set to?

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

So If you remove the RAID 5, it boots fine? Is that A G6 DL385?

Yes if I remove the raid 5 it works, and No it's even older it's the G1

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the boot order on the raid card set to?

I'm really new to this so I don't know where to do this, please explain?

7 minutes ago, Joveice said:

What size drives?

EDIT2: Removed edit 1

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

What size drives?

Raid 0 disks are 72.8 GB, and the raid 5 disks are 36.4 GB

Just now, Joveice said:

Raid 0 disks are 72.8 GB, and the raid 5 disks are 36.4 GB

And what are you doing with a DL385 G1? They're weak, oudated and power hungry. SAS or SCSI model?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Joveice said:

The raid card has a device that you pick as the bootable device normally, select the raid 0

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

And what are you doing with a DL385 G1? They're weak, oudated and power hungry. SAS or SCSI model?

I don't have money for stuff like this so I got it for free, So it's a good start for me :)

It's SCSI

Just now, Joveice said:

I don't have money for stuff like this so I got it for free, So it's a good start for me :)

It's SCSI

Maybe try r/homelab on reddit, but go in to the BIOS or RAID controller menus.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Maybe try r/homelab on reddit, but go in to the BIOS or RAID controller menus.

Noted :)

Yea I went in to the bios and all I can select there is boot order > USB, Floppy, CD and C:

And the raid controller I'm only allowed to create, view or delete raid configs ( at least what I can find on the screen )

Just now, Joveice said:

Noted :)

Yea I went in to the bios and all I can select there is boot order > USB, Floppy, CD and C:

And the raid controller I'm only allowed to create, view or delete raid configs ( at least what I can find on the screen )

View the raid array stuff. What OS?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Which I got working.

1 minute ago, Joveice said:

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Which I got working.

When you create the array, can you check the boot order?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Also at the bottom it says Note: For more configuration options use the HP array configuration utility which I havent been able to find info about.

Just now, Joveice said:

Also at the bottom it says Note: For more configuration options use the HP array configuration utility which I havent been able to find info about.

That's a specific key on boot I seem to remember. I got my DL160 G6 a little whle ago, but I think it's the same. I think it's a command line thing.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

When you create the array  , can you check the boot order?

20161103_203921.jpg

20161103_203859.jpg

There is no boot selection here

4 minutes ago, Joveice said:

20161103_203921.jpg

20161103_203859.jpg

There is no boot selection here

Boot selection in the BIOS menu?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

20161103_205045.jpg

20161103_205037.jpg

41 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Left it on for a while to go make food, and this is what it says when I come back (I have no idea what this means)

20161103_212749.jpg

18 hours ago, Joveice said:

Left it on for a while to go make food, and this is what it says when I come back (I have no idea what this means)

20161103_212749.jpg

Basically, the server tried to go to a sleep state, but failed.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Basically, the server tried to go to a sleep state, but failed.

Ah okey, what should I do? I'm still stuck where I where

Just now, Joveice said:

Ah okey, what should I do? I'm still stuck where I where

Do you have a USB flash drive? If so, boot Ubuntu or something from it, with the RAID 5 created and see if you can see it.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Do you have a USB flash drive? If so, boot Ubuntu or something from it, with the RAID 5 created and see if you can see it.

When installing first time it did display both disks and I could select which I would like to install on. If this is the same as booting up from a os. if not I'll go get the desktop ubuntu os