How much PSU Wattage for this 1070 SLI build with custom loop?

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
7 minutes ago, Wolfieeee said:

So should I get a rm1000i just to be safe or just keep the 850i?

I would not make that upgrade. such a small upgrade for a lot of money. I would personally go HX or AX 1200i, or a similar offering from EVGA or another company if you're looking to upgrade (both for extra headroom and better efficiency rating/better place on the efficiency curve). Or I would just recommend not getting super cray overclocks on your GPU's and keeping your current PSU.

Hey! I need help choosing a PSU for my build. I've tried using PSU calculators but i'm not really sure what i'm supposed to put the clocks on for the GPU's.

I currently have a RM850i PSU for my build, however I got another 1070 to add to my rig for 2 way SLI.

My build:

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T
Motherboard: MSI X99a Gaming 7 
CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.38V
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LED Red DDR4 3200MHZ 32gb (4x8gb)
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3tb 7200RPM 3.5"
GPU: 2x MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Sea hawk EK X (I haven't installed the 2nd one yet)
PSU: Corsair RM850i
Fans: 6x HD120 RGB Fans 120MM and 1x AF140 LED fan
Watercooling pump: EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM -Plexi (ink. Pump)

I have a custom loop that is currently cooling my 5820k and my current 1070, I'm going to have to clear out all of the water to put in the new 1070. I haven't really had the time to overclock my current 1070 so when I get both of them installed i'm probably going to apply a very high overclock. So if I have my 5820k @ 4.6 Ghz, 1.38V and 2 GTX 1070's in SLI with a very high overclock, 
What is the recomended wattage on a PSU? and could you recommend a PSU that is good?

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Wolfieeee said:

Hey! I need help choosing a PSU for my build. I've tried using PSU calculators but i'm not really sure what i'm supposed to put the clocks on for the GPU's.

I currently have a RM850i PSU for my build, however I got another 1070 to add to my rig for 2 way SLI.

My build:

GPU: 2x MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Sea hawk EK X (I haven't installed the 2nd one yet)

I have a custom loop that is currently cooling my 5820k and my current 1070, I'm going to have to clear out all of the water to put in the new 1070. I haven't really had the time to overclock my current 1070 so when I get both of them installed i'm probably going to apply a very high overclock. So if I have my 5820k @ 4.6 Ghz, 1.38V and 2 GTX 1070's in SLI with a very high overclock, 
What is the recomended wattage on a PSU? and could you recommend a PSU that is good?

Thanks in advance!

That will be fine.

Just use the one you have its of good quality and has sufficient wattage. 

Even if both CPU and GPU are hardcore overclocked?

5 minutes ago, Wolfieeee said:

My build:

Thanks in advance!

850W is more than enough.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

9 minutes ago, Wolfieeee said:

Snip

A lot of people here are underestimating just how much extra wattage you draw when you throw on heavy overclocks onto components

my 6700k (4.0 @ 1.225V) and Xtreme Gaming 980ti (@ factory settings) uses about 350W at peak. throw in another 250W GPU, "Seriously" overclock those, and add a more power hungry CPU and overclock that thing too? not to mention pump(s) and however many fans you're gonna have in that system... 850W gonna be cutting it close imo.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

A lot of people here are underestimating just how much extra wattage you draw when you throw on heavy overclocks onto components

my 6700k (4.0 @ 1.225V) and Xtreme Gaming 980ti (@ factory settings) uses about 350W at peak. throw in another 250W GPU, "Seriously" overclock those, and add a more power hungry CPU and overclock that thing too? not to mention pump(s) and however many fans you're gonna have in that system... 850W gonna be cutting it close imo.

11 minutes ago, Wolfieeee said:

Ah alright, 850w in this case is good then, I trust you guys but I'm just wondering why when I put my stuff in a PSU Calculator it said 950w? http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Calculators tend to overestimate their real-world loads just so people buy an overkill PSU, so that no one has issues in case their calculations are a little off or someone input slightly incorrect information...

but like I said, if you're going for high end overclocks, contrary to what everyone else in this thread is saying, 850W is going to be cutting it pretty close imo.

each GPU can easily use up to 300W (75W PCIe, 75W 6 pin, 150W 8 pin). a 5820k will easily exceed its 140W TDP whilst OC'd. The motherboard, fans, pumps, connected devices, and everything else doesn't have a lot of breathing room. Now if you don't go balls deep on your OC's, you probably won't use nearly that much wattage on your GPU's (probably closer to 250W per card) which could give you some wattage headroom, but if you're after max power draw for max overclocks, 850W gonna be real close to your limit.

7 minutes ago, Wolfieeee said:

I would not make that upgrade. such a small upgrade for a lot of money. I would personally go HX or AX 1200i, or a similar offering from EVGA or another company if you're looking to upgrade (both for extra headroom and better efficiency rating/better place on the efficiency curve). Or I would just recommend not getting super cray overclocks on your GPU's and keeping your current PSU.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Thanks so much! I haven't had my pc for over 30 days so I can still return the RM850I so I won't be wasting a lot of money. 850I and 1000I Have like a 30 dollar difference where I am right now so I'm probably just going to go with 1000W if I'm going to upgrade in the future. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfieeee said:

Thanks so much! I haven't had my pc for over 30 days so I can still return the RM850I so I won't be wasting a lot of money. 850I and 1000I Have like a 30 dollar difference where I am right now so I'm probably just going to go with 1000W if I'm going to upgrade in the future. 

oh well if you can straight swap, then that may not be a bad idea to go with a RM1000i. 30 extra bucks is a fine investment for that. I just thought that you were looking to pay nearly 200 for such a minimal upgrade.