HDR, Xbox One S, and a Yamaha Receiver..

Zeaguwanna

Hello everyone!

I am having an interesting issue that maybe some of you might be able to help out with.

Firstly, I have the LG C6 series OLED, the Yamaha RXV-2081 Amp and an Xbox One S.

With Gears of War 4 being HDR, I decided to give the console version a spin to test it out. 

Having the Xbox One S connected to the amp, and then the amp connected to the TV, the console states that it supports HDR and everything else, however the game nor the TV will recognize this fact and in order to get it to switch I need to connect the console directly to the TV. (Note the amp supports HDR/BT2020 pass-through and I am using HDMI 2 compliant cables).

Using ARC I can get sound of course but am then limited to 5.1 dolby bitstream rather than the 7.1 uncompressed if I had the console connected to the amp directly.

Is there an option that I am perhaps missing in the amp which is causing the HDR mode to not show up when I have the console connected to it? I have gone through all the settings and it is set to direct pass-through etc etc.

Thanks for your help :)

Try using a different HDMI input on the receiver. To save money in parts receiver manufactures are only putting full HDMI 2.0a on some of the HDMI ports on their products which is really lame.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Zeaguwanna,

I'm not sure if you were able to resolve your original issue, but if not, today may be your lucky day!

I have the LG OLED55C6P, Yamaha RX-A2060, and Xbox One S - very close to your setup.  Here's the config:

Xbox One S - make sure that you're at least receiving 4K/60Hz reported from your TV through the AV receiver.

LG OLED55C6P - make sure that you have Deep Color enabled (bottom of General area in settings) on your TV <-> AV HDMI port (preferably enable it on HDMI port 2 so that you can conduct ARC if needed for TV apps).

Yamaha RX-A2060 or RX-V2081 (basically the same) -

1. Turn off the receiver if its on (standby is okay).

2. Hold down the STRAIGHT button on the receiver's face while pushing the "Main Zone" power button.

3. Cycle through the Advanced config using the Program and left/right arrows.

4. By default, the Yamaha receiver will be on "Mode 2" for the 4K setting.  If you check the manual under Advanced Config, Mode 2 means only 4K/60Hz at 4.2.0.  Switch this setting to "Mode 1" that requires High Speed HDMI cables, and allows for 4K/60Hz, BT.2020, HDR10, 4.4.4, etc.  Select the Mode 1 setting by using the STRAIGHT button.

5. Turn off the receiver with the "Main Zone" power button, and then turn it on again.  The AV config should be set, and the Xbox One S should now report what the TV is capable of rather than being limited by the AV receiver.

The RX-A2060 manual explains the above steps and info here:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=67396

Page 155

• 10 months later...
On 12/24/2016 at 10:20 PM, SurfEzBum said:

Hi Zeaguwanna,

I'm not sure if you were able to resolve your original issue, but if not, today may be your lucky day!

I have the LG OLED55C6P, Yamaha RX-A2060, and Xbox One S - very close to your setup.  Here's the config:

Xbox One S - make sure that you're at least receiving 4K/60Hz reported from your TV through the AV receiver.

LG OLED55C6P - make sure that you have Deep Color enabled (bottom of General area in settings) on your TV <-> AV HDMI port (preferably enable it on HDMI port 2 so that you can conduct ARC if needed for TV apps).

Yamaha RX-A2060 or RX-V2081 (basically the same) -

1. Turn off the receiver if its on (standby is okay).

2. Hold down the STRAIGHT button on the receiver's face while pushing the "Main Zone" power button.

3. Cycle through the Advanced config using the Program and left/right arrows.

4. By default, the Yamaha receiver will be on "Mode 2" for the 4K setting.  If you check the manual under Advanced Config, Mode 2 means only 4K/60Hz at 4.2.0.  Switch this setting to "Mode 1" that requires High Speed HDMI cables, and allows for 4K/60Hz, BT.2020, HDR10, 4.4.4, etc.  Select the Mode 1 setting by using the STRAIGHT button.

5. Turn off the receiver with the "Main Zone" power button, and then turn it on again.  The AV config should be set, and the Xbox One S should now report what the TV is capable of rather than being limited by the AV receiver.

The RX-A2060 manual explains the above steps and info here:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=67396

Page 155

Thank u sooo much