Vr audio

kobyaustin1

If you have 7.1 surround speakers and you connect then to a vr headset such as HTC vive or oculus rift would it work or when you look around would audio change position to a different speaker such as if you hear something behind you you look back would it appear on the speaker in front of you

i am pretty sure speakers dont have motion tracking 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

3 minutes ago, Oswin said:

But when you look around like the way you would in a fps would it change speakers or stay at that one it originally came from

4 minutes ago, Oswin said:

You could make that work based of the head tracking, but noone has done it and it would be much easier to just use headphones.

Just now, kobyaustin1 said:

But when you look around like the way you would in a fps would it change speakers or stay at that one it originally came from

i dont have stereo speakers. but i am pretty sure they would stay 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

36 minutes ago, kobyaustin1 said:

If you have 7.1 surround speakers and you connect then to a vr headset such as HTC vive or oculus rift would it work or when you look around would audio change position to a different speaker such as if you hear something behind you you look back would it appear on the speaker in front of you

No it wont rotate.

7.1 surround sound is terrible for VR/games because all you get is sound is coming from there or there or there, its not surround its just audio coming from a corner.

Also most VR companies are working with Ambisonics which is some audio software which does surround. With the idea of then reproducing it in stereo for headphones. Which actually works incredibly well and does rotate with the VR headset.

3 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

No it wont rotate.

7.1 surround sound is terrible for VR/games because all you get is sound is coming from there or there or there, its not surround its just audio coming from a corner.

Also most VR companies are working with Ambisonics which is some audio software which does surround. With the idea of then reproducing it in stereo for headphones. Which actually works incredibly well and does rotate with the VR headset.

No. 7.1 IS surround. It's just that it's surround that assumes that you're always looking forward. 

Like, 5.1, 7.1, whatever we're up to now.1 is pretty much the definition of surround sound...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

11 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

No. 7.1 IS surround. It's just that it's surround that assumes that you're always looking forward. 

Like, 5.1, 7.1, whatever we're up to now.1 is pretty much the definition of surround sound...

My comment about its not surround its just audio in a corner, is a comment about how the game produces audio in 7.1 5.1 systems and how normally they do it poorly and it just sounds like the audio is in a corner over there or its coming from over then, instead of a good immersive surround sound system.

Also 7.1 doesnt mean surround sound it just means so many speakers and subs. You can have 7.1 stereo doesnt make it surround sound. The surround part is down to decoders and software and in games its poor. While in movies they settled on 5.1 and mix there audio to that so that makes it surround.

In video games surround sound 7.1 5.1 is just poor because audio is not given major details in most games due to costs of making the audio (not worth while to the game budget compared to making better graphics etc) and normally to do with the size of disks being that the better audio you have the less room you have for game play. So audio always takes a hit.
Only a handful of games have decent surround sound encoding and its normaly racing games (mainly code master games like f1 and the rally), and I believe that gta does as well.
In most cases the game doesnt even use the extra speakers over stereo and when it does it sometimes is just reproducing stereo but with multiple speakers.

While the new systems using ambisonic designs the audio in the game for what it should sound like for the person at his two ears. Then reproduce that sound for each ear. So wearing headphones produces the correct audio for what it would sound like in surround (when i say surround i dont mean 7.1 or what ever I mean in a 3D environment). And most VR games with large budgets use this system to produce audio. So if you have VR use headphones.

9 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Also 7.1 doesnt mean surround sound it just means so many speakers and subs. You can have 7.1 stereo doesnt make it surround sound. 

This is false. 7.1 refers to the number of channels, not the number of speakers. As such, you can have as many speakers as you want in stereo configuration, but it would still be 2.0 or 2.1 channel stereo sound. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)