Hey guys! now..... this is my dad's problem!

He wants to use Linux now as he was using windows/mac all these years.He wants to see how good Linux is.But...... he has never actually dealt with Linux though. so...... i want to know which is the easiest Linux to use? Mint? Ubuntu? . He want's the easiest ones.

Thank you.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Ubuntu.. 

Ubuntu.. 

thought so......

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

thought so......

should i mark it is solved or wait for some more suggestions?

COMING SOON

should i mark it is solved or wait for some more suggestions?

Wait for more - that's what a forums for, multiple peoples input. 

I personally have to agree with Windspeed, Ubuntu is definitely the way to go for newcomers. However, personally I like Kali... For... Reasons... Fedora is also another option to consider and mint arguably has the best eyecandy when it's completely stock. But for newcomers, go ubuntu. Not just because it's easy but more people make things that work with that distro specifically and has the most support available as it is the most mainstream Linux distribution

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

For the simplicity of it, I'd recommend Zorin OS http://zorin-os.com/

It's set up to be an easy transition to linux. It's a little too basic in my opinion, but for people just starting out and wanting to learn I'd recommend checking it out.

Other than that, there's always Ubuntu which acts to be user friendly with lots of bloatware included :)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I personaly Like Mint 13 Maya (Cinnamon), It's an LTS (supported until April 2017) and the desktop is nice as well. It has a few good packages installed from the get go and it's based off Ubuntu 12.04 LTS so support is good for hardware.

Either Linux Mint or Joli OS. I recommend the latter for ease of use but it's more of a cloud base OS using Chromium.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I recommend Mint. It is built off of Ubuntu so it is compatible with everything that is made for Ubuntu (like Steam). Zorin OS is another good one. While I have not used it, I have read that it is specifically designed to target ex-Windows users.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Well my clear shot is Elementary OS. It looks a lot like Mac OSX and is an eye candy. Also it is very snappy and all of the actions and animations are very fluid and a pleasure to use. Not sure if it is the best choice for a beginner it all depends on how advanced in computers your dad is but for me a complete Linux noob it wasn't too hard to figure things out so far. Most things can be found using our friend Google quite easily :D and it's based on Ubuntu so you do get a nice library of programs and games.

I like puppy Linux but that's just me

I'd suggest Mint or Elementary, with Ubuntu being last just due to unity. All three are very easy for someone new to Linux, but the first two would seem more familar to someone with windows and OSX usage in the past.

Mint or Ubuntu.

Installed 32 bit mint KDE on my grandma's old Pentium M laptop so she could browse the web & print, works like a dream.

Ubuntu is probably the easiest to pick up however, with it's software center & all.

Kubuntu is also an option, It's exactly the same as ubuntu underneath the hood, but it's based on the KDE interface, which is alot like windows.

Well, there's multiple Distro's that are fairly user friendly

some examples are: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian (can be complicated to set up), Elementary, Arch, Fedora, and the list goes on...

im going to go with elementary OS its  (imo) the simplest, friendliest and prettiest linux distro. its also based of ubuntu 

Ubuntu is the best noob freiendly , then boom move to freebsd or mint

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Well, there's multiple Distro's that are fairly user friendly

some examples are: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian (can be complicated to set up), Elementary, Arch, Fedora, and the list goes on...

I like how you say debian can be hard to set up, then list arch without saying it :P

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

If you have a Ethernet cable handy, maybe Elementary?

I like how you say debian can be hard to set up, then list arch without saying it :P

Debian is about as hard as Ubuntu, guess if you consider responding with defaults hard, then that's hard on your return key.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Try a few distros. As you see from the responses to the original question some have said Ubuntu/Mint to Debian/Arch. Regardless any of the distros are always rewarding cause you are constantly learning something.

I would try a VM setup in windows and let your dad sample some for himself. Tell him to break it cause it doesn't matter its in a VM you can snap shot and reload anytime. Also a VM is a tool you can use later as well to test out new versions and new distros. Heck maybe he even might want to try something from the offensive security end of it and give backtrack or kali linux a try.

Ubuntu with Unity is ugly. Try a diff distro.