SSD dropped to 99% health in 1 month!

Freezanator

I bought my SanDisk 120GB SSD last month and many say that an SSD can stay at 100% health for a long time before starting to die. I don't know how much of this is true, but my SSD has dropped to 99% in just 1 month! It is my main boot drive and I keep personal files in there. The only program I think is the most taxing on my SSD is Forza Motorsport 6 which I installed there since it takes so long to load a single track when it was installed on my HDD. I'm currently using 48.1GB on my SSD which is about 43% of usage in total. My 120GB SSD is paired with my 1TB HDD which acts as mass storage for programs which do not need to startup fast. My "Downloads" folder is also on my HDD to prevent too much writing on my SSD. I am extremely worried about my SSD's lifespan. Should I reinstall Forza Motorsport 6 on my HDD to lighten my SSD's burdens? Should I be worried about the drop in SSD health in just 1 MONTH? How long will my SSD last at this rate? OMG!!!

Screenshot (34).png

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

1 percent in 1 month, i would not worry too much. but they usually use parts that are cheaper in lower capacity ssd (below 240, i think) they also usually have different speeds, just something to keep in mind 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

First off, calm down. What you should be doing if you are really worried (and all the time anyway) is keeping a backup of the drive. Reading from a drive will not decrease its lifespan at all. So if Forza was taking forever to load, then it is just a big file. The first thing I can think of is that TRIM is not enabled and your OS is trying to defrag your SSD. What OS are you running?

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

So technically you got 99 more months to go, which is more than 8 years. 

Of course, that is not how it works, but should give you roughly an idea of what you can expect. 

SSDs often exceed their TB TBW specs, so in reality you should get even more out of it.

If it reaches 0% its not automatically dead. 

7 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

How long will my SSD last at this rate? OMG!!!

Well, 1% decay in one month means 100% decay in 100 months, which is roughly 8 years. It probably doesn't work like that, but hey, math is math

Just now, Redsun20 said:

First off, calm down. What you should be doing if you are really worried (and all the time anyway) is keeping a backup of the drive. Reading from a drive will not decrease its lifespan at all. So if Forza was taking forever to load, then it is just a big file. The first thing I can think of is that TRIM is not enabled and your OS is trying to defrag your SSD. What OS are you running?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Anniversary Edition (Build 14393.321)

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 

1 minute ago, Redsun20 said:

You don't deFrag an SSD

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

Just now, Miller1218 said:

You don't deFrag an SSD

I know this, but depending on the OS it might do it on its own because it doesn't know that your drive is an ssd.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

5 minutes ago, Redsun20 said:

I know this, but depending on the OS it might do it on its own because it doesn't know that your drive is an ssd.

I'm running on Windows 10 Home 64-bit Anniversary Edition (Build 14393.321)

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

11 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Anniversary Edition (Build 14393.321)

Ok. I honestly don't thinkk its anything to worryabout, but here is the command to check if trimis enabled (it probably is but just to check):

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 

(If you get a 0, you are fine. If you get a 1, slap this code in)

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

As @The Belgian Waffle, @Senzelian, and @Oswin said, your SSD (mathematically anyway) has 99 months to go left in its live span, and you really don't need to worry. As is good practice, just keep your data backed up

...you are aware 100 months are over 8 years?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

I bought my SanDisk 120GB SSD last month and many say that an SSD can stay at 100% health for a long time before starting to die. I don't know how much of this is true, but my SSD has dropped to 99% in just 1 month! It is my main boot drive and I keep personal files in there. The only program I think is the most taxing on my SSD is Forza Motorsport 6 which I installed there since it takes so long to load a single track when it was installed on my HDD. I'm currently using 48.1GB on my SSD which is about 43% of usage in total. My 120GB SSD is paired with my 1TB HDD which acts as mass storage for programs which do not need to startup fast. My "Downloads" folder is also on my HDD to prevent too much writing on my SSD. I am extremely worried about my SSD's lifespan. Should I reinstall Forza Motorsport 6 on my HDD to lighten my SSD's burdens? Should I be worried about the drop in SSD health in just 1 MONTH? How long will my SSD last at this rate? OMG!!!

Screenshot (34).png

Hi, how do you get information on how much health points you have left on your hard drive or SSD?

Is there a program for it :D?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

3 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Hi, how do you get information on how much health points you have left on your hard drive or SSD?

Come on man, just open your eyes 

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 15.40.41.png

I wouldn't worry about it... don't forget that it also doesn't display any decimal points, so it could be 99.9%, just keep an eye on it after a few more months. My main M.2 SSD is now on 97% after more than 2 years use, actual power on hours has been 5,381, which is 223 days, so have been using mine about 8 hours a day (very roughly) and still has 97% left... so according to that math I will have 20 years more to use this drive unless it fails.

Check crystaldiskinfo  http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

17 minutes ago, Redsun20 said:

Ok. I honestly don't thinkk its anything to worryabout, but here is the command to check if trimis enabled (it probably is but just to check):

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 

(If you get a 0, you are fine. If you get a 1, slap this code in)

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

As @The Belgian Waffle, @Senzelian, and @Oswin said, your SSD (mathematically anyway) has 99 months to go left in its live span, and you really don't need to worry. As is good practice, just keep your data backed up

I ran the first code in CMD (Admin) and it came up with this. Do I need to slap in the second code?

Screenshot (35).png

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

17 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

SanDisk's program is called SanDisk SSD Dashboard. I think it only works on SanDisk SSDs. You can get it here

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

10 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I wouldn't worry about it... don't forget that it also doesn't display any decimal points, so it could be 99.9%, just keep an eye on it after a few more months. My main M.2 SSD is now on 97% after more than 2 years use, actual power on hours has been 5,381, which is 223 days, so have been using mine about 8 hours a day (very roughly) and still has 97% left... so according to that math I will have 20 years more to use this drive unless it fails.

Check crystaldiskinfo  http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

What is the most intensive thing that you do on your M.2?

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

3 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

What is the most intensive thing that you do on your M.2?

read and write files to it obviously :P

What do YOU mean by most intensive?

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

read and write files to it obviously :P

What do YOU mean by most intensive?

Programs which require lots of writing. By the way, I realized Forza Motorsport 6 takes a pretty long time to save stuff such as cars and paint jobs right before the track loads. Does this mean it is writing a lot?

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

4 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

Programs which require lots of writing. By the way, I realized Forza Motorsport 6 takes a pretty long time to save stuff such as cars and paint jobs right before the track loads. Does this mean it is writing a lot?

I don't know that game personally, unlikely that it's writing "a lot" though.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I don't know that game personally, unlikely that it's writing "a lot" though.

Then why does it take about 20 seconds of saving every time I choose a car before a race? It must be doing something. 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

3 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

Then why does it take about 20 seconds of saving every time I choose a car before a race? It must be doing something. 

Well, at a guess I would say loading the car you want to use into the game then. I don't know.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Keep in mind that the wear on an SSD is typically heaviest right at the beginning, when you install the OS and other stuff. Write activity is usually lower through the rest of the drive's lifespan, aside from maybe an OS reinstall.

13 hours ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Come on man, just open your eyes 

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 15.40.41.png

:(

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.