OSX 10.9 "Mavericks" Thoughts?

Just downloaded and installed. I can't seem to figure out what they changed.....

What do you guys thing about it?

Also I came from Mountain Lion so that is what I am comparing it to.

Are you running on a hackintosh?

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

It's somewhat faster. Definitely does ad some battery life. Might do a review and run-down test but I doubt most of the forum cares because "APPLE FUCKING SUCKS. DEATH TO APPLE".

Safari notifications seem cool, but I use Chrome so I won't use them.

iBooks and Maps are in it. Was Maps in there before? I don't think so.

Notification center looks like an iDevice now.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I still haven't updated my Mac's OS since MacOS 10.6 I think that was snow leopard. Tell me about the wonders of this 'mavericks'.

I still haven't updated my Mac's OS since MacOS 10.6 I think that was snow leopard. Tell me about the wonders of this 'mavericks'.

Well it's free.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Well it's free.

Well that is new to me. going to update tomorrow at uni. will report back.

On the surface, things doesn't seem to have changed all that much. I'm noticing that the indexing tool is working like crazy, and I'm wondering if that's because it tries to index my bootcamp partition. 

The Activity monitor has gotten an overhaul, making giving more info and making things a little easier to understand, i suppose, and the finder seems a little sluggish (might be because of that mds turns out there's some weird scaling on the scroll speed when the list is short). The new multi screen functionality is great (finally able to change desktops independently) Although it seemed to have a little hiccup when I dragged a fullscreen window from a 16:9 (external 1080p) to a 16:10 display (laptop), it seemed to leave a grey area where the tool bar used to be (before going into full screen). Exiting and entering full screen again fixed this nicely. Edit: If I would have to guess, it could have something to do with how the tool bar tells you which window is active at any given point (the tool bar in the inactive window becomes more see through). I'm guessing it might have gotten confused when i entered Exposé (or is it Mission Control now?)

As for battery life and performance I'm probably not the right person to ask (with my five year old MacBook Unibody) and a battery that has seen better days...

I haven't really loaded it up with much yet, but I'm noticing that it utilizes a lot of my RAM, out of 8 GB, 5,4 is currently in use, but 2,2 of those are used for file buffering, so while Mavericks compresses RAM when needed, it doesn't seem like it's needed for me just yet. Never the less, the system feels quite snappy, all seems well.

Another little thing, as I'm writing this, the new auto updater (yay for that feature) seems to be in the process of installing a new software update for OSX.

Incoherent text, I know, but it's hard to be structured when your'e typing out experiences on the go ;)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

-1 sir. 

I asked what people ACTUALLY thought was new. 

It's somewhat faster. Definitely does ad some battery life. Might do a review and run-down test but I doubt most of the forum cares because "APPLE FUCKING SUCKS. DEATH TO APPLE".

Safari notifications seem cool, but I use Chrome so I won't use them.

iBooks and Maps are in it. Was Maps in there before? I don't think so.

Notification center looks like an iDevice now.

I refuse to use Apple Maps. It still doesn't know where my house is because my neighborhood is so new. 

I ask it to take me home and it steers me an hour away to the closest named street. 

I hear the trackpad now scrolls up and down by moving your finger left to right and vice versa, new release so time to change that puppy up again.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Glad its free, wouldn't of been to happy paying for this update! Actually as I type this its popped up with a notification asking me to take a tour of mavericks...

It's a lot snappier, especially on wake up on my MacBook. The new activity monitor is a welcome addition. The iCal has also been redesigned and it is much better. Also, the new Safari is noticeably faster. It's a pretty decent update, especially for being free. I'm working on updating my Hackintosh eventually. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Just downloaded and installed. I can't seem to figure out what they changed.....

What do you guys thing about it?

Also I came from Mountain Lion so that is what I am comparing it to.

They changed under the hood items.  Better power management, better RAM utilization, new/redesigned apps.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

They changed under the hood items.  Better power management, better RAM utilization, new/redesigned apps.

After a few days of using it yeah I see it now. 

Apps seem to respond a little quicker but nothing groundbreaking. 

The new multi display stuff sucks. Im running this on my 2009 macbook that i use as a work station at my school. I use a dual monitor setup. New you cant span windows across monitors to create an eyefinity like solution on macs. And the dock randomly switches from my main 23 inch display to the 13 inch macbook display, making it hard for me to see it. Also not to mention that the battery life is no better than mountain lion. And the boot up times are worse. U used to leave my computer on for weeks but now I have to restart almost every day.

After a few days of using it yeah I see it now. 

Apps seem to respond a little quicker but nothing groundbreaking. 

Would you rather have more frequent minor updates or less frequent major updates?  Looks like Microsoft is trying to move away from the less frequent major updates also.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Would you rather have more frequent minor updates or less frequent major updates?  Looks like Microsoft is trying to move away from the less frequent major updates also.

I like fast responses to issues. My iPhone 5s crashes out back to the Apple logo probably once per day. Apple still hasn't fixed it. 

I feel like desktop operating systems have less bugs and don't need to be patched as often. 

Mobile = frequent. Desktop = infrequent. 

I like fast responses to issues. My iPhone 5s crashes out back to the Apple logo probably once per day. Apple still hasn't fixed it. 

I feel like desktop operating systems have less bugs and don't need to be patched as often. 

Mobile = frequent. Desktop = infrequent. 

Either way, I would want problems to be fixed as soon as possible no matter what the platform.

I will testing it on my hackintosh on Monday. Will report back afterwards.

I can't get OSX to install on my Haswell machine. 

Otherwise I would be using it right now. 

What is the error?

\

I think Mavericks is good, but far too unstable.  It makes Chrome crash allot and other programs.  Or I just got a faulty copy

Do you use a Mac or a Hackintosh?

What is the error?

It shows the apple logo and hangs there. 

Booting in Verbose mode reveals nothing. 

I even tried it using the integrated graphics