Wiring A House With Ethernet

Acoleman18

Hello everyone,

As me and my family are moving closer to building our new house,  Me and my dad are wanting to run Ethernet to every room in the house. The only problem I see right now is that there is no isp available in my area of where the new house will be built. We are trying to contract Comcast to run main line down our road. (Nightmare). Anyways the point is what could be all the possible uses/ needs of Ethernet in the house. 

Questions:

How many plugs in each room?

Celing mounted plugs for routers?

What type of cable to use?

Where to buy cabling from?

Best quality cable?

Tips when doing this?

What size switch do I need to terminate everything with?

What type of switch?

My dad also wants to install a surveillance system in this house. What do most cameras use for hookup?

I also plan on having my computer station set up in the basement where I would hope all the cabling could terminate to. 

All I'm looking for is some advice from people who have done this or are planning to do this as well.

Thanks,

Andrew

P.S House is 3 stories tall

3 minutes ago, Acoleman18 said:

Hello everyone,

As me and my family are moving closer to building our new house,  Me and my dad are wanting to run Ethernet to every room in the house. The only problem I see right now is that there is no isp available in my area of where the new house will be built. We are trying to contract Comcast to run main line down our road. (Nightmare). Anyways the point is what could be all the possible uses/ needs of Ethernet in the house. 

Questions:

Best quality cable?

Tips when doing this?

What type of switch?

My dad also wants to install a surveillance system in this house. What do most cameras use for hookup?

I also plan on having my computer station set up in the basement where I would hope all the cabling could terminate to. 

All I'm looking for is some advice from people who have done this or are planning to do this as well.

Thanks,

Andrew

I'm still a 14 year old kid, but I helped my dad run security camera wires around the house (2 stories.) My security cameras are "analog" and they use a power connector and a signal connector. The wires are ribbon style and they can run through walls, although difficult.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

It all depends on your building layout. What room should be used for what. Where will the power supply sockets be, where will there be desks, do you want a futuristic refrigirator with internet and so on. If you have determined that, you can go and thing about how many connections and where. Also, why don't you want wifi/wireles internet/intranet?

I think about how many wired devices will be in the area of the outlet and add one or two more since they don't cost much more and helps with future needs.

If you want ceiling mounts, I'd suggest using AP's rather than routers such as the Ubiquiti, TP-Link, or equivalent.

I used Cat7 so that I don't have to redo the wiring for a long time.

Home Depot, Lowes, Newegg, Amazon, etc. but mostly Lowes.

The cables are pretty much the same. The difference is how consistent you'll be when crimping and wiring.

Plan, plan, plan, plan^2, (plan^2+plan^3)^4. Just plan. Start with your attic and work your way down taking note of outlets and possible drop points.

RJ45 and wall plates.

RJ45.

Make sure to buy a good managed switch with a few more ports than you'll need.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

the lat time I wired a house I did a couple of things.

Where ever I wanted one Jack, I ended up running two.  In my case I had PoE devices in mind.

Don't try to run two jacks off of one Ethernet run, you'll only end up with a half duplex connection on each jack.

If you have the money maybe consider running STP Cat 6a.  When done correctly Cat6a wil suport 10GB at up to 100meters.  STP (Sheilded Twisted Pair) is better protected against interference.  These is a lot or potential interference out there and STP is a reasonable guard against it.

Lastly, are you running ethernet in any areas that experience large temperature swings?  If so there's such a thing as GEL filled UV shielded Ethernet.  You don't need to do your whole house with this stuff, just areas that get really hot or cold. It's also great if your going to connect to Wifi Devices on the outside of your house.

35 minutes ago, Acoleman18 said:

-SNIP-

I would for sure contact all ISP's in your area first to see what kind of service they can provide first either it be a short range link or physical line they must run to the home. As for cabling if your just going with regular 1 gigabit ethernet you can use CAT 5e but for 10 gigabit you will want to set up to CAT 6a. Since your doing an entire house get an entire box of bulk cable, from that getting keystone jacks and wall plates for the cables will be good. 

For places to get material tools and supplies Monoprice is a pretty good option while not being overpriced. 

8 hours ago, Acoleman18 said:

Hello everyone,

Questions:

Best quality cable?

Tips when doing this?

What type of switch?

Thanks,

Andrew

As far as cable goes Id look at Cat 5e or Cat 6. They might be the same price.

As far as Comcast is concerned. They might have to invest thousands to run that cable down the road. Depending on how their network is setup, they might have to run more fiber and new node. If thats the case. Your screwed. Dont be surprised if they want $10,000-$15,000 to do this. They are not the type to do it for free.

As far as terminating it, Id probably use a patch panel. Then run cable from the Patch Panel a switch as needed. Because your not going to need all cables hooked up at once. Of course I have never did an Ethernet setup in my house. But this is what I would do. You wont have more than 1 router. Instead you will use wireless AP's to get the wireless through out the house. How many you need will depend on the size of the house. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.