Help Restoring a Unstable Overclocked GPU

Hello, I'm a new user here as my friend recommended I come here as a last resort for my problem.

I have a friend, who is just getting into gaming computers and how to use them. While he was exploring the CAM Software (I'm sure many of you are familiar with it, if not info on it can be found here https://www.camwebapp.com/ ) he accessed the tuning panel and accidentally turned the Core Clock slider all the way up, and exited the program without realizing that it would save his changes. After exiting his screen went black and his computer restarted, and now anytime he tries to run the computer with HDMI hooked up from the graphics card, it shows symptoms of an Unstable Overclock and crashes. It appears as if his CPU fan is also running at extremely high speeds. 

I have tried many things to fix it:
-Unplugged the GPU from the MoBo and used on-board graphics to access the CAM software and reset the changes

-Reset the CMOS

-Unistalled CAM and other Monitoring Softwares

-Tried using MSI Afterburner to turn fan speeds down.

Finally, as a Hail Mary, I am currently trying a Factory Reset (Although a friend of mine had said this might not work due to Settings being stored internally in the GPU). I am all out of options and I really need some help if anyone has any ideas. The computer is a pre-built computer from ibuypower, the GPU I believe is a Radeon 390, if anyone needs any more info that I failed to provide, please let me know.

I appreciate any help given!

-Jericho

7 minutes ago, jgrillo1997 said:

I have tried many things to fix it:
-Unplugged the GPU from the MoBo and used on-board graphics to access the CAM software and reset the changes

-Reset the CMOS

-Unistalled CAM and other Monitoring Softwares

-Tried using MSI Afterburner to turn fan speeds down.

The cooler a CPU or GPU runs, the higher an overclock it can handle. Therefore, turning the GPU fan speed down will make the card more unstable, not less.

Fixing it should be simple enough, if you're able to boot into Windows. Boot into windows, open the program, and reset the core slider in any overclocking program. Use MSI Afterburner, if you still have it installed, and click the reset-to-defaults button, which I've highlighted in this screenshot.

Afterburner reset.jpg

If you can't boot into Windows normally, you can try booting into Safe Mode, and fixing the issue there.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

so you're saying that the overclock is stored on the GPU? I don't think that's how it works.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The cooler a CPU or GPU runs, the higher an overclock it can handle. Therefore, turning the GPU fan speed down will make the card more unstable, not less.

Fixing it should be simple enough, if you're able to boot into Windows. Boot into windows, open the program, and reset the core slider in any overclocking program. Use MSI Afterburner, if you still have it installed, and click the reset-to-defaults button, which I've highlighted in this screenshot.

Afterburner reset.jpg

If you can't boot into Windows normally, you can try booting into Safe Mode, and fixing the issue there.

well cranking the slider all the way up is an overclock no card can handle (its like +1000 MHz)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

23 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

so you're saying that the overclock is stored on the GPU? I don't think that's how it works.

You're the one saying that their GPU is stuck in an unstable overclock. If that's the case, then reset the default GPU settings.

I don't have experience with CAM for overclocking, and I don't know if it would have saved your overclock in some file that gets loaded when the system first starts up. Regardless, either your card is stuck in an overclock, or it isn't. If it is, then reset it.

22 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

well cranking the slider all the way up is an overclock no card can handle (its like +1000 MHz)

I'm not sure what your point is, but some GPUs are voltage-locked in their BIOS. Mine is, and that's why I'm able to crank the core voltage all the way to its maximum, without danger. It's the voltage and heat that is harmful to the GPU hardware. If the core speed overclock was active, and unstable, then the display driver would probably keep crashing.

What's model is the GPU?

34 minutes ago, jgrillo1997 said:

After exiting his screen went black and his computer restarted, and now anytime he tries to run the computer with HDMI hooked up from the graphics card, it shows symptoms of an Unstable Overclock and crashes. It appears as if his CPU fan is also running at extremely high speeds. 

It should make no difference which port a monitor is hooked up to.

Install CPU-z, and see what speed the CPU is running at, and what its temperature is.

Edit: Actually, I think CPU-z doesn't show temperatures. Get Real Temp, or CPUID to monitor CPU temperatures.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I was trying to turn the fan speed down on the CPU because it had gotten significantly faster. Also I was able to get back into the cam software using The onboard graphics. I unplugged the GPU from the motherboard and use VGA with the monitor and after going back into the software and resetting the sliders and then plugging the graphics card back in nothing changed, the fans were all still jacked up and the GPU still unstable / crashed 

6 minutes ago, jgrillo1997 said:

I was trying to turn the fan speed down on the CPU because it had gotten significantly faster. Also I was able to get back into the cam software using The onboard graphics. I unplugged the GPU from the motherboard and use VGA with the monitor and after going back into the software and resetting the sliders and then plugging the graphics card back in nothing changed, the fans were all still jacked up and the GPU still unstable / crashed 

If the CPU fans turned up, it is because the CPU was putting out more heat, requiring it to be cooled more. You shouldn't lower the CPU fan speed without confirming what the CPU temperature is.

You can check your CPU temperature in your computer's BIOS, or, you can download and run this program, CPUID, to see what your CPU temperature is: http://download.cpuid.com/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.30.zip

Or, download and run Real Temp, to monitor your CPU temperature: https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You're the one saying that their GPU is stuck in an unstable overclock. If that's the case, then reset the default GPU settings.

I don't have experience with CAM for overclocking, and I don't know if it would have saved your overclock in some file that gets loaded when the system first starts up. Regardless, either your card is stuck in an overclock, or it isn't. If it is, then reset it.

I'm not sure what your point is, but some GPUs are voltage-locked in their BIOS. Mine is, and that's why I'm able to crank the core voltage all the way to its maximum, without danger. It's the voltage and heat that is harmful to the GPU hardware. If the core speed overclock was active, and unstable, then the display driver would probably keep crashing.

What's model is the GPU?

Install CPU-z, and see what speed the CPU is running at, and what its temperature is.

I did reset the GPU settings using the cam software and it apparently didn't change anything the graphics card is still crashing. Also what I was saying about the monitor being plugged into VGA is that his motherboard has onboard graphics so I unplugged the acatual GPU to boot and get into cam that way to reset settings. As it stands now I can't turn on his device with the GPU plugged in because it takes about 5 seconds on his desktop before it bugs out and crashes. Is there something I can manually do on the MoBo/ GPU to reset settings ? The GPU is s Radeon 390. Sorry if I'm still leaving s lot of stuff out or some of my terms aren't technologically correct , I don't particularly excel in this realm yet either. 

Which version of Windows are you running?

It sounds like you might have messed with both your CPU and GPU overlcocks, with that CAM program, so I would try:

1. Turn off the PC
2. Remove the GPU from the system
3. Start the system up, and boot into Safe Mode, with network capability

4. Reinstall the CAM software, and use it to reset everything to default, including the fan operation

5. shut down and restart the PC, and boot into Windows normally

6. monitor the CPU temperature with Real Temp, or CPUID, to make sure it is within safe operating parameters

7. Shut down and reinstall the GPU, and boot into Windows, and see if the GPU problem persists

If the GPU problem persists, then:

1. Turn off the PC
2. Start the system up, and boot into Safe Mode, with network capability (this will hopefully load Windows with your 390 GPU installed, without loading any custom overclock profiles)

3. Open the CAM program, and again reset everything to default - this time with the 390 GPU in the system

4. Restart and boot into Windows normally, and see if the problem persists

If the problem is still there, then:

1. Turn off the PC

2. Remove the GPU from the system

3. Start the system up, and boot into Safe Mode, with network capability

4. Download and run Display Driver Uninstaller

5. Fully remove the AMD display drivers from the system

6. Shut down the PC, and reinstall the GPU

7. Boot into Windows normally, and see if the problem is gone

8. If it is, then download the display driver from AMD's website, and install it

9. Restart the PC and see if the problem still persists

Also, in the CAM utility, under the tab labelled Tuning, at least in the version shown in this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/-AfNusAwrWI?t=383

... there is a checkbox that says "APPLY TUNING WHEN SYSTEM STARTS". Make sure that checkboxed is left unchecked, so that the utility doesn't set any profile to overclock your GPU when Windows starts up.

45 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

What's model is the GPU?

Thanks for the input will definitely try these and then post back if there's still a problem. I appreciate it.