Apple fires members of staff over inappropriate photos Fiasco in Australia

AlTech

Apple is firing several staff members after a fiasco was found.

Apple heard rumors of foul and atrocious activity and followed suite. The investigation revealed that Apple Store employees ,in an Apple store in Brisbane Australia, shared photographs of female colleagues and female customers and in fact showed that the offending staff members also ranked them on a scale from 1 to 10.

As you can imagine, Apple was not happy........

Apple confirmed an inquiry and said "several" jobs had been terminated.

But it said its inquiry had so far not shown that any photos had been stolen.

No-one had been photographed without consent, the inquiry had indicated.

Intimate images

The photos - including more than 100 close-up and intimate images according to the Courier-Mail - were said to have been shared and the women's bodies then rated.

The newspaper said the possible privacy breach came to light after a fellow employee noticed a store technician looking through a customer's phone in the repair room.

One staff member told the newspaper they were concerned the same thing was happening in other Australian Apple stores, including in Sydney.

Apple said the allegations, if true, would constitute a violation of the company's business conduct policy.

So yeah, I'm surprised that this happened at such a large company like Apple. I think that the offending workers got what they deserved (they were fired).

What would you do if you were Apple and some employees did this in your store?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37642095

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Was bout to say "Fire? Would that cause explosion too?" but then realise this is not Samsung and that joke is too old

19 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

If presidential candidates can do it, why not Apple employees?

Image result for he's right you know meme

21 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

If presidential candidates can do it, why not Apple employees?

Because Australians more often than not summarily can this kind of sexist shite.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

31 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apple heard rumors of foul and atrocious activity and followed suite. The investigation revealed that Apple Store employees ,in an Apple store in Brisbane Australia, shared photographs of female colleagues and female customers and in fact showed that the offending staff members also ranked them on a scale from 1 to 10.

So yeah, I'm surprised that this happened at such a large company like Apple. I think that the offending workers got what they deserved (they were fired).

i'd tell em to  put those pics away, then give em to me at the end of the day ;3

MF UH BEANS

All pictures were taken with consent so what is the issue? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What if they took photos of and rated males instead?

no problems there

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

you're surprised? The larger the company/institution the easier it is to fly under the radar. The risk,if caught, is higher, but the risk of getting caught can be much lower since so many others work around you, so peoples activities arent under nearly as much scrutiny by the higher ups as with a smaller company where the boss(es) has more direct relationship with employees.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

You're surprised low wage retail employees were looking at peoples pictures?  

Really?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Over an especially loud intercom. 

"Attention *insert names of offenders here*! Please report to the Apple HQ for a public hanging, error, I mean, your firing. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

hahahahaha, so it wasn't apple that found out

it was suspected, and reported, then the apple PR machine went into overdrive 

i think apple is to blame, these guys had very little supervision and oversight, and having seen not only the sort of images some people have as a lock screen, and the amount of photo and nudes on those same people phones its an easy thing to copy them

also, just a note, there are three apple stores in brisbane, this was first found in the store at carindale, and it appears to have happened in the brisbane city store too, and could well be something that is wider spread as it appears to be something that a trainer from outside pointed out.

8 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Apple has a policy and they broke it..... So apple had to teach them a lesson.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What if they took photos of and rated males instead?

It would be also inappropriate.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

If we are stretching this argument pretty wide, I would say they are subject to "time theft" for viewing pics under company time.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Wait am i the only one confused about this??!!!! hahahahah wtf? So we cant rate women on how hot they are on a scale of 10? WAIT who the fuck says i cant do it lmfao me and my buddies along with almost all men do this lmao why the fuck is this a big deal? Am i the only one here who thinks they shouldnt be fired for that? Excuse me as humans we have a thing called attraction for a reason we feel more attracted to a person who we find hotter and if a bunch of people have the same taste then theyre just sharing that opinion how the hell.... my god its the work of SJW!!!

6 minutes ago, Zeeee said:

Wait am i the only one confused about this??!!!! hahahahah wtf? So we cant rate women on how hot they are on a scale of 10? WAIT who the fuck says i cant do it lmfao me and my buddies along with almost all men do this lmao why the fuck is this a big deal? Am i the only one here who thinks they shouldnt be fired for that? Excuse me as humans we have a thing called attraction for a reason we feel more attracted to a person who we find hotter and if a bunch of people have the same taste then theyre just sharing that opinion how the hell.... my god its the work of SJW!!!

You must not have read it. The problem isn't they were rating girls. (well from a pr perspective that is a problem but not the main one). The issue, is they were going through customers' phones and posting the pics from it; rating 1-10.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

2 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

You must not have read it. The problem isn't they were rating girls. (well from a pr perspective that is a problem but not the main one). The issue, is they were going through customers' phones and posting the pics from it; rating 1-10.

OH breach of privacy yeah no that makes total sense now okay wow phew i was confused

Just now, Zeeee said:

OH breach of privacy yeah no that makes total sense now okay wow phew i was confused

Yeah. Even if these employees weren't briefed to not do this sort of thing, I can't imagine what morals these employees hold to do it anyways. It's common sense you don't go through someone pics and THEN POST THEM ONLINE. God, people suck.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Erm, as long as the employees kept the photos among themselves I don't see how this is an issue?

Rating girls seems like a very 'just guys being guy's thing to do and whoever (the colleague) sold them out was probably just being a pissy brat.

Edit: Nevermind, seems like the offenders did indeed distribute the photos publicly which is an open breach of privacy

12 minutes ago, Lukiose said:

Rating girls seems like a very 'just guys being guy's thing to do and whoever (the colleague) sold them out was probably just being a pissy brat.

Pretty sexist right there, not all guys ogle and rate women.

24 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Pretty sexist right there, not all guys ogle and rate women.

They do all do. Some may have stopped at a certain age (some did not), but pretty sure all do.

23 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

no they where absolutely not.

Brisbane's Courier-Mail, said dozens of photos were taken without knowledge or consent and that other images were stolen from customer phones.

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apple has a policy and they broke it..... So apple had to teach them a lesson.

It would be also inappropriate.

there was no consent, they should be criminally prosecuted. they stole the pictures of phones and took them without customers knowing according to the article. 

Brisbane's Courier-Mail, said dozens of photos were taken without knowledge or consent and that other images were stolen from customer phones.