My PSU gave up on life, need advice on a new one

yannickverc

HeyGuys

So my PSU broke down yesterday. Had a CM G750M. Had it for 3 years or so I think and it gave up yesterday. 

Now I'd like a new one but since I have little to no knowledge about PSU's I'd like to have your opinions.

Looking for a 1000W PSU 80% gold or plat.  (Gonna upgrade my PC with a 1080ti when it releases next year)

I don't wanna cheap out on my PSU anymore so there's not really a price limit :) 

Thanks in advance!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

get a EVGA SuperNova 650(or 750) G2, they are good quality and not super expensive and you really dont need 1000W

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Ernest_L said:

Oh neat, my laziness showed off again as I could've found that topic with a simple search.. 

Just to be sure. T1 = best and T7 = worst I suppose?

59 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

get a EVGA SuperNova 650(or 750) G2, they are good quality and not super expensive and you really dont need 1000W

Yea I know the 1000W is a little overkill but I don't wanna go to close to the advertised watts. The 1080ti will surely suggest a 800W PSU or something.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

a 750w is enough, no need for 1000w. i'd recommend a corsair RMX 750w for $100 only if you want to SLI. get an evga supernova g2 550w for $75 if you don't.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, yannickverc said:

Yup

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

No need for 1000w 

I would get a Corsair or Seasonic unit 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

6 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

Oh neat, my laziness showed off again as I could've found that topic with a simple search.. 

Yea I know the 1000W is a little overkill but I don't wanna go to close to the advertised watts. The 1080ti will surely suggest a 800W PSU or something.

If you insist on significant overkill, then I'd suggest a Corsair RM850x. 850W is still overkill with any single graphics card, but at least it's less overkill than 1000W. And the RM850x is excellent and reasonably priced.

If you can step down to only a little overkill, a Seasonic G750 would be a good pick.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

If you insist on significant overkill, then I'd suggest a Corsair RM850x. 850W is still overkill with any single graphics card, but at least it's less overkill than 1000W. And the RM850x is excellent and reasonably priced.

If you can step down to only a little overkill, a Seasonic G750 would be a good pick.

Not sure how I'm feeling about the RMx, Think I'm gonna go with the RMi from corsair.

43 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

Not sure how I'm feeling about the RMx, Think I'm gonna go with the RMi from corsair.

RMi and RMx use the same basic design, the RMi just has Corsair Link support and a better fan.

3 hours ago, yannickverc said:

nah probably maximum of 700W sugested

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, yannickverc said:

Two Titan XPs are going to use roughly as much power in SLI as two 1080tis and the two use like 650W paired so expect one card to most certainly not need 1000W. If I were buying an X99 system with two 1080tis then I'd personally buy a 1000W PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||