"New York's finest" are upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile :)

AlTech

The NYPD, often called "New York's finest" are upgrading to Windows 10 for Phones :).

nypd26n-1-web.jpg

Image courtesy of MSPowerUser.

NYPD are very happy with Windows Phones and are updating their devices to Windows 10 Mobile. They've made quite a few apps for their officers to have the best possible tools.

As a result of them using Windows Phones, they were able to have a 12% faster response time than when using iPhone.

An any particular day more than 5,500 handsets are in service, and the officers credit it with preventing and solving crime much faster, with a 12% faster response time to incidents for example.

The department noted they chose the OS over iOS and Android for its security and manageability, and they are now looking to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile to take enable new features, including connecting to the city’s array of security cameras or two-way digital dispatch.

Lol. One of the phones they use is the same as mine :).

These are what they use their phones for:

The current Windows Phones (Lumia 640 XL and Lumia 830) feature the following capabilities via apps:

911: Officers are able to get 911 calls directly, without waiting for dispatchers to read the report.
Search: The app allows officers to comb through names, police records, license plates, warrants and any other details stored within its police database.
Crime Information Center: This is a bulletin board with wanted fliers, missing persons and safety alerts.
Messaging: Police send messages based on their assignments, rankings, precinct or location. The sender can set the messages to go out to a specific, geo-fenced location. The NYPD has used this for events like the Thanksgiving Parade and in emergencies like the Chelsea bombing near 23rd Street in September.
DD5: Otherwise known as the Case Management System, it’s a digital notepad that detectives use for complaint follow-ups.
Forms: Officers use this app to fill out paperwork, filing accident reports, domestic violence reports and aiding reports.
NYPD U: Cops can watch training videos, look at slideshows and take quizzes straight from their phones to stay up to date on the department’s latest policies.

And this is what they had to say about their use of Windows Phones now and in the future.

We’ve spent the past year and a half building out a platform, getting the data in order, and giving out the devices,” said Jessica Tisch, the department’s deputy commissioner for information technology. “Now that we have that platform, and it’s 36,000 officers strong, we plan to continue to build on it.

Nice :). I think more government bodies should use Windows Phones. Security, enterprise management and specialized app deployment to enterprise devices.

https://mspoweruser.com/nypd-looking-to-upgrade-36000-phones-to-windows-10-mobile/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

M$ probably paid them, anythings better than an iphone right? :D (for work atleast)

Android ftw

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

Android ftw

But Android crashes to much to be used in mission critical situations.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

But Android crashes to much to be used in mission critical situations.

well but it can be replaced as a hand grenade instead

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

M$ probably paid them, anythings better than an iphone right? :D (for work atleast)

I'm guessing they considered iPhones because most of the officers would be familiar with it.

But they obviously were more impressed by Microsoft's offering.

Edited by AluminiumTech
Fixed a typo

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Have any stats/sources to back this up?

*Runs away and hides in a dark corner*

No but it's no secret that Android crashes way more than IOS and Windows Phone Windows 10 Mobile.

Just now, zMeul said:

-snip-

well 1ms and 15ms makes a different a lot

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No but it's no secret that Android crashes way more than IOS and Windows Phone.

bullshit-detector.jpg

and I own 2 android phones, one from the single core era and one that's quad-core; oh and a tablet

Windows is more stable than Linux (what android is) and UNIX (what iOS basically is) - GTFO!

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

bullshit-detector.jpg

10/10 Bullshit detector LMAO :D.

Also, things to note:

With Android, the hardware specs they are using (probably determined by price) would cause Android to lag... (1GB RAM would really suck on Android)

iPhones are expensive and fragile.

And frankly, iPhones can be distracting when there's Snapchat on the app store.....

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

10/10 Bullshit detector LMAO :D.

Also, things to note:

With Android, the hardware specs they are using (probably determined by price) would cause Android to lag... (1GB RAM would really suck on Android)

iPhones are expensive and fragile.

And frankly, iPhones can be distracting when there's Snapchat on the app store.....

because you can use your Lumia with a fork ?!?!

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

As a result of them using Windows Phones, they were able to have a 12% faster response time than when using iPhone.

I think we definitely do need some clarification on this though... I find it impossible to believe that police are now getting to the scene 12% faster because of Windows Phone.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, zMeul said:

because you can use your Lumia with a fork ?!?!

IDEK.

Both of the phones they use have 1GB RAM and a Snapdragon 400 SOC. Try running that on Android and come back to me with how many times it lagged. 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think we definitely do need some clarification on this though... I find it impossible to believe that police are now getting to the scene 12% faster because of Windows Phone.

I agree, clarification is needed. And now everybody is saying Android is super stable and never crashes.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

because they use Google Maps instead of Bing Maps xD

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Both of the phones they use have 1GB RAM and a Snapdragon 400 SOC. Try running that on Android and come back to me with how many times it lagged.

1st, you need to explain to me why I, or the NYPD, would use SnapChat

Just now, zMeul said:

because they use Google Maps instead of Bing Maps xD

You're very funny. They're probably using Bing Maps if it's on their phone.

And Bing Maps isn't bad.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

*Runs away and hides in a dark corner*

No but it's no secret that Android crashes way more than IOS and Windows Phone.

I know Android crashing was a running meme, but we are beyond the Froyo days and its been pretty solid as of late. I also remember when Android had less app crashes than iOS(source), and it wouldn't surprise me if the same holds true today(Apple just needs to try better). My experience with Windows Phone has been less than desirable with reliability, but I've also only used WP8(which is trash) and experimental builds of WM10(and given that they aren't the final product I won't call them out). I cant find unbiased statistics on Windows Phone app crashing, but if you (or anybody) could that would be great.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

1st, you need to explain to me why I would use SnapChat

Because many people who say no to Windows Phones often give the excuse of not being able to use Snapchat......

Loads of people (albeit younger people) use Snapchat.

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

I know Android crashing was a running meme,

Why can't it still be :(

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

but we are beyond the Froyo days and its been pretty solid as of late. I also remember when Android had less app crashes than iOS(source), and it wouldn't surprise me if the same holds true today(Apple just needs to try better). My experience with Windows Phone has been less than desirable with reliability, but I've also only used WP8(which is trash) and experimental builds of WM10(and given that they aren't the final product I won't call them out). I cant find unbiased statistics on Windows Phone app crashing, but if you (or anybody) could that would be great.

Gimme a minute and I'll try to find some data.

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm guessing they considered iPhones because most of the officers would be familiar with it.

But they obviously were more impressed by Microsoft's offering.

Or annoyed with Apple refusing to unlock phones.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Because many people who say no to Windows Phones often give the excuse of not being able to use Snapchat......

tell that to the NYPD

28 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Loads of people (albeit younger people) use Snapchat.

Yeah guilty :P Legit excuse though, my girlfriend lives in a different town and snapchat is our primary form of communication, its virtually the only app i use. I would love a windows phone, i actually worked for Microsoft for a year and had a Lumia 930, loved it. All Microsoft has to do is get Snapchat (and Pokemon lol ;) ) and their market share will increase significantly imo. 

On topic though, good to see some big adoptions of windows phone, seems the platform is not dying off, im looking forward to the resurgence sometime soon hopefully.