Best 2560X1440 IPS Monitor?

orangecat

Wouldn't you actually have a larger field of view? Since both monitors will display 1920 pixels across, the 1200p one shows 1200 vertically. So it's the same width, and more vertical, right?

No, due to HOR+ scaling method... The vertical field of view always stays the same, so moving from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200, the image you see would basically be expanded until the top and bottom of the image touch the top and bottom edges of the display, and any horizontal view that is pushed off the edges of the monitor in the process is simply lost.

(EDIT: if you've ever used an older iPhone or iPod Touch with the 3:2 aspect screen and watched a 16:9 video on it, when you double tap to expand the video until it hits the top and bottom, but the sides of it expand off the screen and aren't visible?  That's basically what happens in games when you move to a taller aspect ratio.)

No, due to HOR+ scaling method... The vertical field of view always stays the same, so moving from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200, the image you see would basically be expanded until the top and bottom of the image touch the top and bottom edges of the display, and any horizontal view that is pushed off the edges of the monitor in the process is simply lost.

(EDIT: if you've ever used an older iPhone or iPod Touch with the 3:2 aspect screen and watched a 16:9 video on it, when you double tap to expand the video until it hits the top and bottom, but the sides of it expand off the screen and aren't visible? That's basically what happens in games when you move to a taller aspect ratio.)

Oh wow... That's really dumb

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

One of the main reasons I want the monitor, great quality, incredibly great warranty since the monitors are under the buisness section of Dell so there isn't any pissing around.

Free no-hassle advanced RMA that is basically 1-2 days. Best in the industry, by far.

You get what you pay for, and part of that cost is the support.

Ehh... any other method of scaling to different aspect ratios creates a bit of a mess :P

Yeah, sadly it would. It would be a PITA to program though.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Does anyone know the build quality, service, etc. of the monitors from Overlord Computers? 

One of my friends recommended I take a look since I'm looking a new monitor (interested in this one: http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-displays/products/tempest-x270me-tempered

Any help would be awesome! 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Does anyone know the build quality, service, etc. of the monitors from Overlord Computers? 

One of my friends recommended I take a look since I'm looking a new monitor (interested in this one: http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-displays/products/tempest-x270me-tempered

Any help would be awesome! 

You get what you paid for. To me the pictures screams ultra cheap build quality. And usually the pictures are better than real life.

THE best consumer 2560x1440 monitor is the viewsonic VP2770, Best response rate, One of the best preset colours. Semi glossy matte coating so no grainy matte.

No backlight bleed. It doesn't use PWM backlighting.

Overall the best. Menacing tuba has a review of it if that counts for something.

Your comment feels a bit flawed to me. 

All IPS/PLS(it's a PLS not IPS monitor) monitors suffer from backlight bleeding that is part of the panel. The response time is average with the rest of the 2560x1440, maybe a little farther back in the pack.

Most new monitors like the Dell U2713HM and PB278Q use a light AG coating that won't cause that grainy affect like older monitors would(eg. dell U2711h).

Most newer high end monitors are all using w-led like the U2713HM so that isn't as special anymore. The review I skimmed over said the colors were okay, but nothing amazing either.

source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vp2770-led.htm

The H model is wide-gamut the HM is not. Read the reviews on the Dells though, they have suffered major quality control issues that result in cross hatching and back lighting issues.

Majority of the issues that Dell has had is not necessarily there fault as they don't make the panels, but LG and with R2.0 most of the issues have been fixed.

backlight bleeding?  we're talking about the same thing right?

I'm talking about the monitor body/bezel not 'matching' the shape and dimensions of the panel itself and having a physical GAP where light comes through (usually VERY small, but light is VERY VERY small lol).

that doesn't seem like what you're talking about though.

All IPS/PLS(it's a PLS not IPS monitor) monitors suffer from backlight bleeding that is part of the panel. The response time is average with the rest of the 2560x1440, maybe a little farther back in the pack.

Most new monitors like the Dell U2713HM and PB278Q use a light AG coating that won't cause that grainy affect like older monitors would(eg. dell U2711h).

Most newer high end monitors are all using w-led like the U2713HM so that isn't as special anymore. The review I skimmed over said the colors were okay, but nothing amazing either.

Majority of the issues that Dell has had is not necessarily there fault as they don't make the panels, but LG and with R2.0 most of the issues have been fixed.

PRAD has the VP2770 measured at 7ms vs 15ms on the dell.

I think you may be talking about IPS glow, not backlight bleed. To clarify, PLS is a variant of IPS, just as S-IPS and AH-IPS are. Samsung decided to give their variant a more unique name to make it seem like a new technology, and clearly it worked xD

Recent high end prosumer monitors use GB-LED backlighting. See the Dell U2413, U2713H and the ASUS PA249Q and PA279Q

First of all PLS is everything that is ips and more. Deeper blacks ect..

Second the VP2770 also has a semi gloss coating so no grainy effect.

And the PB278Q used PWM, Along with some other cheaper 2560x1440 monitors because it's cost effective.

And it does have one of the best response times in the market as said below and tested by multiple people. (Beside the korean monitors due to the lack of ports)

(Beside the korean monitors due to the lack of ports)

Actually, this turns out to be false for many of them. They use ultra cheap, and poorly designed circuitry that makes the monitor have an excessively high input lag.

As an example:

Achieva monitor: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/achieva_27_ips-zero-g.htm 23-24 ms input lag.

Dell new IPS panel (has multiple inputs): http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm ~1ms input lag.

EIZO has a consumer grade monitor with color processor, and multiple inputs, and has an input lag of near ~0ms (FS2333)

Basically all the ones that have an on screen menu of some sort, multiple ports or not.

Well whatever, who cares, you get what you paid for, so I see no problem.