4chan is dying/shutting down [news ...? ]

Coaxialgamer

Didn't think this worth putting in the news sections due because of the formatting and the subject itself . If a mod thinks this is worth putting in there ,  feel free to move it .

So 4chan apparently is shutting down in the near future due to operating costs.

In a post titled “Winter is Coming” Hiroyuki Nishimura, who purchased 4chan from founder Christopher “moot” Poole in 2015, outlined three possible options for saving 4chan.

Thank you for thinking about 4chan.
We had tried to keep 4chan as is.
But I failed. I am sincerely sorry.

Some notice there are no more middle ads and bottom ads on 4chan.
Ads don’t work well. So we reduced advertisement servers cost.
4chan can’t afford infrastructure costs, network fee, servers cost, CDN and etc, now.

4chan have three options.

-Halve the traffic cost
limit uploading image sizes
use slower servers.
close some boards

-Much more ads
pop-up / pop under ads
malicious ads

-More 4chan pass users
more features

None of these options looks promising. The first option is the most desperate—deliberately lower traffic, in order to make the site less expensive to operate. The second would entail flooding the site with “malicious ads,” making it less enjoyable to spend time there (and thereby making the ads less effective). The third will require getting users to pay money in order to access more content. That might work for users of niche high-end media sites, but might not for 4chan’s legions of anonymous trolls.

tumblr_inline_ntgslfKWCu1sysrze_540.jpg

Numerous articles have already covered this topic , but most of them have a clear bias/agenda plus i don't feel like hunting down a decent source that covers this .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan

Quote from here , but the article still seems incredibly SJW-y , so keep that in mind .

Anyway , i personally do not use the site , but there is no denying how massive the site has been in shaping internet culture .  

What do you think ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

They recently added a restriction on the size of .webm files uploaded there (now there's a max of 2MB files). Maybe that was some cost reducing measures too?

To be honest, I doubt they make much money at all right now. Most users probably have an adblocker of some sorts and it's not the type of community I would see that is willing to pay for passes (much).

That Asian guy probably saw some opportunities in the image board that just wasn't there.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I wonder where the 4chan circle jerk will go to if this is realy true.

personally i like 4chan because it has given me a few laughs with the pranks they pulled like the microvave to charge your iphone thing and sometimes there was a honestly helpfull tread, even on\b.

i wonder who is going to take the 4chan domainname if it realy dies/shuts down because the name might be worth a decent amount of money on its own

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Meh. It'd be better if both 4chan and Reddit disappeared so all the circlejerking involved with both would die.

honestly reddit is okay, rip 4chan , nobody will miss you since there is always {$_random_number}chan

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Who cares really. It's just a place for trolls and bold internet claims. BS all the way in 

I honestly never been on anyone of of them sites I heard of Reddit for ages but never once been on it. What the heck is 4chan.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Meh. It'd be better if both 4chan and Reddit disappeared so all the circlejerking involved with both would die.

reddit has some pretty good boards like /r/justrolledintotheshop and other boards too.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why not start accepting donations? Reddit does that and it seems to work ok. If 4chan really does shutdown everybody will probalby move over to 8chan or something.