Microsoft discontinues Band 2 and confirms no replacement in 2016

AlTech

Microsoft is discontinuing the Band 2 and all documentation ever associated with it and has openly commented that there will be no successor to it in 2016.

It seems that Band 2 owners will continue to get firmware and software updates but no more units are being sold.

We have sold through our existing Band 2 inventory and have no plans to release another Band device this year. We remain committed to supporting our Microsoft Band 2 customers through Microsoft Stores and our customer support channels and will continue to invest in the Microsoft Health platform, which is open to all hardware and apps partners across Windows, iOS, and Android devices

Other retailers such as Amazon have decided to continue sales until they run out of stock.

Opinion: I think that the delay for the Band 3 is due to getting Windows 10 ready for the IoT smartwatch form factor since Microsoft hinted at Windows 10 running on the Band 3.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band-2-listings-go-missing-microsoft-store-sites-worldwide

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I am so glad the wereable fad it's starting to die down.

I'm that one person still waiting for the Band 3..........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The Microsoft Band was the only band with the most accurate tracking (amongst other consumer products) and was inexpensive for what you were getting, and generally well thought out. The software was there as well. The only issue the Band has was that it was not comfortable. The Band 2 was much better in comfort than the Band 1, and improved the glass to make it scratch resistant while still keeping the glass curved, but not there yet.

I think if they fixed that with the Band 3 with some proper advertisement (yes, I know, I am funny), it would have gotten great success, much like the Surface Pro 3, were really after the 3rd iteration the product really took off shelves.

I guess we won't see Panos Panay Band 3 release:

Fitness-Microsoft-Bracelet-Band-3-was-li

Which looks like they got it nearly perfectly circular for comfort. So, it looks like they were a hair of getting it (assuming it didn't have any other downsides, like horrible battery life)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I hope they do a fire sale

Microsoft has confirmed that they have sold through their current Band 2 inventory

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Other retailers such as Amazon have decided to continue sales until they run out of stock.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I could be wrong but fitness wearables in general have always seemed like a superfluous commodity to me. If you're counting steps that carefully you probably have the wrong attitude towards exercising.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The Microsoft Band was the only band with the most accurate tracking (amongst other consumer products) and was inexpensive for what you were getting, and generally well thought out. The software was there as well.

Seems to be a common theme with Microsoft products *cough* Kinect *cough*.

Anyway I thought this thing sold out almost immediately or was that band 1?

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

one more thing MicroSoft killed off

who / what's next ?

linkedin

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>