AMD Will Tape Out 20nm & 14nm Chips In 2013 & Early 2014.

TechFan@ic

You can already do that with the current AMD chips as long as you have a good dual 120 (H100i) or dual 140 (Kraken X60) liquid cooler.

FinFET transistors are three-dimentional unlike FD-SOI or HKMG which are planar, 3D transistors can't be clocked as high & get very hot.

but on that cooling system i7 2600k can do 5.6-5.7 GHZ :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

but on that cooling system i7 2600k can do 5.6-5.7 GHZ :D

No it can't, Bulldozer & Sandy Bridge almost overclock equally well, the Piledriver AMD chips still overclock slightly better at the very top end.

With Sandy Bridge & Bulldozer you will hit a brick wall at 5.0Ghz & this is on the very good chips, some people will occasionally be able to do better but it's very uncommon.

These better be able to hit 5GHZ @60c load

as the nm gets smaller the max oc will decrease, look at haswell, it gets hotter and it will be the same with amd. Its just science, fuck science.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

as the nm gets smaller the max oc will decrease, look at haswell, it gets hotter and it will be the same with amd. Its just science, fuck science.

it's not because nm are smaller. it's because intel used cheap thermalpaste between die and cooper and in haswell there is VRM integrated into the processor that makes it hotter on higher clocks then 4.6-4.7 ghz. 

those that do backups

it's not because nm are smaller. it's because intel used cheap thermalpaste between die and cooper and in haswell there is VRM integrated into the processor that makes it hotter on higher clocks then 4.6-4.7 ghz. 

riddle me this batman why is ivy hotter then sandy then. Both haswell and ivy are the same process my bad for forgetting that

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

riddle me this batman why is ivy hotter then sandy then. Both haswell and ivy are the same process my bad for forgetting that

and both of them have shitty thermal compound in them. look in the internet when removed IHS and changed thermalpaste difference in temperature are almost 20-30 C that is very big difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4

those that do backups

No it's not because of the cheap TIM, that made things worse but look at Ivy Bridge-E, the chips are sottered on, which is the most effective way of heat-transfer, the max you can barely overclock them to 4.5Ghz, that's significantly worse than sandy-e.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7255/intel-core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-review/6

pretty excited about this even though i dont want an AMD chip and this will be good for the market to push intel 

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

At this rate AMD will be closing in on Intel's 14nm plans, which are facing delays.

Intel still seems to be leading quite a lot though. I mean, with the delay Intel is expecting to release CPUs built with 14nm transistors in Q1 2014, and according to the article in the OP we won't see AMD using 20nm transistor parts until late 2014 or early 2015. So Intel will have been making 14nm parts for almost a year before AMD releases 20nm parts.

It's also worth noting that Nvidia also makes their chips at TSMC, so we can probably both AMD and Nvidia to upgrade to 20nm and 14nm at roughly the same time which will be nice. We will hopefully see a big performance increase when that happens. We haven't really had a big increase since Sandy Bridge on the CPU side, and the 5000 series on the GPU side (or maybe the 7000 series).

No it's not because of the cheap TIM, that made things worse but look at Ivy Bridge-E, the chips are sottered on, which is the most effective way of heat-transfer, the max you can barely overclock them to 4.5Ghz, that's significantly worse than sandy-e.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7255/intel-core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-review/6

That does not show temperatures though. It's already proven that Ivy and the other chips gets really hot because of the really crappy TIM Intel uses. Changing it out to some average thermal paste will give you a ~20 degree decrease in temps. Temps are not the only thing limiting overclocks though.

As you can see in the Anand review (which I assume you didn't actually read, just looked at the graphs) he couldn't get 4.6GHz stable even when he increased the voltage. Might just have been a bit unlucky with the silicon lottery.

By the way, please note how Anand says Ivy Bridge-E should overclock about as well as Sandy Bridge-E (which both uses fluxless solder between the die and the IHS). Did you ever hear anyone say Ivy Bridge overclocks as well as Sandy Bridge (Sandy uses fluxless solder, Ivy uses some crappy TIM)? I certainly didn't. Going from Sandy to Ivy decreased overclocking, but Sandy-E to Ivy-E was the same overclocking.

Probably not going to happen bud, sorry. Am3+ is a dead platform, I think their next flagship CPU will be on FM2 :(

i hope they ditch AM3+ 8 core FX on Fm2+ would be heaps better.

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Intel still seems to be leading quite a lot though. I mean, with the delay Intel is expecting to release CPUs built with 14nm transistors in Q1 2014, and according to the article in the OP we won't see AMD using 20nm transistor parts until late 2014 or early 2015. So Intel will have been making 14nm parts for almost a year before AMD releases 20nm parts.

It's also worth noting that Nvidia also makes their chips at TSMC, so we can probably both AMD and Nvidia to upgrade to 20nm and 14nm at roughly the same time which will be nice. We will hopefully see a big performance increase when that happens. We haven't really had a big increase since Sandy Bridge on the CPU side, and the 5000 series on the GPU side (or maybe the 7000 series).

It's the production that Intel will begin in Q1 2014, the actual release of Broadwell will be in H2 2014, so Q3 the earliest & Q4 is more likely.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2056183/pcs-using-intels-broadwell-processor-expected-in-second-half-of-2014.html

Suppose intels not in any rush to push out the 5770k (assuming this is the broadwell-K mentioned in roadmaps) 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

how Come?

how Come?

This is very likely considering AMD is on a war path for servers too...

Lol, the future is looking bright for them. :P Hopefully no screw ups occur. I'm still saying hold their stock through January. It might have dropped quite a bit at ER, but it will more than likely make it up. Just sell before next ER which should be in January. ER is painful on AMD, as it is for most technology companies. Though it gives it a time to rear back and build up more momentum.

Basically buy at ER and sell before.

Back from the dead....

Suppose intels not in any rush to push out the 5770k (assuming this is the broadwell-K mentioned in roadmaps) 

I think Intel is not is a rush, cuz realistically AMD CPU's aren't putting much of an fight(no more fx8000 vs i7 crap please; I'm talking about gaming which most of the chips are used for) Intel will want to slow down their "innovation" to instead to make a small step at a time so they can make more money with less development

These better be able to hit 5GHZ @60c load

Unlikely. They will run much hotter than that. As the chips get smaller they will run hotter. I'm thinking 70C something at load, maybe even more.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

how Come?

because Fm2+ is a newer platform and is pcie3 ready for when SR Apu's are on it. AM3+ is ancient really needs newer features to make it worthwhile getting

I think Intel is not is a rush, cuz realistically AMD CPU's aren't putting much of an fight(no more fx8000 vs i7 crap please; I'm talking about gaming which most of the chips are used for) Intel will want to slow down their "innovation" to instead to make a small step at a time so they can make more money with less development

its either because the Core Arch is already reached the limits and they are holding back performance because they don't want to cap it out to early. or as you said holding it back so they spend less r&d money on that and more on making it use less power to compete with other markets. only AMD can force their hand earlier than when they want it is SR is indeed 30% faster as AMD claim an 8 core Variant will blow past any 1150 socket CPU specially if they are cheap as when vishera launched ( about $250-290) they will sell so many chips that intel will either drop their prices or release something to re assert dominance

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404574/steamroller if you dont mind reading 110 pages there is some interesting info in there about steamroller and AMD

Honestly all I want from AMD at this point is a FX 8350 equivalent on FM2+.

It's the production that Intel will begin in Q1 2014, the actual release of Broadwell will be in H2 2014, so Q3 the earliest & Q4 is more likely.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2056183/pcs-using-intels-broadwell-processor-expected-in-second-half-of-2014.html

Oh I see. But still, making products based on 20nm when Intel have had products using 14nm (so a whole node after) on the market for half a year... I'd call that being quite far behind. The gap went from very big to just big. Intel has the best manufacturing plants in the world, while AMD has to share with a bunch of other people like Nvidia so it is understandable though. Q4 sounds too long and I am not sure where you got that from. The article you linked says production will start in 1Q and it usually takes 1 or 2 quarters for them to build up a big enough supply to release the product, which means Q2 or Q3 (again, according to your article). So yeah, no idea where you got Q4 from. Even if Intel had to delay it more than half a year, they would still be one whole processing node ahead of AMD.

Hopefully there will be no more delays on either side, but I would not be surprised if TSMC runs into issues similar to Intel's.

Honestly all I want from AMD at this point is a FX 8350 equivalent on FM2+.

Why? I don't really see the point of that since they already have the 8350. You might as well get AM3+, that CPU and then a really low end dedicated GPU if you want something like that.

i think what he meant by equivilent was a 8 Core 4ghz Steamroller CPU on FM2+ which i agree with we know AMD is moving to a single unified socket so Fm2+ might be it OR amd might be holding off till Q3 next year for possible Excavator FX (they knew steamroller was going to be 4 -5 months late so might have stopped dev on FX SR and moved straight to FX EX which was always due out late 2014) and bring out a new unified socket(AM4/FM3/BDM1 Whatever!) with DDR4 etc for which Carizzo and future AMD products are going to be on.

I think we'll stay on AM3+ for a while, the 990FX chipset is still fantastic, you can do CrossfireX/SLI on 16x/16x or 16x/8x/8x that's very good compared to what you can do on LGA 1150's Z87 which is only 8x/8x, PCIE 3.0 has twice the bandwidth of 2.0 so it equals out.
With 990FX you also get 6 6.0GB/S SATA ports, exactly the same on Z87.
Overall they're very equal platforms.

So, there's going to be another AMD GPU in 2013? 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.