DPI and accuracy

Dubesta11

My friends will not stop ranting on about how you should use your mouse on the highest possible DPI. They move their mice less than a cm for 720 degree rotations in games and it feels terribly inaccurate to use, even for basic computer usage. I keep my desktop sensitivity fairly low, which is 1000 DPI, because I have the space for it. 

Now, their claims are that the higher the DPI, the higher the resolution ("Dots per inch"), therefore the greatest accuracy. I am claiming that it is not any more accurate, it just moves your cursor quicker and actually makes it harder to aim. I watch them use the computer and they very often overshoot what they are meaning to click, claiming nothing against that. 

Does playing at a sensitiviy so low that you hardly have control over your mouse justify the claim that it is more accurate and takes more skill to use?

Also, I am a fan of logitech and often claim they make some of the best sensors, where my friends claim any 15 dollar mouse on Amazon is just as good or better?

End of rant.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

5 minutes ago, Dubesta11 said:

Also, I am a fan of logitech and often claim they make some of the best sensors, where my friends claim any 15 dollar mouse on Amazon is just as good or better?

Usually not.

Playing at high DPI is mostly only beneficial by lowering game sensitivity, to provide more control physically rather than digitally..

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, Shiv78 said:

Usually not.

Playing at high DPI is mostly only beneficial by lowering game sensitivity, to provide more control physically rather than digitally..

The full claim is that there is a digital improvement because of a higher DPI.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Considering the fact that pro CS players tend to play at the lowest DPI settings possible, your friends are idiots.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

11 minutes ago, Dubesta11 said:

My friends will not stop ranting on about how you should use your mouse on the highest possible DPI. They move their mice less than a cm for 720 degree rotations in games and it feels terribly inaccurate to use, even for basic computer usage. I keep my desktop sensitivity fairly low, which is 1000 DPI, because I have the space for it. 

Now, their claims are that the higher the DPI, the higher the resolution ("Dots per inch"), therefore the greatest accuracy. I am claiming that it is not any more accurate, it just moves your cursor quicker and actually makes it harder to aim. I watch them use the computer and they very often overshoot what they are meaning to click, claiming nothing against that. 

Does playing at a sensitiviy so low that you hardly have control over your mouse justify the claim that it is more accurate and takes more skill to use?

End of rant.

If I wanted to be pedantic, what's being described here is precision, not accuracy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision#ISO_Definition_.28ISO_5725.29 Since humans suck at being precise at minute distances, having a higher DPI is worse for your accuracy if you're trying to hit smaller targets (this can be anything from moving the mouse to a button to trying to aim at something).

I mean, a lot of high end mice these days offer a "sniper mode" which decreases the DPI. Considering that going into a "sniper mode" implies more accuracy, why would cutting down your precision be better?

EDIT: To put in another way, if you have 12,000 DPI and each dot maps to a pixel, trying to move 200 pixels requires a movement of 0.4mm. Set it down to 1,200 DPI and you have to move 4mm. 4mm is a lot easier for a person to do reliably than 0.4mm

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If I wanted to be pedantic, what's being described here is precision, not accuracy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision#ISO_Definition_.28ISO_5725.29 Since humans suck at being precise at minute distances, having a higher DPI is worse for your accuracy if you're trying to hit smaller targets (this can be anything from moving the mouse to a button to trying to aim at something).

I mean, a lot of high end mice these days offer a "sniper mode" which decreases the DPI. Considering that going into a "sniper mode" implies more accuracy, why would cutting down your precision be better?

Because "You shouldn't have to move your mouse by more than what closely resembles vibration in order to be*precise* " 

The Grey Squirrel

It would be more accurate if you increase your DPI and then lower your sens in game.

But accuracy is not an issue with modern mice with great sensors.

That's why pros and even regular people play at less than 2k DPI and really low in game sensitivity.

What you're supposed to do is find a mouse+game sens combo that allows you to consistently hit your shots.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i am around 1250dpi(not sure anymore because the sofrware for the mouse wont sync and i have no idea if i changed it lol) and i consider THAT high, more DPI does NOT mean better precition and cheaper mice can use acceleration for higher DPI to make it feel like a higher DPI when its infact just mooving more pixels per dot instead. a mouses accuracy depends on the sensor not the DPI max, playing at 12000 DPI is redicules and really stupid because you will never hit anything ever, not even when just using a browser. its crazy stupid.

19 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Considering the fact that pro CS players tend to play at the lowest DPI settings possible, your friends are idiots.

not as low as possible, 600-1000, mice can go lower then that most just dont go bellow 800.

i have my mouse at 1250 dpi or whatever but in CS:GO i have it at 1.0 on the sensetivity and most games i need to turn down the sensitivity to 25 or 30 percent to make it playable at all so i dont just spin 8 gasilion milion degrees and i can actiually play the freaking game xD i think in MC i have it at like 20% sensitivity to make it OK to play lol. 

basically your friends are retarded and have no idea what they are talking about, go lock there mice at 1000 dpi or something and make them play with that and watch them get way better after a few days of playing like a normal person and not an idiot

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I found this: http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-mouse-myths-busted/

“That is the reason why increasing DPI is very dangerous if you don’t understand, in terms of sensor design, what is the basic capability of the sensor. If you just spot for very high number of DPI, and your design thinking is on that only, you will fail. At the end you will have a system that is very poor. It is doing what you call spurious motion, that means you do nothing, you put the mouse on the table, and the cursor is just floating away, it’s picking the noise and creating counts. So this is the problem if you design it wrong. The right approach is to design it right for the low resolution, to make it strong and robust, and then see how much you can cut the slices in, but not to spot first for the high resolution, and then break everything in terms of design.”

Basically there's no real point to having high DPI in mice and gaming mice is basically filled with fluff and numbers. So yah, a $15 Amazon special is probably just as good as a $100 Logitech for all intents and purposes.

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i am around 1250dpi(not sure anymore because the sofrware for the mouse wont sync and i have no idea if i changed it lol) and i consider THAT high, more DPI does NOT mean better precition and cheaper mice can use acceleration for higher DPI to make it feel like a higher DPI when its infact just mooving more pixels per dot instead. a mouses accuracy depends on the sensor not the DPI max, playing at 12000 DPI is redicules and really stupid because you will never hit anything ever, not even when just using a browser. its crazy stupid.

not as low as possible, 600-1000, mice can go lower then that most just dont go bellow 800.

i have my mouse at 1250 dpi or whatever but in CS:GO i have it at 1.0 on the sensetivity and most games i need to turn down the sensitivity to 25 or 30 percent to make it playable at all so i dont just spin 8 gasilion milion degrees and i can actiually play the freaking game xD i think in MC i have it at like 20% sensitivity to make it OK to play lol. 

basically your friends are retarded and have no idea what they are talking about, go lock there mice at 1000 dpi or something and make them play with that and watch them get way better after a few days of playing like a normal person and not an idiot

I didn't literally mean as low as possible, jeez. Scream plays at 400 dpi with 2.0 sens last I knew.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I didn't literally mean as low as possible, jeez. Scream plays at 400 dpi with 2.0 sens last I knew.

yah thats 800DPI ingame, anyway i just thought i should clarify to anyone who didnt understand properly and litteraly thought "slam that shit at 200dpi and i am god at aiming!"

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, woll3 said:

Eh, no, with the most obv. factor being malfunction speed.

As in when the mouse starts showing signs of trouble after use? I've had a few $60+ gaming mice develop double clicks and such within a few years while basic mice are still trucking along.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

As in when the mouse starts showing signs of trouble after use? I've had a few $60+ gaming mice develop double clicks and such within a few years while basic mice are still trucking along.

No, its physical movement speed, not to mention the aforementioned noise, angle error, resolution error and motion latency.

Edit: Also the reason why some office mice last that long is due to higher debounce times which are causes button lag.

4 minutes ago, woll3 said:

No, its physical movement speed, not to mention the aforementioned noise, angle error, resolution error and motion latency.

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say because searching the web for these issues yields almost no relevant results.

4 minutes ago, woll3 said:

Edit: Also the reason why some office mice last that long is due to higher debounce times which are causes button lag.

Debounce doesn't cause button lag unless you're trying to rapidly press the button. Most software responds to a mouse click on the press, not the release. There's probably no hardware debouncing either because that requires extra hardware (and if you're trying to be cheap as possible, that's a no-no). If the debounce timing in the firmware is long, then my $15 mouse I bought for the office seems to be a heckuva deal because I can reliably pass the double click test on the mouse settings at its fastest.

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say because searching the web for these issues yields almost no relevant results.

Well, for beginners:

Debounce doesn't cause button lag unless you're trying to rapidly press the button. Most software responds to a mouse click on the press, not the release. There's probably no hardware debouncing either because that requires extra hardware (and if you're trying to be cheap as possible, that's a no-no). If the debounce timing in the firmware is long, then my $15 mouse I bought for the office seems to be a heckuva deal because I can reliably pass the double click test on the mouse settings at its fastest.

Waiting x amount of time creates lag, there are methods to work around these but they arent commonly used, however a good example would be Logitech, where different times for pressing and releasing are being used, or A4Tech´s IR Switch series, alotough they have a weird bug.

Also i hope that you are aware that the MCU is already debouncing to make sure that nothing unintentional reaches the PC.

logitech_G502_buttonresponse.png