Scientists are looking into 3D Printing real hair

Master Disaster

Beauty giant L'Oréal and French bio printing company Poietis are joining forces to try and 3D print hair follicles that will grow actual hair. 

Hair follicles created by a process similar to 3D printing could one day be used as implants, L'Oreal has said.

The cosmetics firm is partnering with a French bio-printing company called Poietis, which has developed a form of laser printing for cell-based objects.

Hair follicles have not been created this way before and the firms expect it will take at least three years to adapt the process.

However, one hair loss charity said it was too early "to be getting excited".

L'Oreal already uses 3D printed skin in its product research.

They point out that initially they only plan on using the hair for research purposes but that implanting the follicles would be "a holy grail" 

"If we manage to bio-print a hair follicle we will enhance our knowledge of both hair biology and some of the mysteries of hair growth and loss," Jose Cotovio, a director at L'Oreal's Research and Innovation division, told the BBC.

Initially the follicles would be used to test new products, he added.

"Hair loss is very emotional for some people and very distressing - if we succeed in identifying some ingredients that can fight this it will be a huge revolution.

"The next step is, will it be possible to implant? This is the holy grail."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37484835

Holy crap, I find that really fascinating, 3D printing actual human cells. How long until we can print organs? 

Interesting stuff. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Beauty giant L'Oréal and French bio printing company Poietis are joining forces to try and 3D print hair follicles that will grow actual hair. 

They point out that initially they only plan on using the hair for research purposes but that implanting the follicles would be "a holy grail" 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37484835

Holy crap, I find that really fascinating, 3D printing actual human cells. How long until we can print organs? 

Interesting stuff. 

This reminds me of an interview or something of Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek.  When he was asked about Captain Picard, Patrick Stewart, being bald, Gene Roddenberry's response was something along the lines of "No one will care."

I thought there were already experiments being done to print organs.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Hair is overrated, I cut mine so short I look like a Marine even though I'd never serve lol. A close cropped style saves on daily maintenance, less shampoo & water required. I wish these scientists would contact me, I'd gladly sell em mine.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

Just now, Mike Soda said:

Hair is overrated, I cut mine so short I look like a Marine even though I'd never serve lol. A close cropped style saves on daily maintenance, less shampoo & water required. I wish these scientists would contact me, I'd gladly sell em mine.

That is really a subjective thing, coming from a male person who had long hair. I for instance can't stand Marine short. :P 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Idiocracy is becoming a reality. To much focus on hair loss and longevity in the sack. President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camocho lives.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

That is really a subjective thing, coming from a male person who had long hair. I for instance can't stand Marine short. :P 

Yeah I can add to that, my hair used to be longer. Although whenever it would curl behind my ear, OMG that was so aggravating lol. Straightening it probably would've helped & look better but I'm poor people.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

How would you put it in a person? At the very least, it would take a very long time.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Why not 3d print organs? Save lives instead of just making fake women more fake. 

It's not like someone said "should we print a heart or hair? Fuck it, let's go with the hair". 

You have to walk before you run, and the techniques they come up with for printing the hair might also work for other organs in the future. 

13 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

How would you put it in a person? At the very least, it would take a very long time.

duct tape

;)

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

I was thinkinh hot glue

Add some painters tape, then you'll get some color to it.

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Why not 3d print organs? Save lives instead of just making fake women more fake. 

The complexity of organs is still much larger than hair. Don't even think hair has any functional purpose to begin with.

sweet my hair is starting to thin out :(. so i hope this makes it to the market in like the next 10 years.

1 hour ago, dragosudeki said:

The complexity of organs is still much larger than hair. Don't even think hair has any functional purpose to begin with.

It could still lead to something else that might lead the development of 3D printed organs further.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, dragosudeki said:

Hair serves a few purposes.

The most interesting one I have heard of is that men tend to like long haired women because it shows signs of being young and healthy.

If you are unhealthy, then your hair will change. For example the color might become more faint, or it will become thinner, and so on. Since hair grows so slowly, a person with long hair and no sign of being unhealthy will show that they have been healthy for several years, and is therefore suitable to mate with.