My brother says SSDs are a waste of money

My brother just got into college and needs a new laptop. His old one aint gonna cut it.

So he was looking for new ones, found this one which I kinda like: Asus GL552VX-DM272T

It costs 800€ at minimum and here are the specs for this specific model:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ

GPU: GTX 950M

RAM: 8GB

Screen: 15,6" 1920x1080

And HDD: 1TB 5400RPM

The HDD is a problem and I said that to him. There are models with an SSD, but they are a bit more expensive and he says that he doesnt care and that it is a waste of money for him.

He likes gaming, tinkering around with software, Linux and other stuff so I cant stress enough to tell him that for those applications SSD is a MUST.

Since I use an SSD on my desktop, I know the difference. I just had a HDD and waited 1 year until they got cheaper. Then bought one. Loading times got cut by more than 10 times, the same goes for boot times. (for those who dont know, it isnt just the maximum write and read speed of the SSD/HDD that defines its actual speed)

He constantly is saying that he doesnt need SSDs, that they are a waste of his money and I ran out of arguments to convince him.

So please anyone who can help me convince him, because he is my older brother, who needs a new laptop (which doesnt have an SSD BTW and loading is slow AF) and I want him to know what he is gaining with and SSD, because no professor/friend/anyone wants to see him looking at the screen for 10 minutes just to get everything set for a friggin PRESENTATION.

Tell me all the benefits of an SSD you can think of. ANYTHING!

Thank you to everyone who actually read this long post before posting anything and also to those who didnt anyways.

Nah, just let him buy the one with the HDD and it will teach him a valuable life lesson.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They only make a difference loading a large program, like a large game or the OS of course. The only thing you can do is figure out what his current laptop HDD speed is. and unless that one is faster than this laptop's (I highly doubt it will be), if he's happy with the load speeds he currently gets then that's okay. Linux boots fast on HDDs. There's not a reason for him to get an SSD unless he's going to appreciate the speed.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Less likely to break when dropped.

No chance of mechanical failure.

Longer battery life, lower power consumption

Quieter.

Cooler.

Faster updates and installs of Distros.

Multiple concurent tasks do not really affect performance.

ETC.

The only advantage HDDs have is price. Mabye get him a SSHD so he doesn't know.

Mabye the laptop has a m.2 slot and you could get him a small drive for booting.

7 minutes ago, Nexro said:

If he wants to be stubborn. Leave him be and let him experience the downfalls of using a HDD.

Yeah, but he is doing that for about 5 years and doesnt care.

9 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Then u need one of these..
How-To-Start-a-Gas-Chainsaw.jpg

WOAH slow down there a bit with that thing, we invested a lot in him lets not make it worthless.

8 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Less likely to break when dropped.

No chance of mechanical failure.

Longer battery life, lower power consumption

Quieter.

Cooler.

Faster updates and installs of Distros.

Multiple concurent tasks do not really affect performance.

ETC.

The only advantage HDDs have is price. Mabye get him a SSHD so he doesn't know.

Mabye the laptop has a m.2 slot and you could get him a small drive for booting.

Yes I showed him my boot times, for some goddamn reason he finds 1 minute slower than his 5 minutes... (iGot a lot of junk at startup gotta clean that sometime)

Also that is a good point, if it has a slot for an SSD we can just put one in. Researching incoming!

3 minutes ago, Nexro said:

If he wants to be stubborn. Leave him be and let him experience the downfalls of using a HDD.

If he doesn't know/understand how much better an ssd is then he won't know that he's experiencing the downfalls. Lol it's like an old grandparent of yours being used to this one thing so long they refuse to upgrade to something better because they don't know/understand what they're missing out on.

Wow that was quick, a 5 second google showed me that it is indeed possible.

Google.com FTW!

Just now, Joelbanks5 said:

If he doesn't know/understand how much better an ssd is then he won't know that he's experiencing the downfalls. Lol it's like an old grandparent of yours being used to this one thing so long they refuse to upgrade to something better because they don't know/understand what they're missing out on.

This

1 minute ago, Laggger164 said:

Yeah, but he is doing that for about 5 years and doesnt care.

Get him used to your laptop's boot times and all and when he gets his laptop he will be irritated af and return it and buy the one with the ssd.

1 minute ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Get him used to your laptop's boot times and all and when he gets his laptop he will be irritated af and return it and buy the one with the ssd.

I dont have a laptop, its a desktop.

Just now, Thread212 said:

longer battery life? what kind of SSD u are using?

Firstly they have no spinning parts which require power. Secondly Windows knows how to turn them off as with HDDs the default windows driver doesn't stop HDDs spinning (Windows 7 confirmed). Thirdly when I installed an SSD into my system the idle uncore power useage went from 0.5w to 0.1w (I know it is minor).

Perhaps he values the 1TB of storage over a similar laptop with a 256 GB SSD.  I know it was a struggle for me for a while to get into an SSD for this very reason.  In a laptop where you are typically limited to one drive, this could be an issue.

2 minutes ago, Nexro said:

This

He doesn't care because he doesn't understand or know real well what he's missing out on.

2 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

I dont have a laptop, its a desktop.

Get him used to that then. When he gets his laptop he will be irritated af on boot times and all.

1 minute ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

Perhaps he values the 1TB of storage over a similar laptop with a 256 GB SSD.  I know it was a struggle for me for a while to get into an SSD for this very reason.  In a laptop where you are typically limited to one drive, this could be an issue.

Yes thats exactly what he is telling me, but I dont want him to get a 256 GB SSD, just a 128 one for the OS. Like I have.

1 minute ago, Laggger164 said:

Yes thats exactly what he is telling me, but I dont want him to get a 256 GB SSD, just a 128 one for the OS. Like I have.

There's external storage to solve the problem of most laptops only having room for one storage device.

yes, SSDs are a waste of money - the price / GB is incredibly bad compared to a HDD; and if space is an issue .. no contest

load times - yes, a SSD will generally load shit faster, but it's not always the case; you don't reboot your PC every minute, you boot it once and do your work

SSDs don't influence game performance; in some cases it helps with load times, but that's about it

in a laptop, it will help with battery life .. slightly 

The HDD is a problem and I said that to him.

how is a HDD a problem?

He likes gaming, tinkering around with software, Linux and other stuff so I cant stress enough to tell him that for those applications SSD is a MUST

no it is not, otherwise he wouldn't've done those things from a HDD

Quite possible he doesn't want a smaller sized SSD for his application needs, I'm using a 2TB Spinpoint M9T in my MacBook Pro as I deal with bloated software such as Logic X, Mainstage 3, Ableton, Amplitube, Looper, etc... I'd need at least a 1TB SSD for OS+apps and yank the optical drive out for a HDD--the Spinpoint's double the cache allows WD Scorpio 750GB style performance without the power drain :o

Jeez. This is why we don't talk to non-PCMR.

My System: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9VrDZ8

- - - - -

What else do you need to know? :P

Congratulations! You just wasted 5 seconds of your life reading the last 73 characters!

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, SSDs are a waste of money - the price / GB is incredibly bad compared to a HDD; and if space is an issue .. no contest

load times - yes, a SSD will generally load shit faster, but it's not always the case; you don't reboot your PC every minute, you boot it once and do your work

SSDs don't influence game performance; in some cases it helps with load times, but that's about it

in a laptop, it will help with battery life

how is a HDD a problem?

no it is not, otherwise he wouldn't've done those things from a HDD

Again I want him to get a 128 GB SSD for the OS and the 1TB HDD for everything else. That speeded up everything on my PC more than 10 times.

You could do those things even from a toaster, it would just take time... a LOT of time. Which it did... It will slow down him and his studying and projects.

Edited by Laggger164

- Faster

- Smaller

- Lower power consumption

- Lower heat output

- Less prone to ESD

- More durable against heat

- More durable against cold

- More resistant to dust

- More resistant to shock (drops, bumps, etc.)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, SCAMAZING said:

Jeez. This is why we don't talk to non-PCMR.

Well he is using a PC...