DJI Mavic released (gopro drone competitor)

pagani123

The new DJI Mavic is a small powerful drone. It is half the size and weight of the phantom and the whole profile is small enough to fit into a small backpack or even a purse.

specs

uses same camera sensor as the phantom 4

it can stream live video for up to 4.3 miles away (phantom can only reach 3.1)

it can also directly live stream to YouTube periscope and facebook in 1080p 

It is aimed squarely at gopros drone.

starts at 749 (compared to the karma which starts at 799)

dji-mavic-pro-drone-2445.0.jpg

mavic drone remote

Mavic_Pro_2.0.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13058722/dji-mavic-pro-drone-foldable-4k-gesture-control

I think this will really bring out some good competition for the "lower end" drone market. It also seems to be superior to the karma in almost every way.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Hm, I thought I heard from  DigitalRev that it used a slightly smaller sensor. Either way I am amazed how quickly DJI responded to GoPro's Karma, it was literally days. Either they were coincidentally working and developing a folding, smaller drone at a very similar time, or they had this waiting in their pocket for a competitor. 

37 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Can you use metric system next time? Most of the world doesn't use that shit called imperial.

Use Google. It's not a rule of this forum to use the metric system. 

51 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Can you use metric system next time? Most of the world doesn't use that shit called imperial.

The thing is that most of the forum is from North America, so it suits the majority.

And he used a single imperial unit. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

20 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

starts at 749 (compared to the karma which starts at 799)

That must be a mistake by The Verge. 

I'm only seeing $999 option with remote, even on DJI official site. 

Not the $749 option without remote. 

5 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

That must be a mistake by The Verge. 

I'm only seeing $999 option with remote, even on DJI official site. 

It's 750 without the remote. You can control it with your phone. But I would always recommend a dedicated remote 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

7.2km usually I use the metric system I was just in a hurry when I wrote it. 

11 hours ago, corsairian said:

Use Google. It's not a rule of this forum to use the metric system. 

It's not a rule to let women through the door either, people just do it. It's common sense.

Bottom line:
1. Karma is larger

2. Karma carries better camera

3. Karma seems to be more durable

4. Karma comes with a hand held stabilizer. 

5. Mavic has better firmware (now).

6. Mavic has obstruction sensors

7. Mavic has follow functions

Add more stuff if I'm missing something. 

Just now, RexinOridle said:

Bottom line:
1. Karma is larger

2. Karma carries better camera

3. Karma seems to be more durable

4. Karma comes with a hand held stabilizer. 

5. Mavic has better firmware (now).

6. Mavic has obstruction sensors

7. Mavic has follow functions

Add more stuff if I'm missing something. 

why is larger a pro? for applications like this i would think smaller would be a pro

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

why is larger a pro? for applications like this i would think smaller would be a pro

Larger generally means more stable in the air (Fluid dynamics point of view). Also has the potential to carry more stuff and longer battery life. But it's still very portable.

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I realize that larger is better in custom built quadcopters but this is using dji stability control and speaking from experience it is incredibly good at keeping a drone stable. I have flown my phantom in 30mph to 40mph winds and that thing is rock solid. I am also not sure what you mean by carry more stuff. What does the drone need to carry besides the camera and battery. I cant say for sure which is better yet. But my money is on dji as they have been doing this for a decade.

DJI has way more experience from firmware and software point of drones. GoPro is way better when comes to durability. But firmware can be upgraded as time goes on. Honestly, Mavic feels like cheaply made compared to Karma. But again, Mavic is super portable.

21 hours ago, RexinOridle said:

DJI has way more experience from firmware and software point of drones. GoPro is way better when comes to durability. But firmware can be upgraded as time goes on. Honestly, Mavic feels like cheaply made compared to Karma. But again, Mavic is super portable.

Were you able to go to the press releases for both? From what I understand, nobody has a Karma right now and theres only like 10 Mavic's in the wild.

On 28/9/2016 at 6:05 PM, Matu20 said:

Whatever do you mean?

imperial_vs__metric_by_nekit1234007-d5p0

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

13 hours ago, Kimmers said:

Were you able to go to the press releases for both? From what I understand, nobody has a Karma right now and theres only like 10 Mavic's in the wild.

No, wasn't able to. Didn't fly either one of them. But touched both of them (prototype). Karma feels like better built. The rest is up to their experience in their different line of work.

After seeing Casey Neistat's comparison with Phantom 4 I can say that Mavic had shitty lenses and probably image processing because its blury as fack ! 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

personally i have more trust in dji as they have been doing this for a decade. but until i see them both I really wont know.