Skyrim Remastered Optimization Concerns and Discussion

So here's what I take of it.  This is as the average consumer with a general knowledge of most things pc related. I also have trouble wording things as english is not my first language so please bare with me thanks a bunch! xD

Bethesda's 2011 release of Skyrim had it's issue's especially on the PC side of things apparently. The modding community known as http://www.nexusmods.com/ came to save the day with a plethora of mods, fixes, texture remaps, meshes and everything of that sort. This in terms would improve the game quality and add things Bethesda should have added to the game. With that in mind I wanted to bring up the topic of hardware compatibility and performance standards and some of my concerns and questions with the new release of Skyrim Remastered. I've been modding 2011 skyrim for a short period of time but have gone through the ropes of adding anything I could find on the Nexus from textures, meshes, models, lights, animations to even diving through the .ini files to fix issues within the game.

I did some research and noticed there is a maximum amount of memory that can be used up to mod the game. The limit is 3.1GB of RAM http://bit.ly/2dnO8DO . With that being said I noticed that that skyrim was designed based around the creation engine. One of my questions would be what exactly is limiting the performance of the game that gives it a limit and such. Obviously it's an older game with an older engine and newer tech would over-perform but there's still so many issues especially when the game is modded. I have been told the game had been "dumbed down" for the consoles to be able to play the game at steady 30fps and the game wasn't designed to go above that without there being issues with the game. That could be wrong but that's what I've been told.  I'm not entirely sure how the creation engine stacks up today or how the game itself would run on newer hardware (specifically my new specs - I7 4770@ 3.4 Ghz, 32gb ddr3 1600mhz, Rx 480 8gb xfx black edition). I get massive performance drops from time to time with only about 30 mods installed which doesn't pertain to much other than a few light mods and 2k/4k textures. I also decided to try a higher spec card with the same mod load (gtx 980ti 6gb msi variant) I would still have occasional stutters quite often with sharp turns in game and such even when the fps counter still says 60. I'm thinking it's the age of the game and when it was made that is the limiting factor and there's only so much modders can do to the game. 

I've been babbling a lot so I'll get straight to the point. Do you guys think the new skyrim will be better optimized (on a newer engine) and will be able to run better with mods and without all the frame issue the game is plagued with.This could be an isolated incident but I've had others with much higher specs report the same thing. I tried to do some research and mean no harm I'm just trying to wrap my head around what Bethesda might do with the new remastered and if there is any point of getting it? Other than the fact that consoles obviously need it. Thanks for reading and let me know if there is something I need to know I love to learn! :P

Well if its a new engine it better be more optimized :)

And you do only have a RX480, I can bring my 390X to its knees with only 2-3 intense graphical mods. You said yourself, 2K and 4K textures, thats no easy task to run especially on an old engine.

Just a friendly tip, break up your post more, its just one massive paragraph of text, which is not fun to read.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

And you do only have a RX480, I can bring my 390X to its knees with only 2-3 intense graphical mods. You said yourself, 2K and 4K textures, thats no easy task to run especially on an old engine.

Just a friendly tip, break up your post more, its just one massive paragraph of text, which is not fun to read.

It runs fine with my mod load that does include two 4k mods (Armour)  and the 2k texture mods. I'll screenshot my mod load and show everyone what it looks like. I don't have anything that kills the card.

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I also tested my friends gtx 980ti and had the same issues. I can't really stand running below 50fps so that's one of the reasons I made this post. 

7 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

"GTX 970 is the perfect 1080p GPU" my ass. With no grass mods, EFX and Realvision ENB I struggle to keep a steady 60fps in Skyrim when outdoors. BTW, I literally can't run Skyrim without ENB as I get frequent CTD and saves that won't load without it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm 99% sure for the most part it's just implementing the updates and improvements that they added to Fallout 4, along with some Skyrim specific upgrades to textures and lighting.  It's still essentially the same engine underneath that they've been using since Morrowind although updated several times.  A lot of the limitations the standard game are down to the engine and it only being a 32bit game (iirc that's part of the 3.1GB problem), whether it now being 64bit actually fixes any of that remains to be seen.  I haven't played Fallout 4 so I don't know if they fixed it there.  At best it'll probably perform about the same as a modded FO4.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

3 minutes ago, TW1ST3R said:

I'm 99% sure for the most part it's just implementing the updates and improvements that they added to Fallout 4, along with some Skyrim specific upgrades to textures and lighting.  It's still essentially the same engine underneath that they've been using since Morrowind although updated several times.  A lot of the limitations the standard game are down to the engine and it only being a 32bit game (iirc that's part of the 3.1GB problem), whether it now being 64bit actually fixes any of that remains to be seen.  I haven't played Fallout 4 so I don't know if they fixed it there.  At best it'll probably perform about the same as a modded FO4.

Then I guess there's no hope xc. maybe I need to get a better single gpu config to make it stop with the issues. I'm probably going to get another rx480 in the future and run them in crossfire. 

Just now, TW1ST3R said:

8GB of RAM. I had to increase the pagefile size to 2GB minimum (spread across 2x SSD and 2x HDD) to prevent the 'out of memory' error with Skyrim and FO4.

PMSL

Skyrim could only use 3 or so GB of RAM because Bethesda gave it a 32-bit exe, and 32-bit applications are limited to 4 GB of RAM. Skyrim Remastered will have a 64-bit exe, which means it won't have that same RAM limitation (64-bit applications can make use of up to 16 Exabytes of RAM, which will handle quite a few mods).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I feel it will eun like shit, just like fallout 4 does.
Shadows will have to be on low along with shadow distance.
God ray will have to be on low.
This is my guess anyway.
I seriously hope I'm wrong though as I never really got to get stuck in to skyrim like I wanted to, because it ran like shit.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

41 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

I feel it will eun like shit, just like fallout 4 does.
Shadows will have to be on low along with shadow distance.
God ray will have to be on low.
This is my guess anyway.
I seriously hope I'm wrong though as I never really got to get stuck in to skyrim like I wanted to, because it ran like shit.

Lets hope that they at least fix the low LOD that is typical of Skyrim.

PMSL

It'll probably just be more heavier to run with less impressive mod support or maybe none. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

"GTX 970 is the perfect 1080p GPU" my ass. With no grass mods, EFX and Realvision ENB I struggle to keep a steady 60fps in Skyrim when outdoors. BTW, I literally can't run Skyrim without ENB as I get frequent CTD and saves that won't load without it.

I mean run star citizen at 1080p max graphics with a 970? How do you expect a card to run every game at 1080p perfectly even with graphical mods over several years after its release? Graphical fidelity of games gets higher and higher, your GPU stays the same. What other outcome were you expecting?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

I mean run star citizen at 1080p max graphics with a 970? How do you expect a card to run every game at 1080p perfectly even with graphical mods over several years after its release? Graphical fidelity of games gets higher and higher, your GPU stays the same. What other outcome were you expecting?

I was expecting my GTX 970 to handle Skyrim as well as a GTX 760 with the same mods.

PMSL

This is my GTX 1080.

Even then i still drop below 60FPS and i am not using extreme mods, though i have a lot and an ENB.

Pentium IV @ 4.4ghz , 8GB DDR2, R9 380 4GB, 2560x1440p monitor.

2 minutes ago, CAPCOM UK said:

This is my GTX 1080.

Even then i still drop below 60FPS and i am not using extreme mods, though i have a lot and an ENB.

I have to figure out how to use quicksync to record. Because your recording of Skyrim is shitloads smoother than when I'm actually playing it (it looks quite similar too in regards to the overall graphics).

PMSL

1 minute ago, CAPCOM UK said:

This is my GTX 1080.

hopefully remastered helps with performance because its 64 bit and more recent. I'll probably get a another rx 480 in a few months.

4 minutes ago, spiralfuzion said:

hopefully remastered helps with performance because its 64 bit and more recent. I'll probably get a another rx 480 in a few months.

I think anything post Kepler is having issues with Skyrim at the moment.

PMSL