iOS 10 Pokemon on the lockscreen?

My girlfriend updated her iPhone 5s to iOS 10 last weekend. Afterwards she noticed that she sometimes sees a small pokemon/pokeball icon in the bottom left corner of the lockscreen.  If she clicks on this, it seems to let her shortcut to the Pokémon Go app.  She has also seen this with Chrome, and as I am writing this with Facebook.  It does not seem to be consistent with the most recently used app, currently open app, or anything like that.  This bothered me as I wanted to know why (Android user, myself) this was showing up the way it was.  I looked it up on the Google and I found one forum post somewhere where a user claimed it was location based.  Their lockscreen gets the Pokémon Go shortcut whenever they go to a park, but otherwise seems random.  It was the only person who I have seen have any explanation at all.  Maybe this is something very common in iOS and we only recently noticed it.  I myself don't use iOS and haven't since the second gen iPod Touch was released. (I tried to get a screenshot but at the time I got to this part in the post, the shortcut wasn't there...)

If anyone has any idea what this is or how it works, I would appreciate it.  Is bothering me!

never heard of this, but TBH i could see that popping up when you are close to a pokestop/gym maybe thats why?

Future Upgrades

VVVVVVVVVVVVV

1: SSD

2: Freesync monitor

3: AIO cooler 

4: New HDD

5: RAM upgrade, i want 16gb of black ram

order 1-5 is what I want the most,

color is of importance (most to least) 

Just now, FireFlame9222 said:

never heard of this, but TBH i could see that popping up when you are close to a pokestop/gym maybe thats why?

We thought that too, but it doesn't seem to be that consistent.  At the moment of this comment it was facebook even though that wasn't what was used last on the phone.

This is a feature introduced with iOS 9 called "Proactive" It remembers when, where, and how often you use a certain app/apps.

Say for a week I open FaceBook every morning at 7AM in my home. After a few days my lock screen will have a small FaceBook icon in the bottom left on my iPhone lockscreen at around 7AM.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, VincibleAndy said:

We thought that too, but it doesn't seem to be that consistent.  At the moment of this comment it was facebook even though that wasn't what was used last on the phone.

wait so the shortcut will open chrome and facebook as well as pokemon go? or am i reading this wrong?

Future Upgrades

VVVVVVVVVVVVV

1: SSD

2: Freesync monitor

3: AIO cooler 

4: New HDD

5: RAM upgrade, i want 16gb of black ram

order 1-5 is what I want the most,

color is of importance (most to least) 

1 minute ago, VincibleAndy said:

It's a suggested apps feature based on your location so it like a quick launch, if you find it in the way you can disable that feature.

https://techcrunch.com/2014/06/03/apple-delivers-location-based-app-suggestions-on-your-lock-screen-in-ios-8/

35 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's a suggested apps feature based on your location so it like a quick launch, if you find it in the way you can disable that feature.

https://techcrunch.com/2014/06/03/apple-delivers-location-based-app-suggestions-on-your-lock-screen-in-ios-8/

36 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is a feature introduced with iOS 9 called "Proactive" It remembers when, where, and how often you use a certain app/apps.

Say for a week I open FaceBook every morning at 7AM in my home. After a few days my lock screen will have a small FaceBook icon in the bottom left on my iPhone lockscreen at around 7AM.  

These were both very helpful, although the feature doesn't seem to be that fine tuned to how she uses the phone.  We are looking to turn this feature off but where the setting was in iOS 8 and 9 is no longer in iOS 10... Some looking around and searching online and in the settings has lead no where.

Again, if anyone knows where this setting is, that would rock!

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, FireFlame9222 said:

wait so the shortcut will open chrome and facebook as well as pokemon go? or am i reading this wrong?

You are reading this wrong. The shortcut changes to a mini version of the icon of the corresponding app.

4 minutes ago, VincibleAndy said:

These were both very helpful, although the feature doesn't seem to be that fine tuned to how she uses the phone.  We are looking to turn this feature off but where the setting was in iOS 8 and 9 is no longer in iOS 10... Some looking around and searching online and in the settings has lead no where.

Again, if anyone knows where this setting is, that would rock!

Thanks!

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Location based suggestions? Popular Near Me? 

Otherwise I wouldn't know where to disable it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)