Ideas on how to extend USB 50m+ on a budget

So recently, I started a stream project for my local church and while my Logitech C920 does a grainy decent job at 60-70 meters about 2m off the ground. While this has satisfied me and the pastor for the passed few weeks it is by no means the best. Long story short, I am on a very tight budget (C920 being the expensive purchase QQ) I am exploring options the get the cam mounted on the ceiling about midway through our sanctuary which is about 40m from our sound booth. I have checked on usb 2-3.0 active extensions and they can be a bit pricey per meter (3.0 running about $100USD per 15m on Amazon) and everything I've read about PoE extensions but they don't seem to carry the data very well for the distance.

Any tips or advice would be gladly appreciated, or you could tell me to shut up and it won't work either way :) whatever works. Seriously, any help at all. 

Case:NZXT Phantom 240 CPU: AMD Fx-8320 Overclocked to 4.0 Mobo: ASRock 970 Performance (Weak link) GPU: 1x Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB RAM: 24GB Of Misc. GPU: Raidmax Hybrid 2 630W HDD: 1x ScanDisk 128GB SSD Boot Drive, 1x Seagate 1TB Storage Drive OS: Windows 10 Upgrade (Not my favorite but we will all have to upgrade sooner or later.)

14 minutes ago, Junorock said:

So recently, I started a stream project for my local church and while my Logitech C920 does a grainy decent job at 60-70 meters about 2m off the ground. While this has satisfied me and the pastor for the passed few weeks it is by no means the best. Long story short, I am on a very tight budget (C920 being the expensive purchase QQ) I am exploring options the get the cam mounted on the ceiling about midway through our sanctuary which is about 40m from our sound booth. I have checked on usb 2-3.0 active extensions and they can be a bit pricey per meter (3.0 running about $100USD per 15m on Amazon) and everything I've read about PoE extensions but they don't seem to carry the data very well for the distance.

Any tips or advice would be gladly appreciated, or you could tell me to shut up and it won't work either way :) whatever works. Seriously, any help at all. 

if you are willing to ghetto something just solder wires together

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 hour ago, Junorock said:

Just noticed you said meters not feet. Your best bet would be using Ethernet. Essentially, you can buy a USB to Ethernet adapter and the device over that. Keep in mind, this will not power the device. You would need a powered hub at the other end.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-100m-CAT5-Single-Extender/dp/B00FB59F14

keep in mind- you may be forced go to buy a higher end model then the one I recommended. Some of the models that go for like 200-300 usd will support higher bandwidth, and a webcam consumes a lot of bandwidth. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

@bgibbz Thats pretty much what I figured I would have to do in the long run. I was just seeing if maybe anyone else had tried anything like this and had a solution that wasn't so fickle...

Case:NZXT Phantom 240 CPU: AMD Fx-8320 Overclocked to 4.0 Mobo: ASRock 970 Performance (Weak link) GPU: 1x Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB RAM: 24GB Of Misc. GPU: Raidmax Hybrid 2 630W HDD: 1x ScanDisk 128GB SSD Boot Drive, 1x Seagate 1TB Storage Drive OS: Windows 10 Upgrade (Not my favorite but we will all have to upgrade sooner or later.)

11 minutes ago, Junorock said:

@bgibbz Thats pretty much what I figured I would have to do in the long run. I was just seeing if maybe anyone else had tried anything like this and had a solution that wasn't so fickle...

How exactly are you streaming this? A potentially better option would be to buy a very cheap PC (used, small form factor) and hide it by the cam. You can then control this PC using a remote desktop app like teamviewer and use this PC to stream. 

I'm recording as our church is in the sticks, streaming was the general idea when we started. I set my laptop up in the sound booth at the rear end of our sanctuary with my Cam sitting on the ledge just over head on a 6" tripod. Like I said, It makes do for the audience that we currently have and without going to studio level equipment, which isn't practical or cost efficient for our attendance as we are a small church,  it is our current solution. Through the beauty that is OBS Studio I managed to crop down to just our Pastor and the area he walks in with minimal view of the crowd but would still like to get my rig higher and in less view. My pastor has also expressed wanting multiple angles which is what im trying to work out now. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it and not sacrifice my bandwidth from Cam to Computer.

Raspberry pi? Connect it to the camera and stream from there? A Pi zero should suffice.

Not sure on software to connect it all together but I'm sure others will be able to help out on that score.

USB over ethernet is probably your best option. It's fairly cost effective too. At my church I run an HDMI over ethernet and it works great! Perfect for a ministry budget.

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor