Should I start building custom builds for Money

♠FlamieMeister♠

people will be dicks and complain, i though of doing it but there is no way in hell i would seeing as i hate dealing with idiots saying there PC broke down when they cant flip the PSU switch or that it was broken only to find they havent plugged in the video cable.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Anyone who can't build their own PC will require some sort of support. Let's be honest, building a PC is just like a child's puzzle; not exactly hard, is it?

So if they can't do that...

a) why do they want a custom PC?

b) will they be able to service it themselves at all?

c) how often will you be bothered about it?

19 hours ago, mckrackin5324 said:

That is so rarely true.

Maybe I misunderstand...what do you mean?

Most of the time it's the opposite. Better parts are easier to work with.

I do agree with you on percentage based billing though. To a degree. 

computer mods take a long time, but if you don'T have experience with modding and don'T have anything to show off, why would I choose you to make  mine ?

compared to an experienced builder/modder like @Snef

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

On 9/21/2016 at 11:35 AM, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

I would like to start building custom builds for people in my area. Theres a demand for it, so yeah. These are the rules for my business I've set up so far:

-If you break it, I can't fix it

-If its a hardware problem or its clearly not man made problem, I can help

-I charge a 50 dollar fee for building it alongside your payments for a computer

Now I know people are gonna ask why the hell don't they build it themselves? Because its America, and people are LAZY!

Say you build a PC $700 dollars of parts 50 of labor Thats less then 8% profit GROSS not Net  

you will have Time wise delivering of the product / meeting up picking out parts &  building it 

any tools or small stuff like screws zip ties a desk ect you might need to do this on will go against this 8% gross profit which is nothing after you calculate the hours and stuff you bought for this small profit

and that;s not calculating the risk that they will do the best to put you on the hook for a broken part Or if you scratch or damage a case or break a component yourself and the manuf wont take it back. but hey they bought a new case not a slightly used one  Things happen and with such little profit you wont be able to afford a single mistake if you get unlucky 

I Would have them Pick the specs of what they want

and then you should shop around every item get the best deal and mark it up 20%ish they probably wont find the best deals when choosing specs ect and you give them a total Price including built  dont break it out   type up a letterhead/quote and put what services and parts with a grand total on it 

Question, How old are you?

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

What you may want to do, is replace the thumbscrews used for opening the case with regular screws, and putting a tamper prevention sticker on the screw like all the GPUs have on one of the screws.

And state that you will not be responsible for any issues that occur if the sticker has been broken.

Keep in mind that building PCs is cheap / $0 cost in most peoples minds (the Build to Use mindset).

So ... you actually probably want to structure the business around charging higher prices for higher (bling, quality, timeliness, support, etc) outcomes.

Although you might start on the cheap and easy side, you should always to planning to move up the market if you actually want to make real money over time.