Time to upgrade the i5-6600K Help!

Hey All,

Some time ago I posted about my build.  When I started playing in 3440x1440 I noticed that my FPS was just not cutting it. I discovered my CPU utilization was hitting 100% causing FPS hit and stuttering.

So started playing with the CPU Over Clocking settings and now I have my i5-6600K at 4.3 Ghz, yet I still see my CPU is bottle necking and impacting game performance.

Now I need your help! I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to an i7-6700K 4.0Ghz or go with one of the new Intel Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz  CPU that is out?  I know, I'd also have to switch out the Motherboard as well if I did change from the Skylake CPU.  But I am open to ideas of getting the best but not going crazy with the money.  

Current Build:

Monitor: ASUS ROG PG348 (34" Ultra Wide Screen) G-SYNC

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: Intel i5-6600K
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 Mhz (XMP Quad Channel)
GPU: GeForce GTX1080 Founders Edition (just upgraded)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 80+Gold
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB

So my plan is to get the nerve up to do a custom liquid cooling solution but it seems a lot more work than it is worth. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Shep

the i7 6700k is one of the best cpus for gaming. the new 6 core processors like the 6800k are mostly for server and rendering work. It wouldn't be the most bang for your buck cpu

Broadwell-E is extreme overkill for a gaming rig, and the cost of a more expensive CPU and a brand new (and very expensive) motherboard wouldn't be nearly worth the meager performance gain you'd get from a 6800K. If you want a new CPU, the 6700K makes the most sense from where you are.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just upgrade to an i7-6700K. You will realize an immediate speed improvement and hyperthreading should help in newer titles.

But before investing in a new cpu, have you gone over your system to insure that it is running titles optimally?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

18 hours ago, brob said:

Just upgrade to an i7-6700K. You will realize an immediate speed improvement and hyperthreading should help in newer titles.

But before investing in a new cpu, have you gone over your system to insure that it is running titles optimally?

I was using Raptr and just switched using NVidia GeForce Experience and will see if there's any improvement.

In addition, I've been playing with Over Clocking the CPU and currently stable at 4.45 Mhz, also upped the Memory to 2667 14-16-16-34 1.35V. 

14 minutes ago, DJ Shepherd said:

I was using Raptr and just switched using NVidia GeForce Experience and will see if there's any improvement.

In addition, I've been playing with Over Clocking the CPU and currently stable at 4.45 Mhz, also upped the Memory to 2667 14-16-16-34 1.35V. 

You may want to check live anti-virus/anti-malware settings to see if they might be interfering. Check anything else that might be running while gaming as well.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Hello everyone!

I wanted to update you all. Purchased and upgraded to the i7-6700K and immediately noticed a huge performance difference. I can put everything on Ultra on my games and it's all silky smooth.  Playing at 3440x1440 it truly a reality.  

Also, I used Thermaltake TG-7 Thermal Grease (diamond power) as it was all I could find and not entirely sure if that had an impact on the performance but just wanted to mention it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help! You guys rock!  

Shep