Will using a UPS help me save money in the long run?

IAEInferno

So I was planning on buying a UPS as well for my planned #betterRED build this coming 2017, and the ups that I am currently looking at on newegg right now says it reduces energy consumption up to 75%, does that mean that for example my pc, monitor, speaker and router would use a maximum total of 600W then does that mean that I get to save 450W worth of energy consumption and electricity bills?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

No, sorry, that's not how physics work.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No, it doesn't work that way. The UPS is not generating energy from nothing. It's just more efficient.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No. 600w is 600w. They don't go anywhere. Link to ups maybe. Unless you are talking about 

ups_shield_og_square.png

Explain how physics work.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, sorry, that's not how physics work.

Just now, IAEInferno said:

That was a question not an answer.

Or... if you got a really big one and then charged it up when electricity is cheaper and from solar panels and stuff. Like the tesla powerwall.

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Or... if you got a really big one and then charged it up when electricity is cheaper and from solar panels and stuff. Like the tesla powerwall.

You are trying too hard...

1 minute ago, IAEInferno said:

That's just marketing since those units have a master plug option that cuts power to all other outlets when the master (system) turns off so it doesn't leave other peripherals on or have them draw idle power. 

5 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Explain how physics work.

E=mc^2

4 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Compared to models without GrenPower.

This is 75% of what it would otherwise be drawing from the wall.

It is just an increase in efficiency, not a reduction of the power of the components you plug into it.

If your PC is using 600W the UPS is drawing more than that from the wall due to inefficiency.

The higher the efficiency, the closer it will get to 600W, but it will always be more.

Since this is a PFC unit it has over 90% efficiency, which is more than some other UPSes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Hulkbert said:

Okay thanks, the physics explanation sucked although the UPS one is fine.

Just now, ModerateSkill said:

http://eu.cyberpowersystems.com/greenpower/bypass_circuit.html

^It's saying it can save up to 75% compared to other UPSs. Using a UPS will increase your overall energy use and therefore bills compared to just running the computer from the wall.

Oh... so I would be using more power if I use a UPS and it will just increase electricity bills...

2 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

What UPS would be efficient for this pc build plus monitor,speakers and router? http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6cwMVY

Something like this would give you more than enough including peripherals and such:

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1350PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1474411521&sr=8-4

1 minute ago, IAEInferno said:

Oh... so I would be using more power if I use a UPS and it will just increase electricity bills...

Yes as the computer generates waste energy; you're just adding a large battery which also produces waste energy in the form of heat. This leaves you with more waste energy overall than just plugging your computer directly into the wall.

Just now, W-L said:

Okay thanks! Would it be more cost effective to go for a surge protector instead since I will just do gaming, watch movies and listen to music with this pc build.

As I have posted in my other posts about UPS systems, I live in an area that have power interruptions, frequent brownouts and storms.

Will a good surge protector do the trick or do I really need a UPS system?

2 minutes ago, ModerateSkill said:

Yes as the computer generates waste energy; you're just adding a large battery which also produces waste energy in the form of heat. This leaves you with more waste energy overall than just plugging your computer directly into the wall.

What would your estimation of extra costs per month be if my planned build(pc,monitor,speakers) use about around 600W maximum while I use this UPS system UPS.

5 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Okay thanks! Would it be more cost effective to go for a surge protector instead since I will just do gaming, watch movies and listen to music with this pc build.

As I have posted in my other posts about UPS systems, I live in an area that have power interruptions, frequent brownouts and storms.

Will a good surge protector do the trick or do I really need a UPS system?

For sudden power outages and brownouts a UPS would be ideal especially if you want to protect against data loss or corruption. It can also compensate for variations in voltages either from a brownout or a sudden surge to keeps things consistent for the power supply and subsequently hardware in the system.