850 Evo Started freezing. Dying drive?

I have been running an 850 Evo for almost a year and all of a sudden my computer started freezing up. It starts by not being able to open programs and then windows hangs. It started earlier today and happens randomly. It has happened about 5 times now. Is this a sign my ssd is dying?

Might be a loose/damaged sata cable. It has happened to me before. Try replacing the cable.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

20 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Might be a loose/damaged sata cable. It has happened to me before. Try replacing the cable.

I tried running a new power cable from my modular psu thinking maybe something was wrong with the power cable. That didn't solve it. I'll try a new sata cable.

Edit: new sata cable on another port did not fix it

26 minutes ago, fanchazstic said:

I tried running a new power cable from my modular psu thinking maybe something was wrong with the power cable. That didn't solve it. I'll try a new sata cable.

Edit: new sata cable on another port did not fix it

You could try reading your SSD's SMART but honestly your issues could be caused by a ton of different things.

Maybe you got a faulty one, just back up data just in case, if this continues to happen in the future, give it to samsung and they might give you a new one if you are still under warranty I think.

1. back up data
2. try using a different sata port on your mobo, might have to adjust boot order
3. download HWINFO64, under sensors, it will tell you if the Hardware Failure warning has gone off. and it will also show you useful life left
4. Use samsung's own SSD tool to do error checks/tests

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Check its condition using crystaldiskinfo.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, mok said:

1. back up data
2. try using a different sata port on your mobo, might have to adjust boot order
3. download HWINFO64, under sensors, it will tell you if the Hardware Failure warning has gone off. and it will also show you useful life left
4. Use samsung's own SSD tool to do error checks/tests

I've tried to back up my data but windows freezes. Definitely not a good sign. I have an offsite backup that runs once daily, so i won't be losing any data. I tried a different sata port as well

13 minutes ago, Windows 10 said:

Maybe you got a faulty one, just back up data just in case, if this continues to happen in the future, give it to samsung and they might give you a new one if you are still under warranty I think.

I have through samsung magician. I have written 17TB to it and it has been powered on for 5474 hours. Current value of Wear Leveling is 96, and reallocated sector count is 100. It also says airflow temperature is at 60 degrees, which is not true because it is cool to the touch. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2696146/windows-samsung-evo-850-freezing-entire-system.html
"Boot up in safe mode and see if it freezes there as well. I JUST got done figuring out a similiar issue with a client who i installed a 500 GB Evo in. In his case though i cloned is 500 GB hard drive to his SSD and for some reason the User Profile Service would keep crashing. I then made a new user (In safe mode) and loaded up in there. Was fine. I then pointed the new user to use his user folder and after that no issues.
"

Try this ?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2696146/windows-samsung-evo-850-freezing-entire-system.html
"Boot up in safe mode and see if it freezes there as well. I JUST got done figuring out a similiar issue with a client who i installed a 500 GB Evo in. In his case though i cloned is 500 GB hard drive to his SSD and for some reason the User Profile Service would keep crashing. I then made a new user (In safe mode) and loaded up in there. Was fine. I then pointed the new user to use his user folder and after that no issues.
"

Try this ?

i'll try that. thanks

You have something that's accessing the SSD too much.  You should be able to tell by looking in the Task Manager.  The same excessive disk usage might be driving up SSD temps as well.  Find what it is and you'll probably have no further issues.

9 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Did you recently get the anniversary update (windows 10) or change any driver software?

I did just get the anniversary update a couple days ago. Could this possibly be the cause?

13 minutes ago, fanchazstic said:

I did just get the anniversary update a couple days ago. Could this possibly be the cause?

Possibly, it can cause a whole host of issues from crashing to lag, check if you have system interrupts in your processes (all users) in task manager as that is a sign of a software issue, also check ram usage

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Possibly, it can cause a whole host of issues from crashing to lag, check if you have system interrupts in your processes (all users) in task manager as that is a sign of a software issue, also check ram usage

How would I check for interrupts in task manager? Would it be labeled as an interrupt?

3 minutes ago, fanchazstic said:

How would I check for interrupts in task manager? Would it be labeled as an interrupt?

Should be in the description of the process, I don't remember the exe name but just look through all the descriptions

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Should be in the description of the process, I don't remember the exe name but just look through all the descriptions

Yup I see something called "system interrupts" 

It's not using much cpu or ram though. 0% ram and 0.1% cpu. I have found that my computer doesn't freeze while I'm using it though. But as soon as I let it idle for a couple minutes it freezes up. Makes me thing it's a low power state thing. Maybe it tries to shut things down to consume less power when idling 

47 minutes ago, fanchazstic said:

Yup I see something called "system interrupts" 

It's not using much cpu or ram though. 0% ram and 0.1% cpu. I have found that my computer doesn't freeze while I'm using it though. But as soon as I let it idle for a couple minutes it freezes up. Makes me thing it's a low power state thing. Maybe it tries to shut things down to consume less power when idling 

So if you see that generally there are two possibilities 

1) Windows is partially corrupted

2) You have a deep virus

I recommend reinstalling windows assuming you can't find a virus and fix it, I believe you said you had a backup so that seems like a viable solution. This is just an unfortunate side affect of windows 10 quality control being lessened.

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

So if you see that generally there are two possibilities 

1) Windows is partially corrupted

2) You have a deep virus

I recommend reinstalling windows assuming you can't find a virus and fix it, I believe you said you had a backup so that seems like a viable solution. This is just an unfortunate side affect of windows 10 quality control being lessened.

Well one thing I forgot to mention is that once it freezes, usually the drive doesn't show up in the bios on reboot. The drive isn't detected and it won't boot back into windows. If I let it sit for a few minutes, it shows back up. It leads me to believe that it might be overheating or something, since Samsung Magician reported really high temps. But the drive is mounted in a metal 2.5" to 3.5" drives with an intake fan blowing over it, and it is completely cool to the touch

24 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

How high we talking, 50 60 70+?

It was saying 60-61C which seems insane for an ssd. But like I said it doesn't feel hot so I don't know if that's right. I just downloaded HWInfo64 and it says it's at 38C

4 minutes ago, fanchazstic said:

It was saying 60-61C which seems insane for an ssd. But like I said it doesn't feel hot so I don't know if that's right

Eh it's high but the ssd is rated to work up to 70 degrees, seems odd that it is high like that but there could be something messing with files causing the issue, worst case scenario you wipe the drive reinstall and there is no improvement, then you just rma it with samsung, for comparison mine has never gone beyond 40 degrees

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Eh it's high but the ssd is rated to work up to 70 degrees, seems odd that it is high like that but there could be something messing with files causing the issue, worst case scenario you wipe the drive reinstall and there is no improvement, then you just rma it with samsung, for comparison mine has never gone beyond 40 degrees

I just downloaded HWinfo64 and it is saying 38C. I guess I should just wipe it. I am at college right now and this computer backs up to my server at home every night, so while I won't be losing data, it will take forever to download it from my server at home. My upload speed at home is 4mbps. So that's why it's a last resort. I might be going home sometime soon and I could get the data onto an external drive to bring back to school with me, but who knows how long it'll be until I go home next. I'm going to try safe mode to see if it still freezes in safe mode and if it does, I'm just going to wipe it. If it doesn't freeze I'll uninstall basically all my programs and drivers and start new without wiping windows.