AMD's AM4 socket has been pictured

Doobeedoo
2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

And since they are fragile, the motherboard comes with a cap that is used to protect the pins when a CPU isn't installed.

Yeah, but everyone that's ever going to upgrade their processor or remove the heatsink to change the thermal paste (and remove the cpu to clean it easier) will obviously go search through old boxes to find that crappy piece of plastic and cover the socket the moment they remove the processor. No, they'll just leave the socket open on the desk.

And service centers have lots of time to just screw around with all kinds of plastic lids on their work tables and extra steps each time they need to work with processors. NOT.

That's where most of the accidents with the socket happen - people are too lazy to bother (searching and) placing the lid on the socket when it's exposed, or they just lose the lid - which by the way is another stupid thing, giving them an excuse to save money and screw customers ... companies refuse to accept your motherboard for service if you don't send it with a lid covering the socket, even if the fault is not in the socket but somewhere else.

In those situations, the socket would only be exposed for a short amount of time. Every single LGA775 and LGA1150 motherboard that I've bought online has had its protective plastic cap, even my old P5K VM, which came from some one who knows very little about even constructing a computer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

In those situations, the socket would only be exposed for a short amount of time. Every single LGA775 and LGA1150 motherboard that I've bought online has had its protective plastic cap, even my old P5K VM, which came from some one who knows very little about even constructing a computer.

And user has motherboard installed in a matx case and bends down over the case and fidgets around moving cables around so he could shove his big hand there and opens the socket to place the cpu in the socket and accidentally drops it from a few cm and your socket is damaged.

I'm just imagining scenarios where user could damage their components - you have to agree that it's more difficult to do with a PGA socket and processor with pins.

Of course when you buy a new motherboard, the lid is gonna be there but not all users are going to install the processor in a new motherboard, outside a case, on a motherboard that's outside in an easy to access work area, where the risks of damaging stuff are minimal. Some users don't even receive that lid from system builders, or they buy their computers already used without instruction manuals, driver cds, accessories left in original boxes, or you could have moms and pops cleaning the garage or kids' room and throwing out boxes without kid knowing.. 

24 minutes ago, mariushm said:

--

the issue is, in the home user scenario every decent human being puts all their accessories in the motherboard box, and when you undertake something of this magnitude you go grab the lid and have it ready.

it's not just a matter of common sense, it's a matter of any warranty being denied if the mobo does not have that cover on it when you send it in with issues. 

--

and in the large numbers operation kind of deal, they are prepared to do any "exposed socket" operations in a location where cat paws and stray screwdrivers arent an issue.

--

in terms of dropping the cpu in from a slightly higher distance than expected, you'd have to quite unluckily flick the chip in with a corner straight on the pins from a distance to do any actual damage, the socket isnt made from miniature glass, it's not as fragile as you think. (and at the point of having an accident of this magnitude, you'll be in for quite the experience with your PGA as well xD)

When I was building my latest gaming PC I accidentally dropped my 6700k into the socket, it was about 2 cm drop and it landed into the socket. No damage. Trust me I looked hard at the CPU and the socket as I thought I screwed up royally. 

I don't have any skin in this game, my preference is for LGA but that is my opinion qed.

Maybe we need a hybrid CPU socket where the actual pins insert in the CPU! That way both parties can be equally mad. Think of a reverse PGA where the tips of the pins are like LGA springs inside the package. 

I will see myself out...

1 minute ago, LoE Ferret said:

When I was building my latest gaming PC I accidentally dropped my 6700k into the socket, it was about 2 cm drop and it landed into the socket. No damage. Trust me I looked hard at the CPU and the socket as I thought I screwed up royally. 

I don't have any skin in this game, my preference is for LGA but that is my opinion qed.

Maybe we need a hybrid CPU socket where the actual pins insert in the CPU! That way both parties can be equally mad. Think of a reverse PGA where the tips of the pins are like LGA springs inside the package. 

I will see myself out...

Or maybe develop some type of bio-fluid contacts?

Besides, how much longer until silicon is done? What do the IBM (?) Graphite based chips use for contacts?

1 minute ago, LoE Ferret said:

I will see myself out...

i've done much worse than 2cm to LGA sockets, dont worry :P

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've done much worse than 2cm to LGA sockets, dont worry :P

I know, but at the time your heart stopped a little. The damn CPU seemed to try to become a basketball at that point. Given Australian pricing of PC stuff can be phrased "Oh that is a nice wallet you have there, it would be a shame if someone emptied it for you" I did not want to replace both the CPU and motherboard for being dumb.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Or maybe develop some type of bio-fluid contacts?

Besides, how much longer until silicon is done? What do the IBM (?) Graphite based chips use for contacts?

lol I can almost imagine the pods from the Matrix except a little CPU in the middle.

Interconnectors are always a pain with electrical items.

On 9/17/2016 at 5:28 AM, manikyath said:

to be honest, they really should've gone LGA. it's easy to protect the pins of an LGA socket, pins on the bottom of a cpu are just doomed to get bent at some point.. :/

They're a lot stronger than the pins on a LGA motherboard. Also the pins on a CPU are straight, Have you ever looked at the pins closely on a LGA socket? They're a nightmare to fix. 

foxconn-lga1155-pin-burnout-1.jpg

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

LGA all day, I don't even see it as an argument. One has pins that can break off, the other you'd have to try pretty hard to screw up.  I don't think PGA is necessarily problematic, I've never had a problem with it, but LGA just seems so much harder to break.

Yeah, it maybe harder to identify and fix a bent pin on an LGA, but how do you even mess up one of the pins on an LGA board in the first place?  The bottoms of the processors are flat and dropping a screw in the socket isn't going to have enough force to really bend or break any pins.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

it has a hole in the center WUT

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, mariushm said:

-snip-

The Zeppelin line-up supports 8 way DDR4.

@TidaLWaveZIt is harder to bend pins on LGA, but if you do it is harder to correct than on PGA.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, lukart said:

-snip-

Nah, AMD can use LGA if they want, there was a line-up of Opterons that used LGA. 

On 9/17/2016 at 2:28 PM, manikyath said:

to be honest, they really should've gone LGA. it's easy to protect the pins of an LGA socket, pins on the bottom of a cpu are just doomed to get bent at some point.. :/

On 9/17/2016 at 2:35 PM, Misanthrope said:

I agree: the main reason is that for most builds the processor is more expensive than the motherboard so it's a good idea to protect the processor first mobo second from a pragmatic standpoint.

Agree, somehow i had a old AMD PC and knocked it with my leg and it feel on the side and the pins where bent af...

7 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

-snip-

Seems a bit fragile...

I've literally fallen off my bed onto my PC and it's been fine...

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

Seems a bit fragile...

I've literally fallen off my bed onto my PC and it's been fine...

Idk, the pins were bent and that's it...

Just now, keNNySOC said:

-snip-

Eh, I guess you got unlucky...

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

Eh, I guess you got unlucky...

Well that PC by now would be obsolete af...

Good think my other one is in a service ship because i fucked it up to xD

All I want to know is will they use the same mounting as am3 honestly they have had the same layout since am2 so I hope so so I can carry over my h80i.

4 hours ago, lonewolf5460 said:

All I want to know is will they use the same mounting as am3 honestly they have had the same layout since am2 so I hope so so I can carry over my h80i.

No, it will be different. Some companies that make aftermarket coolers will provide free adapters to customers. Noctua is the only one named though.

Since the CPU has an integrated Southbridge and other architecture differences, it'll be larger than AM3, requiring a change in the mounting holes located on the board.