Do i have to replace my O.S if i buy a new motherboard?

Cowy

Hi all, I currently have windows 7 64bit OEM version. I was thinking about upgrading my mobo and CPU and was wondering whether i needed to buy a new copy of my O.S? 

Thanks in advance! :P

Cheers  :D 

Nope! :) 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

No you just have to call Microsoft so that they can reactivate your version of Windows again. So that it will deactivate the one on your old motherboard since you can only have it active on one motherboard at a time.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Call/contact microsoft to detach the windows key from the old motherboard so you can activate the windows on the new motherboard...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Hi all, I currently have windows 7 64bit OEM version. I was thinking about upgrading my mobo and CPU and was wondering whether i needed to buy a new copy of my O.S? 

Thanks in advance! :P

The OEM license specifically states that you cannot transfer the license of Windows 7, unless your previous motherboard is broken. In such case a phone activation explaining the problem will be required.

Windows 8 System Builder (aka: OEM that you buy in retail stores, not the one from Dell, HP, Acer, etc..) you can transfer no problem, as long as, in some point in time, you agree at this license agreement: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx, which pretty much turns Windows 8 System Builder license to Retail without box and support :)

I've used an oem copy of windows (on the same drive) on 4 different motherboards. It didn't care at all! :)

Edit- Oh that's why, it was a copy that came with the HDD from dell. So it wasn't an illegal activity after all. My apologies!

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I've used an oem copy of windows (on the same drive) on 4 different motherboards. It didn't care at all! :)

You can keep your illegal activities to yourself. It goes against forum rules.

No idea it was illegal? I've asked this question before on this forum and others and people told me not to worry about it... Besides I'm using a disk copy of windows 7 ultimate now anyways  :(

Edit- Oh that's why, it was a copy that came with the HDD from dell. So it wasn't an illegal activity after all. My apologies!

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

In this situation, there's nothing illegal about it. 

2.   INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a.  One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with 
which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

b.   Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed 
computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the 
software on any other computer.

c.  Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the 
software at a time on the licensed computer.

d.   Alternative Versions.  The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 
64-bit. You may use only one version at one time. If the manufacturer or installer provides you 
with a one-time selection between language versions, you may use only the one language 
version you select.

Even if there was something against using it on a second computer, EULAs aren't generally legally binding.

In this situation, there's nothing illegal about it. 

Even if there was something against using it on a second computer, EULAs aren't generally legally binding.

Explain that to Linus, and he will see if he will be happy about when Microsoft will come and force his hand to shut down the forum.

Explain that to Linus, and he will see if he will be happy about when Microsoft will come and force his hand to shut down the forum.

What is there to explain?

Oh all the OEM controversy.... I'll have to make default answerr to this question to paste everytime ppl ask this. But before it, my opinion: OEM and Retail are same except higher price on retail and lack of offical support. So responsibility of OS is whoever installed it, not Microsofts. Branded OEMs (comes with laptops, branded desktops like HP and Dell) are different and they are bound to mobo (Win7).

If your OEM is not branded, you don't need to deactivate it or call to Microsoft. Just don't enter your key during installation process. You can do it later when activating copy. If its branded, then you have to do things mentioned above.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv