Power consumption is acting up

Karmek

Hey,

I updated Corsair Link today and noticed that the PSU indicates way higher power draw than before.

Are you in a similar situation? I go getting an amperemeter for the wall socket in the meantime.

System:

• Corair AX860i PSU
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
  • Intel i7-6700K 4.5 GHz, 1.3V adaptive mode
  • MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • 4x 8 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1x NVMe SSD
  • 1x Sata HDD
  • 4 fans
  • Windows energy settings are set to "Balanced"

Power Consumption:

From the wall:

• Idle: ~52W
  • Load: 190-210W

v4.2.4.25

Spoiler

Idle:

Spoiler

Power old.PNG

Load:

Spoiler

Load old.PNG

v4.3.0.154

Spoiler

Idle:

Spoiler

Power new.PNG

Load:

Spoiler

Load new.PNG

Have you tried restarting your PC to make sure nothing is running?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yep, I restarted after both updating and reverting back to the last version.

The screenshots show values 2 min after restart and no further input. CPU usgae is ~2%, at 800-1000 MHz idle clock.

EDIT: I've added some values under load and measured values from the wall. Latter ones are quite close to the result of v4.3.0.154. However, idle consumption is about 25W higher than what the socket tells me.

So, can I trust the socket + updated version? Would you consider those values normal?

2 hours ago, Karmek said:

Yep, I restarted after both updating and reverting back to the last version.

The screenshots show values 2 min after restart and no further input. CPU usgae is ~2%, at 800-1000 MHz idle clock.

EDIT: I've added some values under load and measured values from the wall. Latter ones are quite close to the result of v4.3.0.154. However, idle consumption is about 25W higher than what the socket tells me.

So, can I trust the socket + updated version? Would you consider those values normal?

PSU efficiency is a thing and the socket readout at the wall is always going to be higher than what the PC itself is demanding of the PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

52 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

PSU efficiency is a thing and the socket readout at the wall is always going to be higher than what the PC itself is demanding of the PSU.

The difference is shown as inbound and outbound wattage on the screenshots (hard to see since it's in German).

But I wonder why power drawn from the socket is 51W while Corsair Link measures 100W inbound and 85W outbound (85% efficiency) in idle.