What if Phenom II became "Modernized"?

Go to solution Solved by Clyne,
1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Well ok then, but a X4 will provide the best value and performance in the long term

A Athlon ii X4 would still be fine, I'd briefly owned a 630 and performed decent. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-630-2-80GHz-Socket-AM3-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-ADX630WFK42GM-/361729618823?hash=item5438c3f387:g:8z4AAOSwmfhX2YHc

I wasn't in the tech community at the time of the reign of Phenom II, but what if AMD made it in 14nm, and overall cleaned up the old architecture, I'm quite honestly curious what would happen..

Just now, AceTaker said:

I wasn't in the tech community at the time of the reign of Phenom II, but what if AMD made it in 14nm, and overall cleaned up the old architecture, I'm quite honestly curious what would happen..

Whoops, I meant to put it in discussions, can a mod do that for me?

Just now, TheRandomness said:

This is the correct area to put this.

Oh, then good :D 

2 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

Whoops, I meant to put it in discussions, can a mod do that for me?

Yep ;) (report the post if you wanna but it's still in the correct sub forum as what you're asking is still CPU related)

3 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

Not that much I would suspect...it may overclock better and use less power but it won't get any IPC gains so...at the most, a lower power consuming but higher clocked phenom 2 :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yep ;) (report the post if you wanna but it's still in the correct sub forum as what you're asking is still CPU related)

Not that much I would suspect...it may overclock better and use less power but it won't get any IPC gains so...at the most, a lower power consuming but higher clocked phenom 2 :D 

basically not worth it, not much gain and ZEN is on its way and that better be good preformance or i might or might REALLY flip my shit at AMD lol especially if they screw up pricing, 4c 8t should be about an unlocked I5 for this to be any good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Easy, the Apple approach. 20% thinner, 40% faster, 25% more battery life, blah blah blah.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

basically not worth it, not much gain and ZEN is on its way and that better be good preformance or i might or might REALLY flip my shit at AMD lol especially if they screw up pricing, 4c 8t should be about an unlocked I5 for this to be any good

I feel like if a 8350 was on a smaller node (such as 22nm), it would have probably done a lot better, I wouldn't have been surprised if more people used it in workstation and servers as it wouldn't be as hungry :P 

On a side note, I still find it funny how phenom 2 had better IPC than piledriver/what ever the FX are based on xD 

4ghz-itunes.png

18 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

They could put loads of them and make a "Phenom Phi". That's what intel did, got a bunch of cores from one of the lga 775 CPUs, reduced manufacturing process and threw them as a GPU.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I feel like if a 8350 was on a smaller node (such as 22nm), it would have probably done a lot better, I wouldn't have been surprised if more people used it in workstation and servers as it wouldn't be as hungry :P 

i dont think that would help much with the horrible IPC tho lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

What the fx series lacked was just the raw math performance intel had. However if you want a router, a web server or even firewall those 8 cores will do those things faster as they dont have much math involved. The aim of the fx series was that most daily tasks didnt need mean 3D math which is why the 8 core fx series was comparable to intel quad cores for gaming. Do browsers require lots of math? I think doing a browser and code compilation(like compiling with Gcc or distributed CC) benchmark will help to shed some light on the architectures. Some things like LLVM take half an hour just to compile on a multicore system.

Essentially Phenoms II's are like Zen... in a way... difference performance, and different times. Cheap-ish (Cheaper then an Intel Processor! xD) Yet bring good performance, then Phenom II's, (I wasn't in the tech community at that time) Essentially what seemed like the same thing, but much, much different. Am I correct?

What would happen? K10 would destroy Piledriver based CPU and APU; it would be more efficient, the dies would be smaller and cheaper to produce, you'd actually see 8 cores from AMD, not "4 modules 8 cores", adding SMT would see AMD competing with Intel again (the IPC improvements over 45nm would be significant). That never happened though as AMD hates re-using architectures and would rather develop a new one very single time (hence the trouble they got into with Bulldozer being worse than K10, and Piledriver being about equal on its smaller node)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That never happened though as AMD hates re-using architectures

Maybe that's why their GPU division isn't bad like the CPU one...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

15 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

The Phenom II, however I recommend a Phenom II X4 as the bare minimum. Anything less than a quad core/high clock speed dual core hyperthreaded CPU is poor value IMHO. Especially after using an A8 4555m then going back to the (true quad core) Phenom II P920 and its replacement N970 (worst mobile Phenom II X4 to the best).

PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

The Phenom II, however I recommend a Phenom II X4 as the bare minimum. Anything less than a quad core/high clock speed dual core hyperthreaded CPU is poor value IMHO. Especially after using an A8 4555m then going back to the (true quad core) Phenom II P920 and its replacement N970 (worst mobile Phenom II X4 to the best).

I can't exactly afford a used X4.. My budget is extremely small, 30-40$ With tax is my max. :/ BTW, I'm using a Dell inspiron 570, that I'm going to upgrade the cooler, and the CPU. I have the CPU cooler worked out.

48 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

I can't exactly afford a used X4.. My budget is extremely small, 30-40$ With tax is my max. :/ BTW, I'm using a Dell inspiron 570, that I'm going to upgrade the cooler, and the CPU. I have the CPU cooler worked out.

Well ok then, but a X4 will provide the best value and performance in the long term

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

A Athlon ii X4 would still be fine, I'd briefly owned a 630 and performed decent. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-II-X4-630-2-80GHz-Socket-AM3-Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-ADX630WFK42GM-/361729618823?hash=item5438c3f387:g:8z4AAOSwmfhX2YHc