Is it possible to use laptop for 15 years?

BL00DL1N3

I have a laptop with core i7, gt 750m, and a 256gb ssd. I usually hate spending money, so I wonder if my pc will last for 15 years.

I will install chrome os or a lightweight linux if my laptop starts to lag a lot.

Main computer(laptop): Samsung Ativ Book 8

Specs: Core i7 4710hq, Intel hm81 chipset, 8GB DDR3, GT 750M

2 minutes ago, BL00DL1N3 said:

I have a laptop with core i7, gt 750m, and a 256gb ssd. I usually hate spending money, so I wonder if my pc will last for 15 years.

I will install chrome os or a lightweight linux if my laptop starts to lag a lot.

Not really.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Hell, 15 Years. God knows what sick stuff we use in 15 Years.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

My ex laptop is 10 years old now. I upgraded last year to a Lenovo Y50.

I think it could still run things, but not that exactly too well. Anyway, it'd first have to last 15 years.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I highly doubt it will still be useful in 10 years

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

You hate spending money...ok...but 15 years,are you like homeless or some shit xD

I would recommend you watch this video:

It's not exactly your scenario, but he has some good insight.

The answer to your question in my opinion: likely not. Of course you could make it last 15 years, but would you want that? In 15 years the landscape of computer technology can change a LOT, there is no way to predict it. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Hell, 15 Years. God knows what sick stuff we use in 15 Years.

I can save tons of money for using a laptop for 15 years.

I will use my money only for food and kid education in the future.

15 Years it probably won't support anything. A better question is will it last 5 years, which is the normal pace people seem to upgrade, Some 3 others 5 and very few 7 if they went balls to the walls on a PC.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I highly doubt you are in a position where you won't upgrade in 15 years...

But If you are, i mean Its possible, my family still uses a laptop thats like 10 years old

One of my friend has a 13 year old laptop, and it is from samsung

If you replace the battery multiple times during that time and keep it as clean as you can, yes. The screen may start to give you trouble eventually if you open/close it too much due to the flex cable bending as well, same as the built in keyboard, membrane keyboards dont last that long. I do still have a Dell Latitude D600 that runs, minus a broken hinge and a Texas Instruments Extensa 605CD that still runs like a charm and is my main vintage game machine.

Just now, Vadise said:

If you replace the battery multiple times during that time and keep it as clean as you can, yes. The screen may start to give you trouble eventually if you open/close it too much due to the flex cable bending as well, same as the built in keyboard, membrane keyboards dont last that long. I do still have a Dell Latitude D600 that runs, minus a broken hinge and a Texas Instruments Extensa 605D that still runs like a charm and is my main vintage game machine.

Well the problem is my screws are stripped and I can't afford a drill. Also, I can't pay the service center reapir cost for dust cleaning($36). My laptop is running like lava though. I wish I can repair those screws and clean dust, but can't just afford the tools to fix the screws...

Let me get on my Pentium M laptop and reply. (13 or less years old)

No, not going to happen.

Lets go on my Pentium 4 Desktop and reply (Fuck, this 13 year old Piece of shit is slow)

probably not... if you really wanted to i'm sure you could manage but 15 years is a tad bit much :P 

Don't worry to much about making it 15 years.  Sometime before then, someone you know is going to feel completely sorry for you and give you their 8 year old laptop, which will seem cutting edge compared to your 10 to 15 year old laptop.  They become worthless after a while.

Linux makes the old pc run like new, right?

That laptop is not going to last you even 3 years unless you sort the dust and thermal issues. Every single component in your machine hates heat, three things kill your computers prematurely, heat, humidity and dust. They work very closely together. Oh, and cigarette smoke.

1 minute ago, Vadise said:

That laptop is not going to last you even 3 years unless you sort the dust and thermal issues. Every single component in your machine hates heat, three things kill your computers prematurely, heat, humidity and dust. They work very closely together. Oh, and cigarette smoke.

The one big problem is that my mom doesn't allow me to get a new pc with my money...

Also, I wish I could spend my money, but my money is too precious

You will get there eventually. I was running on a single core Pentium 4 desktop up until last year, until I got a good enough paying job and I got my fix after a decade and a half of hand me downs. In the meantime, I strongly recommend you educate yourself, you do tear-downs of old machines, learn to service your own computer, watch tutorials, read computer books (even the old ones are very educational). Knowing how to maintain your gear is key if you want it to live longer than it's planned obsolescence.

I don't think because in 15 year the tech changed a lot, like my dad's old pc has 50 gb hard disk (hdd) 512mb ram! It means no, and just use your laptop around 2 or 3 years then swithc to a more powerful pc

Sacrifices need to be made. Otherwise you dont truly want a new piece of kit.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but you can make a full PC last a lot longer. Parts can easier be replaced over time if things in it die, where a lot of laptop parts are unique for that laptop. The build itself will likely be cheaper, and you will generally have more options. If you really need to keep a system running this long (although I would expect that you would be working full time/leaving home in 15 years) then a PC would be the way to do it.