MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon owners

I have a question that I have been trying to find the answer to for months now. I have an X99 Gaming Pro Carbon board that has the "Mystic light" feature; aka RGB lights and an RGB header for LED strips. The Godlike Carbon board allows you to control the lighting and view some system information on a phone or tablet via bluetooth. It appears as though my board supports this as well, but it did not come with a bluetooth/wifi card. Does anyone know if I can get this feature to work if I install a bluetooth/wifi card?

When I open the app, it acts like it wants to connect to a device for control, but obviously cannot due to the lack of a card with which to connect.

Appreciate any information! Thanks guys and gals.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

Why would you want to connect to it via bluetooth? Wi-Fi is a much better solution

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

8 minutes ago, Ernest_L said:

Why would you want to connect to it via bluetooth? Wi-Fi is a much better solution

I don't care how it connects. I just thought that is how MSI had implemented it. If it is over wifi, great. If it is over bluetooth, that is fine as well. 

I am basically asking if my board has the capability of working with this feature if I add a bluetooth/wifi card. I want to make sure it is supported at a software level, or if this is exclusive to the Godlike Carbon.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

Well no luck so far. USB Bluetooth dongle wouldn't work with my computer. I hate that I have nowhere local to buy a wifi/Bluetooth PCIe card. 

I will report back after I get one ordered since there seems to be zero information about this anywhere. It is on MSI's page about the Gaming Pro Carbon, but has no useful information and the manual doesn't speak of Mystic Lighting at all. 

9 hours ago, jonathan13 said:

Well no luck so far. USB Bluetooth dongle wouldn't work with my computer. I hate that I have nowhere local to buy a wifi/Bluetooth PCIe card. 

I will report back after I get one ordered since there seems to be zero information about this anywhere. It is on MSI's page about the Gaming Pro Carbon, but has no useful information and the manual doesn't speak of Mystic Lighting at all. 

Check the brand of wifi and bluetooth card that comes in the mobo, usally they mention it in the review

15 hours ago, Ernest_L said:

Hey, sorry for being off topic, but I notice you have a Maximus Hero Alpha. I can only assume this is as similar as you can get to just the "Hero". 

Does ASUS still do that power cycle thing when you install new hardware? Like boot up, shut off, then boot up again?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

10 hours ago, jooroth18 said:

Check the brand of wifi and bluetooth card that comes in the mobo, usally they mention it in the review

It appears the Godlike comes with Killer AC 1535. It can be purchased as an M.2 card. I guess that card with an adapter to run in a PCIe slot is probably my best chance at getting this to work.

I just really don't understand how they can advertise it on the main page for the Gaming Pro Carbon (very first "feature" listed) and not mention a word of it in the manual. The app you download is useless as far as a direction of how to set it up. If I was someone that modded PC's for a living and I had purchased this board just for this particular feature, I would be furious. >:(

DONT interface it with pcie. its recommended to use a supported m.2 slot on your motherboard. you can try pcie, however i think the adaptation to pcie will mess up with the motherboard interfacing with the card.

It appears as though this particular m.2 has a different socket than anything I have been able to find on the internet. Maybe I am just not looking in the right places. Below are two photos- first one is what the m.2 looks like on it's own and the second is the module that comes with the Godlike Carbon. Has anyone seen either one of these two connections before? The one in the second picture almost looks like a USB 3.0 header, but there is a missing pin in the center instead of in the corner.

71PwB6upOyL._SL1141_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1 minute ago, jooroth18 said:

DONT interface it with pcie. its recommended to use a supported m.2 slot on your motherboard. you can try pcie, however i think the adaptation to pcie will mess up with the motherboard interfacing with the card.

Take a look at my photos. My M.2 slot looks nothing like what this card is. Will it still fit?

1 minute ago, jooroth18 said:

can you show the type of m.2 slot on your board?

Sorry, this was the best picture I could find that somewhat shows the M.2. It is the same PCIe M.2 that come on all the newish boards these days. I assume I could still slot this card into it and physically it would fit, but since it has a different connector, I don't want to go rogue and just start putting things in the slot that may or may not be meant for it. M.2 is next to the 2nd PCIe x1 slot.

unlocked-msi-x99a-carbon-gaming-pro-review-3.jpg

Better photo

MSI-X99-Gaming-Pro-Carbon-PCI-E-1024x820.jpg

It would be nice if I could find a way to adapt the socket on the module that comes with the Godlike Carbon so I don't use up my only M.2 slot on a network card. I would really like to use it for a Samsung NVME drive in the future.

are you able to get a really close shot so i can see the pin layout because its a little hard to tell how many ins are on your m.2 slot

I will take a much closer detailed shot of my board when I get home from work today. 

At this point I wish MSI had not even put the idea in my head that I could control the lighting via an Android device. It is pretty gimmicky, and I would probably not even use it much, but now I am on an official mission to figure it out.

Also, it makes me wonder if I just got a network card like THIS, if that would work and allow me to connect.