Is the Hyper 212 Evo a good enough cooler for a i7-6700k?

Peter Boyle

I am building a gaming/rendering pc soon. I am planning on getting a i7-6700k with a Corsair h100i v2 but I want to have a cheaper cooler that I can fall back on if I dont have enough money to buy the h100i v2. I dont plan on doing any overclocking to the cpu when i get the pc (but maybe in the future).

thanks

2 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

I am building a gaming/rendering pc soon. I am planning on getting a i7-6700k with a Corsair h100i v2 but I want to have a cheaper cooler that I can fall back on if I dont have enough money to buy the h100i v2. I dont plan on doing any overclocking to the cpu when i get the pc (but maybe in the future).

thanks

if you don't plan on doing overclock, you should probably stick with the non-k, but since you specified maybe later, the 212 evo will do until you want to overclock.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its more than enough if your not overclocking

I was just wondering because I have saw posts of people getting like temps of 90 plus (no overclock) but i though something was wrong with those temps

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

why would you not overclock it right away lol? 

because im relativly new to pc's (im moving from console) and i want to get used to it a bit more first

2 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

I was just wondering because I have saw posts of people getting like temps of 90 plus (no overclock) but i though something was wrong with those temps

those were most than likely with OC, not at stock

4 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

The installation of the cpu cooler is a very critical part. A bad installation will give you bad cooling. Some people fail to screw in cooler blocks correctly, or they have too much or not enough thermal grease. Just take your time at the installation and youll be fine and do some test when you're done to make sure it's fine. You can even set up temp alarms with your motherboard program or BIOS to avoid components damage when you have a failure (If your fans stop working or your pump stops running if you have watercooling).

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Totally fine even for a minor overclock. Just set up a friend's PC last weekend and made him get the hyper evo (for his 6700K), his idle temps are at the same levels as my 5820K with water cooling. Yes, my PC has creeped up idle temps over past 6 months mainly due to a lack of cleaning (idle has actually gone up like 15 degrees...lol, was idling before at 20-25C, now around 35-40.

Yep, what Loos said. I even used it on a 5820k with an incredibly mild overclock (3.42GHz iirc) once and it was just fine.

It is plenty.

I have a Hyper Evo 212 on my 5820k which is overclocked to 4.2.

Aida64 maxed at about 80c and gaming typically sits around high 60c low 70c range.