Trying to run the HTC Vive

chronuss

I'm trying to figure out if my current build will run the Vive without an upgrade. The main part that is in question is my CPU. I have an i7 860 at 2.8GHz on a MSI P55-GD80 motherboard. It has 16 gigs of ram at 1600MHz. My GPU is fine, it's a GTX 970 SC.  My PC currently runs most if not all of my games very well, but I saw the requirements for the HTC Vive and the CPU, the i5 4590, is a bit ahead of mine. Do you guys think I could get away with my CPU with maybe a little overclocking? (I have never overclocked before)  I really don't want to have to upgrade my CPU, as I will have to upgrade my motherboard, ram, cpu fan, and case to the point that I can use the Vive. The Vive is expensive as is so I don't want to drain my bank account for the upgrade and Vive if possible. What are your guys thoughts on this?

7 minutes ago, chronuss said:

I'm trying to figure out if my current build will run the Vive without an upgrade. The main part that is in question is my CPU. I have an i7 860 at 2.8GHz on a MSI P55-GD80 motherboard. It has 16 gigs of ram at 1600MHz. My GPU is fine, it's a GTX 970 SC.  My PC currently runs most if not all of my games very well, but I saw the requirements for the HTC Vive and the CPU is a bit ahead of mine. Do you guys think I could get away with my CPU with maybe a little overclocking? (I have never overclocked before)  I really don't want to have to upgrade my CPU, as I will have to upgrade my motherboard, ram, cpu fan, and case to the point that I can use the Vive. The Vive is expensive as is so I don't want to drain my bank account for the upgrade and Vive if possible. What are your guys thoughts on this?

The vive itself is like $800, you have to be ready to drop some serious cash on your PC hardware for a good experience

but an i7 6700 would be a solid upgrade for VR

you want a fast CPU so you have better minimum frame rates

Install the Steam VR benchmark and go from there, but a CPU upgrade first is really probably recommended for VR, really though, I'd wait for like the Vive Gen 2 or something before hoping into VR

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

The vive itself is like $800, you have to be ready to drop some serious cash on your PC hardware for a good experience

but an i7 6700 would be a solid upgrade for VR

you want a fast CPU so you have better minimum frame rates

You can also check it in geforce experiance, but i would still recomend a CPU upgrade!

no you will definitely need an upgrade 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I understand the price of the Vive and the upgrades are quite large. I more or less trying to see if I can get away with using my cpu and still have a decent experience. 

I can't really just go test the Vive with my computer sadly. I don't want to upgrade and buy a Vive all at once. The processor I am thinking of getting is the i5 6600k. I'm assuming that is good enough for the Vive?

Do you have enough room to mount the VR sensors.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Yes I have the room to use it. I would just have to move some furniture.

11 minutes ago, chronuss said:

I understand the price of the Vive and the upgrades are quite large. I more or less trying to see if I can get away with using my cpu and still have a decent experience. 

I can't really just go test the Vive with my computer sadly. I don't want to upgrade and buy a Vive all at once. The processor I am thinking of getting is the i5 6600k. I'm assuming that is good enough for the Vive?

Get the i7 6700 instead with a budget motherboard, it makes a lot more sense to buy and the price is similar in the end

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6hswwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6hswwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($297.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($63.98 @ Newegg)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/h9DsRB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/h9DsRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)

but like i said, try the steam VR benchmark and see what that gives you

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Any other opinions on if my current CPU could run the Vive somewhat well? Or any way I can test if my processor is good enough?

12 minutes ago, chronuss said:

i would first do the test on steam for vive. Then look up people with similar specs to the ones you want to upgrade to and see if they passed the test

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I have done it and I got part way into the VR ready zone.  The test on steam doesn't test my CPU though.  

@chronuss what operating system are you useing

Just now, chronuss said:

Windows 7 home prem

ok dont buy the msi motherboard that @Streetguru recommended. I have heard from a bunch of different people that they have trouble using windows 7 on the motherboard.

The only requirement I need for the motherboard is that it have 2 slots for GPUs.  I use the secondary GPU to run my secondary monitor and the tv in the next room. I would also like it to have a decent amount of usb ports. I was thinking about the https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Skylake-B150-Motherboard-M3/dp/B014YN6732/ref=pd_sim_147_29?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=835NEJGZ4X81CQZH262T

6 minutes ago, chronuss said:

The only requirement I need for the motherboard is that it have 2 slots for GPUs.  I use the secondary GPU to run my secondary monitor and the tv in the next room. I would also like it to have a decent amount of usb ports. I was thinking about the https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Skylake-B150-Motherboard-M3/dp/B014YN6732/ref=pd_sim_147_29?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=835NEJGZ4X81CQZH262T

probably fine overall, but you can hook up multiple displays to a single GPU

Spoiler

So, does everyone think my current cpu wont work with the vive well?

I already have 2 gpu's so It will be better to split the workload for the monitors if I can.

Also, any suggestions for a case for a nice case for that motherboard? I would want some dust filters on it. It gets dirty really easily with my current case.

preferably with space for 4+ HDDs and and 2 SSDs. I have not looked at cases in forever.

2 hours ago, chronuss said:

So, does everyone think my current cpu wont work with the vive well?

I already have 2 gpu's so It will be better to split the workload for the monitors if I can.

Also, any suggestions for a case for a nice case for that motherboard? I would want some dust filters on it. It gets dirty really easily with my current case.

preferably with space for 4+ HDDs and and 2 SSDs. I have not looked at cases in forever.

What's your budget for the upgrades?

Literally no real difference running multiple displays from the same GPU

here's an APU with triple displays running dota without much issue
tpHZ9iz.jpg

Spoiler

the case budget would probably be around $70 I guess.  Not sure what you can get for that though.