Best headphones for $100

Soopernova67
Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,
1 minute ago, Soopernova67 said:

Is there a big difference in the sound between the 558 and the 598?

nah they are like 95% the same without the mod and 99.999% the same with the mod

I'm looking for a good pair of of headphones for around $100 or less. I will mainly be using them for listening to a wide variety of music and for gaming. I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser hd 558 headphones but I was wondering if there would be a better option. Any help would be appreciated.

that if you want to buy new you can get a hd598 used on ebay probably

If you like Sennheiser's sound signature and you are ok with paying their name & design, get a used pair of Momentum On Ear.
I have the AKG Y50 (70/80$) and I absolutely love them, (AFTER BURN-IN) they have an amazong precision and a super wide sound spectrum, the bass are deep, maybe a bit too much and they don't need an amplifier. With that budget I would prefer getting a good DEDICATED soundcard / dac + amp and wait until I have the budget to step up right off with more powerful headphones.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Would have to definitely agree with spartaman64, I'd recommend just picking up a pair of used HD598's off ebay.

oh dear fucking god, so much wrong in one thread.

1 hour ago, LionSpeck said:

SNIP

Read and stop that BS 

1 hour ago, spongy21 said:

SNIP

No those are bad compared to the audio quality you can get from headphones

Headphones= No mic

Headset= Mic

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

that if you want to buy new you can get a hd598 used on ebay probably

1 hour ago, 5hepard said:

Would have to definitely agree with spartaman64, I'd recommend just picking up a pair of used HD598's off ebay.

With a very very simple mod the HD558 can sound just like the HD598, so why spend more.

Lastly @OP what sound signature do you want/like? aka where do you like to have more focus? Bass, mids, treble a mix?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I would probably like more focus on the mids and bass but mainly I just want a really open and clean sound.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

With a very very simple mod the HD558 can sound just like the HD598, so why spend more.

Lastly @OP what sound signature do you want/like? aka where do you like to have more focus? Bass, mids, treble a mix?

They sound damn-near identical without the mod.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

oh dear fucking god, so much wrong in one thread.

Read and stop that BS 

No those are bad compared to the audio quality you can get from headphones

Headphones= No mic

Headset= Mic

you dont spend more you spend the same for it used. make sure its from a reputable seller. and i bought a hd558 for 50 dollars so im interested to hear about this simple mod that makes it sound better :D

Just now, JoeyDM said:

They sound damn-near identical without the mod.

yep

Just now, spartaman64 said:

you dont spend more you spend the same for it used. make sure its from a reputable seller 

depends on the used price and where you are in the world and there are also some risks with buying used and the pads might also be worn out.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

yep

depends on the used price and where you are in the world and there are also some risks with buying used and the pads might also be worn out.

the pads are easy to replace and like i said buy from a reputable seller and whats the mod

2 minutes ago, Soopernova67 said:

I would probably like more focus on the mids and bass but mainly I just want a really open and clean sound.

SHP9500 and HD558 are your best bets, but just remember that they leak sound. The treble on the SHP9500 are a bit more bright, but the pads on the SHP9500 are also fixed into place.

the pads are easy to replace and like i said buy from a reputable seller and whats the mod

Yes you can replace them easily, but they still cost money

Yes you can replace them easily, but they still cost money

i always buy my headphones used because i can get a better model than what i can normally get and there isnt really much to break with a headphone

i always buy my headphones used because i can get a better model than what i can normally get and there isnt really much to break with a headphone

yes, but there are some risks and in some places the used HD598 cost more than new HD558, and then you might also have to replace pads. I also look at used models first, but I also add new pads ontop of the used price and then I see if it is worth getting used over new.

1 minute ago, Soopernova67 said:

Is there a big difference in the sound between the 558 and the 598?

nah they are like 95% the same without the mod and 99.999% the same with the mod

SNIP

Used HD598 se (they are the only once on sale used in Denmark) cost 900DKK (135USD), new HD558 cost 600DKK (90USD) right now..

Oh, ok. I'll probably just get the 558 and do the foam mod to them. Thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Used HD598 se (they are the only once on sale used in Denmark) cost 900DKK (135USD), new HD558 cost 600DKK (90USD) right now..

the used hd598 situation is much better here in the us 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headband-Headphones-Brown-/152231956882?hash=item2371bb5192:g:p8oAAOSwknJXztBh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headband-Headphones-Brown-/191961853121?hash=item2cb1d16cc1:g:FccAAOSwknJXy30C

Hd558 is definitely worth the price and moding it really gives a difference. As for your gaming needs, you are better off with an external cheap mic rather than going for a headphones with built in mic as there are shittons of compromises made to stuff both of them in there

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so they are 10-20$ cheaper than new HD558 on ebay. This might just be me, but I would be willing to pay 10-20$ more and get the HD558, because they are new and they are black, but this is really on the edge. I would clean the pads on the used ones...

18 minutes ago, MrVee said:

Hd558 is definitely worth the price and moding it really gives a difference. As for your gaming needs, you are better off with an external cheap mic rather than going for a headphones with built in mic as there are shittons of compromises made to stuff both of them in there

I actually already have a pretty good usb mic attached to a microphone arm. 

Just now, Soopernova67 said:

I actually already have a pretty good usb mic attached to a microphone arm. 

Then its great! :D go for the sennheisers :)