Apple Aims to Refresh Mac Lineup, Introduce Standalone 5K LG Monitor

Hakugman
3 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

You think that's bad, youshould see Asus stats:

lI4ApXv.jpg

That's genuinely lying/misleading. It's probably 15% cooler including all other components or some other stupid lopphole. 

But 5k is actually over 700% more pixels.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

40 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's genuinely lying/misleading. It's probably 15% cooler including all other components or some other stupid lopphole. 

But 5k is actually over 700% more pixels.

Ehh, it's probably actually an underestimate...  But misleading yes, since it's comparing against a reference 290x... You know perhaps the loudest card ever made...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

9 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Ehh, it's probably actually an underestimate...  But misleading yes, since it's comparing against a reference 290x... You know perhaps the loudest card ever made...

I'm basing it on the numbers they gave (74c vs 80c is not a 15% delta). Also, I'm assuming that's the DCU2 290x, in which case it's not much better than a reference 290x.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm basing it on the numbers they gave (74c vs 80c is not a 15% delta). Also, I'm assuming that's the DCU2 290x, in which case it's not much better than a reference 290x.

It's a DC2 980, so it better be.

So it's 74C vs 80C from 35C base... (aka 39C delta vs 45 C delta which is 15%).

The reason I think it's an understatement is that either the 290x reference would run at 95C or it would run at like 45 dB, but no 80C @ 33dB. That is almost respectable...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

13 hours ago, jamesjingyi said:

It's gonna be interesting to see how they will connect to their previous 'Pro' devices like the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro since they only have Thunderbolt 2. They will have to create an adapter that converts 2x Thunderbolt 2 to 1 Thunderbolt 3. Either that or require 2 cables to connect

Actually, no. According to the Thunderbolt Technology Community established by Intel, Thunderbolt 3 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 1, only an Type C to TB 2 cable is needed.

Source: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

2 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Actually, no. According to the Thunderbolt Technology Community established by Intel, Thunderbolt 3 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 1, only an Type C to TB 2 cable is needed.

Source: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq

Does TB2 have enough bandwidth for 5k? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Does TB2 have enough bandwidth for 5k? 

TB2 uses Displayport 1.2, so the answer is yes, but at 30hz.

EDIT:

Although, given that TB also has PCIe lanes, if an GPU is built into the monitor, then hypothetically it could be 60hz.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

retina macbook air pls. pls up battery life to 15hrs somehow and use Apple magic to do it. pls.

From the subtitle of the article: "refreshing the MacBook Air lineup" hmm interesting so the macbook air is here to stay according to Bloomberg? Maybe we can finally get "retina" screens in the airs, its been too long.

@Hakugman you may want to add that, this is the first time I hear about a macbook air refresh.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

On 9/7/2016 at 3:59 AM, Castdeath97 said:

From the subtitle of the article: "refreshing the MacBook Air lineup" hmm interesting so the macbook air is here to stay according to Bloomberg? Maybe we can finally get "retina" screens in the airs, its been too long.

@Hakugman you may want to add that, this is the first time I hear about a macbook air refresh.

Done. I did find that controversial too. I would agree if they boost it up with new gadgets and the retina screens should be by now in their top most requested feature. 

On 06/09/2016 at 5:44 PM, JoeyDM said:

I still don't get the issue. It's still over 700% of the pixels... It's not really misleading in any way.

"5K resolution, which features 700% the pixels found on a standard 1080p display."

Where's the issue in that statement?

Saying "700%" instead of "7 times" is just about having a big number on your website.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

On 6 September 2016 at 6:29 PM, Sauron said:

But again, I'm not complaining. I'm just saying it's very, very recognizable. I'd have given the actual res, but hey.

I guess to most consumers the resolution won't mean as much 

and it's good to be given a scale 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Eh if I were to buy anything from Apple, it would probably be an iPad Mini 4 unless they beef up the 13" rMBP or beef up the MacBook Air.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

They really need to upgrade the mac mini lineup. I use a mac mini 2014 1.4ghz as a server (The program only runs on OSX) and it is a pain to use, It keeps pausing programs in the background such as intel power monitor and browsing can be a real pain.