What do you guys think about the new users?

duckwithanokhat

new user here, can i get direction to where i can ask about mobile phones ?

2 minutes ago, Nigmut said:

new user here, can i get direction to where i can ask about mobile phones ?

scroll down a lot, and there should be a category called"Phones and Tablets" under consumer electronics 

edit: OH YEAH and make sure you quote people when you answer their questions

1 minute ago, duckwithanokhat said:

scroll down a lot, and there should be a category called"Phones and Tablets" under consumer electronics 

i guess i was blind ..... thx for the help

I've been too lazy to do more than lurk, but it gave me the kick to sign up. I actually haven't had a forum community to call "home" since I fell out of the car scene, maybe that'll change.

i5-6400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 960 (1070 coming soon)

1 minute ago, Pigeon_Man said:

I've been too lazy to do more than lurk, but it gave me the kick to sign up.

Well it's good that you finally got started, the community can help you with almost any question you have. :) 

In fact, I got some help on my physics homework here.

Do lurkers count?  I think there's gonna be more lurkers than posters in any forum though

13 minutes ago, Calavaro said:

Yeah, new users suck! :ph34r:

Cheers! :D

9 minutes ago, duckwithanokhat said:

Well it's good that you finally got started, the community can help you with almost any question you have. :) 

In fact, I got some help on my physics homework here.

Cool. it seems like a pretty welcoming community here so far.

i5-6400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 960 (1070 coming soon)

12 minutes ago, Pigeon_Man said:

I've been too lazy to do more than lurk, but it gave me the kick to sign up. I actually haven't had a forum community to call "home" since I fell out of the car scene, maybe that'll change.

Same with me, except I made a forum account that I don't remember the user name and password for.

I love it how in General Discussion there is always 100 moved topics.

I love it how that a $500-$1000 laptop (cost to build) is kicking up the hits, and users on LTT.

I entered the contest, I chose the one with 4k resolution, I think its the Stealth. If I won, I'd buy the extra thingy for gaming, external case and a GTX-1080. I dont know if you could SLI two 1080's in that machine.

I joined the LTT Forum back in 2014 and posted once. I just had leg surgery, checked on the forums today to get information of my SFF build with a 1060 3GB vs 1060 6GB but the delays was crippling so I found my information elsewhere. I'm realizing that there was a giveaway not to long ago (which explained the forums issue early this evening) which in coincidence that it happened to be the day I started posting. I hate being "noob" on one forum when I have other forums as primary. But I have a shit-ton of time on my hands for the next few months so I'll be on the forums more. I'm more of an LTT YouTube comment whore anyways, but I'm going to likely just use LTT as on of my top forums now.

Off-topic.. heres a pic of my leg. 

20160905_smash (1).jpg

3 minutes ago, LazlowRave said:

I joined the LTT Forum back in 2014 and posted once. I just had leg surgery, checked on the forums today to get information of my SFF build with a 1060 3GB vs 1060 6GB but the delays was crippling so I found my information elsewhere. I'm realizing that there was a giveaway not to long ago (which explained the forums issue early this evening) which in coincidence that it happened to be the day I started posting. I hate being "noob" on one forum when I have other forums as primary. But I have a shit-ton of time on my hands for the next few months so I'll be on the forums more. I'm more of an LTT YouTube comment whore anyways, but I'm going to likely just use LTT as on of my top forums now.

Off-topic.. heres a pic of my leg. 

20160905_smash (1).jpg

What happened to your leg?

29 minutes ago, duckwithanokhat said:

I mean I wouldn't call myself a "vet" or whatever, but I've used this forum well before the giveaway and to be honest, it makes me kind of sad when I see people make an account just to enter the giveaway and then never visit this site again.

You do realize that the reason Linus has the giveaways, and the only way to enter, is to join the forum. So when he has a giveaway (which I didn't enter, just sheer coincidence I'm here) he's trying to flood his forums with new, fresh people which, on a percentage, only a few actually continually post afterwards.

I'd just guess the statistical average after giveaways of the new users that start a new account that post at least once a week, weeks after signing up is less than 15%. With the new users per giveaway, that roughly 5% post more than once a week, however less than 3% remain to do so two months after joining after that initial sign-up. Which, honestly is good numbers being that over 200,000 people join just to enter the giveaway. Without fresh people to the forums, the community would become weaker and weaker.

As far as I'm aware methods of Ma Yinchu Theory doesn't work when it comes to wanting more population. I say open the flood gates, because only those who stick around, with something worth saying, might be a good thing to a growing population on public forums. But some people just act "better" because they were already in the room as they watch more enter. 

Better then tattoo's!!!!!!!!

You do know they make dissolvable staples and thread now right.

I watch the video often, was always lazy to register on the forum, but free laptop contest, ok, maybe it's time to register ^^ And maybe I'll come back! :) (at least to see if I won :p)

Shit, I've been a chronic lurker on every forum site I know of, but now I've been moved to get involved. Still feel like a garbage bag though, just a bit ?

I'm mostly indifferent to it. I mean, it's not like it's unexpected. I figure that while many will make a post or two and never come back, some will stick around and provide a genuinely positive impact to the community. 

Besides, it's not like they're really hurting anything. Introducing new members to the forum in this way has few drawbacks, one being the sheer volume of users joining and posting at once, but nobody really could've predicted that. Accept it, and take it as it comes.

As an aside, do you have the same problem with people who join only because of an obscure tech problem? They generally make one or two posts requesting aid to fix some computer issue and leave after that. That's how I started out, but I ended up getting sucked in, mainly by a few people who piqued my interest with their intelligence and clarity of thought.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Well, users don't suck, it's just that they want a new laptop :P

I am here because I heard that there was a LTT forum through the giveaway. I am staying here, hopefully a long time from now :)

Fairly certain @LinusTech and the gang are smart enough to have a filter in place when doing the random drawing to check for multiple accounts.

Yeah, you have many ways to check, but someone who really wants to cheat, if he spends time on it, it's pretty hard to find!

Even if 1% of the new users who enter the giveaway stay here, that is 400 users (as of now) that are new here. That is cool. I for one am not salty if a '1 post wonder' does or does not win the giveaway. Someone with 5000 posts doesn't deserve the price any more or less than a 1 post account and that is because the giveaway are for the LinusTechTips community, not the forum users alone. 

If I hear someone say they want the giveaway only for people with 100 or sometimes 1000 posts or higher accounts, that sounds just entitled.

But anyways, new members are always cool :) 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Someone with 5000 posts doesn't deserve the price any more or less than a 1 post account and that is because the giveaway are for the LinusTechTips community, not the forum users alone. 

What if someone never watched LTT and never heard of it until yesterday and yet manages to win? :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.