Totally amazing and not dangerous cooling idea

PilotTroll
Just now, PilotTroll said:

yeah, one came with my cpu, but it dont work too well... if i try to run too many things it gets hot as f*** and shuts down, its that fx-6300 cpu

Are you sure you applied the thermal paste properly and that the heatsink is securely mounted?

The stock heatsink isn't the best but it should definitely keep your temps in check at stock settings. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

what water cooler is good? idk much about cooling man, all i know is i need more of it

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the outer space has a temp of −270.45 °C and it's so vast that the ISS isn't even worth a grain of sand

but you also have to remember that temperature does not equal heat. you can be in a room that is 20,000 degrees celcius and feel really cold if there are only 3 particles in the room

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

but you also have to remember that temperature does not equal heat. you can be in a room that is 20,000 degrees celcius and feel really cold if there are only 3 particles in the room

lol if one of those particles touch you, you are so dead

2 minutes ago, PilotTroll said:

lol if one of those particles touch you, you are so dead

no it probably wont affect you too much because 1 particle at 20,000 celcius touching you is probably going to raise your temperature by like 0.0002 degrees celcius in fact in that scenario you will freeze to death not considering breathing and pressure

Think of the vacume in your pc as the vacume of space in the universe, one of the most agreed upon ways that the universe will die is the heat death theory where the universe becomeso so hot there is another big bang.... I wouldn't recommend trying it

20 minutes ago, PilotTroll said:

but like... how do they cool shit in space?

The "vacuum" of space: atoms have so much space and volume that any heat they generate has to spread out all over due to thermodynamics. It's why an atmosphere is necessary for a planet to be viable. The atmosphere will trap any radiation that enters but will stop it from exiting too quickly.

20 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

isn't space negative temps

If you mean celsius, yes.

If you mean kelvin, no. -0.15 kelvin would cause atoms to cease movement. Nearly every element would be a solid and if you believe some hypotheses, time would cease as well.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, Immortal Virgin said:

Think of the vacume in your pc as the vacume of space in the universe, one of the most agreed upon ways that the universe will die is the heat death theory where the universe becomeso so hot there is another big bang.... I wouldn't recommend trying it

i think you got that backwards. heat will become spread out and everything will become cold and once heat ie energy is at equilibrium everywhere in the universe then nothing can happen because there would be no more transfers of energy

also the big bang is not a big explosion contrary to what most people seem to think it is just a very fast expansion of space

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i think you got that backwards. heat will become spread out and everything will become cold and once heat ie energy is at equilibrium everywhere in the universe then nothing can happen because there would be no more transfers of energy

Oh look at that your right in guess I remembered it backwards lol thanks :)

ok, guys

lets just end this post

the way a vacuum works is compleatly different to how a vacume in space works

the vacuum in space is blasted by radiation from out sun

a vacuum in your computer is not

a vacume in space is sub-zero

a vacume in your case would be the same temp as the outside air

this idea would not work in real life, it would be impossible

can any mod reading this post please lock this thread so no one else thinks they can have a sub-zero CPU just by taking all of the air out of the case

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

7 hours ago, PilotTroll said:

so, what you're saying is i should use my pc as my heating system? How do i do that?

Won't be really easy. Or is if you want only to keep your room hot 24/7. In space outside of craft is cooler than inside. So to keep inside within living conditions, water used to cool supercomputer is then circulated around the ship before its used to cool again. With PC coolers using air in your room and dumping it back again will do same in smaller scale. Except your rooms temps change according to outside temps. Which is why people living in hotter environments complain when their super-hyper-powered-gaming-pcmr-beast makes their rooms like sauna in middle of summer. If you want to know what happens when amateur in normal living conditions want to move heat from PC to out of the house (or use it as heating element), watch LTTs Whole Room Water Cooling series.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If by vacuum you mean reducing the ambient pressure within the chassis, then no, that would be a horrible idea.

The more air you remove the more heat dissipation would need to occur solely by radiative loss - ie. little to no conductive or convective heat transfer.  Your operating temps would skyrocket.

If by vacuum you mean drawing air through the chassis by attaching a suction device (like a vacuum system) then that would work just fine, so long as the flow was actually travelling over the important bits - heat sinks, coolers and such.

But if you are going to go that cray cray the better approach might be to seal the case from leaks, then drive air through it from an HVAC system with an attached ESD particulate system.  Then you'd be sending a flow of cool, dry, dust free air through the system.