Probably the worst tech video ever: Should you buy a core i7 for gaming!

Ok, first let me put things in perspective here:

this forum lately has seen a lot of ''the core i5-4690K will BOTTLENECK a GTX 1070/1080'' etc. i even seen people go as far as a GTX 970...whatever, i DON'T think it will...the core i5 is a GREAT CPU for gaming and probably more than you'll ever need, and a lot better bang for the buck vs.a core i7 for a GAMER.

That said...this guy is called ''GREG'' he operates a somewhat ''newish'' tech channel..he used to do space and biology content etc. but recently he dove into PC gaming tech pretty hard...problem is: HE IS A NEWBY...he don't understand how this works.

In this video, he say that at lower resolution the core i5 and core i7 will perform virtually identicle and higher resolution would ''unfairly leverage the CPU'' in short he think that the higher the resolution the MORE stress you put on the CPU...which, well...we all know that's not at all how it works...in fact it's the opposite, the lower the resolution the more breathing room you give to the GPU, hence the more frames you render therefore the CPU has to work harder due to the increase in draw calls demand.

Anyways, listen to the video, and PLEASE if you have some time go into the comment section and let him know how bad this video really is...we tried to explain stuff to him but all he respond is that a core i7 for gaming is a stupid idea and that unless you game at 4K a core i5 is better...

Capture.png

Also, the amount of ''Thank you greg you saved me 100$'' etc. in the comment section drives me INSANE!

Anyways...have a good day techy folks!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I laugh on how you use the word "bottleneck" to describe what is a CPU bound game (scenario)

the perfect case study for this: ARMA III - why? because it's single threaded 

I think what he's getting at for the "Anyone who purchases an i5 for 4K gaming is a fool" statement is that if you can afford a GPU capable of gaming at 4K (eg. a GTX 1070 or 1080, Titan X/Titan XP, etc.) and you can afford a 4K monitor, you can probably afford an i7 over an i5.

Regardless, the video seems quite off the mark, although I like his videos in general.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I laugh on how you use the word "bottleneck" to describe what is a CPU bound game (scenario)

the perfect case study for this: ARMA III - why? because it's single threaded 

i agree...and core i7 single-threaded performance is the same as the core i5...but some games are simply VERY demanding on the CPU and can leverage multiple threads...will exibit better minimum FPS and more consistent frame pacing...just think about the witcher 3 for example, or fallout 4...

Anyways, that's beside the point...this guy tested a GTX 1070 @ 2560x1440 of course the CPU difference in that scenario (although very REALISTIC and conform to the resolution at which people will ACTUALLY use the hardware) is NOT really representative...the games he tested aren't the ones i would have picked, the resolution should be lower to really show how the CPU performs...like Digital Foundry videos for example: when they test for CPU performance they use an overclocked Titan X at 1080p...this is how you should do it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Let the crusade to educate retards begin then... Let me get my pitchfork! *goes off to the linked video comment section* xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Regardless, the video seems quite off the mark, although I like his videos in general.

Same here, he makes good quality content in general and his videos are interesting...but he dove into a subject he does not fully understand for this video...

Honestly, the guy should use total war: warhammer or cities skylines to see just why an i7 works well these days. An i5 is still the bang for buck cpu, but the i7 really is seeing benefits now, even BF1 uses 6 to 8 threads at 80% load at times.

People who are going to make videos on subjects like this need to do some proper research and testing before publishing their results, otherwise people who do their research are just going to make a mockery of them, and those who haven't done their research will be lead astray by false information.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

About the Title of the OP: Probably the longest topic title ever, and yet should consider opening it?

About the OP:

Yeah sorry but this was kinda bad. This is very misleading.

The i7 6700K is suitable for a GTX 1070, GTX 1080 etc

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, Thorium19 said:

Honestly, the guy should use total war: warhammer or cities skylines to see just why an i7 works well these days. An i5 is still the bang for buck cpu, but the i7 really is seeing benefits now, even BF1 uses 6 to 8 threads at 80% load at times.

People who are going to make videos on subjects like this need to do some proper research and testing before publishing their results, otherwise people who do their research are just going to make a mockery of them, and those who haven't done their research will be lead astray by false information.

totally agree with you...ahhh it feel great to be understood finally...the comment section under this video has got me ragin inside but you guys put some balm on the wound... :)

core i5 ain't bad...but for a higher-end gaming machine, with a 1070/1080 or even a 980ti...core i7 makes a lot of sense right.

How can make this short.

The I7 for now for just  gaming is waste of money but if you are buying 1080 that different story. 

Games are getting more better at utilizing the cpu it might different story later on.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i agree...and core i7 single-threaded performance is the same as the core i5

no, not really: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1028 - CineBech R15 single threaded

iKTMqA7.png

that difference in cache size matters more than the difference in core clock

Just now, zMeul said:

no, not really: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1028 - CineBech R15 single threaded

that difference in cache size matters more than the difference in core clock

splitting hairs here, this is margin of error stuff... :P

it margin of error only if it present in one case, but it can be reproduced across the board and across architectures

The way to cause CPU dependency is throwing games into 1080p, thus making them entirely CPU dependent since a good GPU such as a 1080 will be running well over 100 fps in those scenarios thus requiring more CPU instructions

Also try playing fallout 4 with an i5 vs an i7 and you'll be wishing you had the i7

Actually the cache is probably more important in most gaming cases, for instance fallout 4 get's its boost from the cache

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, zMeul said:

it margin of error only if it present in one case, but it can be reproduced across the board and across architectures

it's probably just that the core i7 has a higher boost clock or something...the amount of cache will come into play only if the CPU is processing a shit load of instructions...if you're saturating only one or two CPU cores you're certainly not running out of cache?

Even the big tech youtubers and review sites do stuff like this all the time.  Why does this need a special thread 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Oh this guy sometimes make weird videos, i was watching one of hisvideo where he was testing GT210 Graphics card and saying we will test this graphics card and the games that were popular on that era ( 2008-2009 ). But the fun fact he was testing all games on 1080p.

He didnt even know 900p, 768p and some other res were popular for gaming in 2008-2009

Same thing happened in this comment section, people were ragging about the resolution. lol 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Even the big tech youtubers and review sites do stuff like this all the time.  Why does this need a special thread 

Because i think it's sad to miss-lead people like that and i needed to let off some steam...and maybe some of you guys could hit the dislike button and let him know how wrong he is or something :P

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Also try playing fallout 4 with an i5 vs an i7 and you'll be wishing you had the i7

Actually the cache is probably more important in most gaming cases, for instance fallout 4 get's its boost from the cache

i'm aware that Fallout 4 run better on a core i7 (even though it still run like crap, even on my machine) but how much is due to more cache and how much is due to hyper-threading helping with advanced scheduling of critical processing is unknow as far as i'm aware?

it's probably just that the core i7 has a higher boost clock or something...the amount of cache will come into play only if the CPU is processing a shit load of instructions...if you're saturating only one or two CPU cores you're certainly not running out of cache?

yes, the i7 has a higher boost, by 100Mhz

but if you look at the i5 6600K, it has higher base clock compared to the regular one and it still doesn't surpass it

as for the L3 cache, it's shared, not split - it definitely matters

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Because i think it's sad to miss-lead people like that and i needed to let off some steam...and maybe some of you guys could hit the dislike button and let him know how wrong he is or something :P

People should use common sense and use multiple sources a 6700k cost 50% more than a 6600k and it doesn't get you 50% more fps. Simple as that. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i'm aware that Fallout 4 run better on a core i7 (even though it still run like crap, even on my machine) but how much is due to more cache and how much is due to hyper-threading helping with advanced scheduling of critical processing is unknow as far as i'm aware?

Huh I thought it didn't use the hyperthreading properly, but I was wrong, oh well.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Huh I thought it didn't use the hyperthreading properly, but I was wrong, oh well.

i'm not sure, the performance while playing this game on my machine was all over the place to be honest...one minute and it was running great and the next i was struggling for 50FPS...so i don't know :P

i'm not sure, the performance while playing this game on my machine was all over the place to be honest...one minute and it was running great and the next i was struggling for 50FPS...so i don't know :P

1866MHz RAM.