RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:  Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x2

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card

PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor:  Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 144Hz Monitor

Peripherals:  Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard

Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse

This is a build to replace my dying computer and I finally have all the parts picked out. All I need is some second opinions on it. 

1. Is it good as a general purpose PC?  Gaming + Basically everything else that might be a bit challenging on the PC

2. Any parts that aren't relevant anymore/have much better versions? Ignore the case, I'm not going to get that particular one. But if you could recommend a case that'd be nice.

3. Is everything compatible? I haven't found any compatibility issues yet, so I'm hoping someone else can in case I missed anything.

Thanks peeps.:D

Looking great but I'd definitely go for Skylake. its not much more at all. otherwise I'd swap the 850 evo for an OCZ Trion 150, you can save $20 for the same preformance. but awesome build man!:)

The i7 6700K is better, and comes with faster RAM for the price.

You'll want a CPU cooler to cool the i7 (a K CPU doesn't come with one, and you'll want a good one anyway)

Instead of 2 WD Blues, consider a 2TB Hitachi for the same price (Hitachi Storage is now owned by WD)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TQ7YJ4G

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1. I don't think it's not going to be enough in gaming. gtx 1060 for 1440p isn't a good choice.

2. 6700k costs less and performs better than 4790k.

3. It is compatible, but you can change it to better one.

Greetings, Spazegamer.

Looking swift as a gaming computer, will run adobe software and rendering software pretty decent.

Would change the PSU to a smaller one, if budget is a factor :D. Wouldn't recommend WD Blue, bad experience from those, as well as WD Black. Maybe change Storage HDD's to 1 Drive, aka 2TB instead of 2 seperate ones, but that's just my opinion :)   

Can't see any compatibility issues so far.

I would choose i5-6600K + GTX1070 for 1440p

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

As people already suggested, i7 6700k + DDR4 Ram would be a better choice, I think GTX 1060 is too weak for 1440p, you should probably go with i5 6600k + GTX 1070 if you want 1440p, and do people really still pay for Windows?

Definitely go Skylake. Honestly, based upon your suggestions that it's a gaming/general use PC, I think you could save some money by going with an i5-6600K instead of the i7.

I prefer MLC NAND as a boot drive, but the 850 EVO is a solid TLC SSD that won't degrade as quickly as a cheapo TLC SSD will. You could save some money by going with a 250GB drive instead, and relying on your 2TB of HDD space for programs.  @Energycore's suggestion on the Hitachi 2TB drive is one I'd echo.

About that GPU/monitor combination...you're either way overspending on one or way underspending. The monitor you've got picked out is a 144Hz 1440p display. That's cool and all, but a 1060 is totally incapable of pushing that. Of course, if you're not planning on playing games at 144FPS in 1440p, why are you shelling out money on a high-end monitor like that? There are plenty of 1440p60 displays that would suit the 1060's abilities perfectly.

Otherwise, I think your setup looks good.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, PCNoobie said:

This is weird... But I actually got a cheaper version that contains 6700k, and gtx 1070. I know psu is too much, but I've got it for the sli in future.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/kJW8r7

$95 isn't bad for a great PSU

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

$95 isn't bad for a great PSU

I meant wattage. 550W is enough for a gtx 1070.

Just now, PCNoobie said:

I meant wattage. 550W is enough for a gtx 1070.

You're right, but since the difference between 550 and 750 is $15, I'd say it's fine :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Spazegamer said:

~snip~

Hello :)

The build is generally good and you shouldn't have issues with compatibility or performance. As the guys pointed out it may be a better idea to swap some of the parts with some newer gen ones. 

Regarding the storage, are you planning to run those WD Blue drives in a RAID array? I would advise you against that as WD Blue drives don't have the necessary features for a safe and stable performance in RAID arrays. If you do plan on going with RAID I would suggest using NAS/RAID drives such as WD Red.  

If you plan to simply use them as separate drives that is actually a pretty good idea as having a single 2TB drive may increase the chances of loosing everything at once if the drive happens to fail. This way you would have part of your data safe and accessible of something happens with one of the drives. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

16 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello :)

The build is generally good and you shouldn't have issues with compatibility or performance. As the guys pointed out it may be a better idea to swap some of the parts with some newer gen ones. 

Regarding the storage, are you planning to run those WD Blue drives in a RAID array? I would advise you against that as WD Blue drives don't have the necessary features for a safe and stable performance in RAID arrays. If you do plan on going with RAID I would suggest using NAS/RAID drives such as WD Red.  

If you plan to simply use them as separate drives that is actually a pretty good idea as having a single 2TB drive may increase the chances of loosing everything at once if the drive happens to fail. This way you would have part of your data safe and accessible of something happens with one of the drives. 

Captain_WD. 

Yeah my old computer is dying because the hard drive failed, so I thought why not get two drives so that if one dies I still have the other? 

To the rest, I'm going to be swapping out some parts and I'll have a new parts list later today. Thanks so much for the feedback/suggestions! 

20 hours ago, aisle9 said:

About that GPU/monitor combination...you're either way overspending on one or way underspending. The monitor you've got picked out is a 144Hz 1440p display. That's cool and all, but a 1060 is totally incapable of pushing that. Of course, if you're not planning on playing games at 144FPS in 1440p, why are you shelling out money on a high-end monitor like that? There are plenty of 1440p60 displays that would suit the 1060's abilities perfectly.

Otherwise, I think your setup looks good.

So if I were to get a 60Hz monitor instead of 144Hz, it would run better? And the 1060 can get that 60fps right? 144 fps might be a bit much.

2 hours ago, Spazegamer said:

So if I were to get a 60Hz monitor instead of 144Hz, it would run better? And the 1060 can get that 60fps right? 144 fps might be a bit much.

Yes, a 1060-6 should be able to handle 1440p60 in most games, just won't be able to crank everything to max.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 hours ago, Spazegamer said:

~snip~

In this case it would be good to have a RAID1 setup on your system. Mind that it is recommended to have drives with specific features when it comes to RAID usage such as TLER and other firmware additions. WD Blue lacks these features and may have increased chances of dropping out of the array or corrupting data so I'd recommend going with WD Red drives instead which have all those features and are specifically designed for such type of usage. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

On 9/2/2016 at 1:48 AM, Captain_WD said:

In this case it would be good to have a RAID1 setup on your system. Mind that it is recommended to have drives with specific features when it comes to RAID usage such as TLER and other firmware additions. WD Blue lacks these features and may have increased chances of dropping out of the array or corrupting data so I'd recommend going with WD Red drives instead which have all those features and are specifically designed for such type of usage. 

Captain_WD. 

But I have no idea what RAID1 even is or what benefits it has. I just don't want my stuff to sink with the hard drive.

3 hours ago, Spazegamer said:

~snip~

RAID1 or Mirrored RAID is when you have two or more drives working as one and only one of the drives is available to you while the others contain an identical copy of the data on the primary drive bit by bit. The moment you do something on the primary drive (record, delete or alter data) this will be represented automatically on the mirror drive. This way you will have safety in case one of the drives fail. You can then swap the failed drive and then rebuild your array and again have data safety. Mind that this does not provide security in case you delete something by mistake, corrupt or damage your data, get infected with malware or simply suffer physical damage on your computer. This is why RAID1 should be considered redundancy and not backup. 

Check this video for more info or feel free to ask:

Captain_WD.