PSU over-wattage question.

Tanan

Hello there! I'm going to build my pretty much, first gaming PC. Those are the specs I will use.

GIGABYTE GeForce® GTX 1080 G1
Intel® Core™ i7-6700K
ASUS Z170-P
Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (x4)
AMD Radeon R3 - 480GB SSD
Seagate 1TB - 7200rpm
Arctic Liquid Freezer 120
INWIN Mana 136 (comes with 1 120mm fan)
FSP - FSP500-60HHN (500W)
Arctic F12 Silent (x2)

The question is, if I don't use both of that fans will my PC have problems with wattage? I used a calculator to see how many watts I actually need (with fans, 499W). I don't think those fans are actually necessary for the build, but I'm scared to burning the whole thing. Should I keep the fans or not?

PSU Calculators are almost never right and don't give much room for error. I would play it safe and get a 650W PSU (+150W from calculator is a good rule of thumb). The last thing you want is your power supply to fail.

Edit: just to confirm, do not use your build with that PSU, fans or not.

14 minutes ago, Tanan said:

Hello there! I'm going to build my pretty much, first gaming PC. Those are the specs I will use.

Intel® Core™ i7-6700K
ASUS Z170-P
Seagate 1TB - 7200rpm
Arctic F12 Silent (x2)

The question is, if I don't use both of that fans will my PC have problems with wattage? I used a calculator to see how many watts I actually need (with fans, 499W). I don't think those fans are actually necessary for the build, but I'm scared to burning the whole thing. Should I keep the fans or not?

It'd likely run fine while the PSU is still okay. Capacity goes down with age however, so you may have issues much later on (especially if you're overclocking).

I suggest looking for a higher quality power supply (not necessarily higher wattage), however. If you will be overclocking your stuff, then you can buffer in a bit more capacity.

16 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

PSU Calculators are almost never right and don't give much room for error. I would play it safe and get a 650W PSU (+150W from calculator is a good rule of thumb). The last thing you want is your power supply to fail.

Edit: just to confirm, do not use your build with that PSU, fans or not.

PSU calculators actually play FAR too safe, with it saying my 970 and i5 would use upwards of 400W. Never use them regardless.

19 minutes ago, Tanan said:

Intel® Core™ i7-6700K
ASUS Z170-P
Seagate 1TB - 7200rpm
Arctic F12 Silent (x2)

20 minutes ago, Tanan said:

Intel® Core™ i7-6700K
ASUS Z170-P
Seagate 1TB - 7200rpm
Arctic F12 Silent (x2)

The FSP unit you have is a very, very low-end unit. I would highly recommend checking out the PSU tier list in my signature and getting something from tier 2 or higher, 550W or higher.

1 minute ago, Tanan said:

No.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

52 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The FSP unit you have is a very, very low-end unit. I would highly recommend checking out the PSU tier list in my signature and getting something from tier 2 or higher, 550W or higher.

So... I will be good if I use a EVGA GQ 650W 80 Plus Gold?

1 hour ago, Tanan said:

So... I will be good if I use a EVGA GQ 650W 80 Plus Gold?

Yes, that is a well built unit.

`