Help me choose a 1080

GnomishViking

Hey all, Just joined the forum

As the title says i need some help choosing a 1080. I currently have a 980ti FTW running a 3440x1440 monitor and am looking to upgrade to the 1080. Alot of people say to wait, but gettting another 10fps or more going up to a 1080 running my resolution means alot frankly. I like the Asus strix cause depending on which one you get it comes with a pretty good clock out of the box. But I have heard it has horrible support from Asus and sagging issues that have been with the Strix line for a while now. Msi has an offering that is also clocked pretty good out of the box, but the red and black doesnt fit my build much. Now comes to the EVGA FTW. I like the looks of this card alot and have been happy with my 980ti FTW. My only issue is that my 980ti really sucks for overclocking. Like anything above 1420mhz and its unstable no matter what I do. Which is what concerns me about getting the 1080 version because it has a lower clock out of the box, SO I am kinda worried it wont overclock very well.

Anyways I would love to hear your guys opinions.

Personally i prefer the Asus strix, the 1080 strix has a backplate that should lessen sag

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Here's how you chose 1080s. Out of all the options,

1. Remove the blower style ones. Leave only dual / triple fans and the hybrids.
  2. Remove the ones you don't like the looks of.
  3. Sort them by price.

Get the first one, or pay a bit extra if you really like the looks of a more expensive card. But that's it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Ernest_L said:

Personally i prefer the Asus strix, the 1080 strix has a backplate that should lessen sag

If I am not mistaken all three options have a backplate

1 minute ago, Ernest_L said:

IIRC Asus suppot was shit last time i checked

Now talking about warranty. At my local store I can spend like 80$ and get two year in house replacement. So I wouldn't necessarily have to deal with asus support. But I would rather not have to spend money on extra warranty if I dint have to.

EVGA FTW or Strix (I love mine:x)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

I guess the EVGA SC is an option too. already clocked higher than the FTW. But the FTW is custom PCB I think? Plus more power connectors. Which in theory would give better overclocks but from what Ive seen every card hits the same OC wall.

Just now, racer243l said:

EVGA FTW or Strix (I love mine:x)

And which one do you have? The FTW or the Strix?

Overclocking is luck of the draw, personally go for one from evga cause their support is rock solid, if you want to spend the extra money look for the 1080 hybrid

OAS || AAS || LLS

2 minutes ago, GnomishViking said:

I guess the EVGA SC is an option too. already clocked higher than the FTW. But the FTW is custom PCB I think? Plus more power connectors. Which in theory would give better overclocks but from what Ive seen every card hits the same OC wall.

For better or for worse, Pascal just doesn't care about which PCB you have. So long as it's well cooled (and all aftermarket 1080s are), it'll be up to the lottery. Custom PCB or FTW PCB, doesn't matter for Pascal.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Superspeed07 said:

Overclocking is luck of the draw, personally go for one from evga cause their support is rock solid, if you want to spend the extra money look for the 1080 hybrid

I would get that one, But at my store they only have the MSI hybrid, which isnt clocked that high

Just now, Imakuni said:

For better or for worse, Pascal just doesn't care about which PCB you have. So long as it's well cooled (and all aftermarket 1080s are), it'll be up to the lottery. Custom PCB or FTW PCB, doesn't matter for Pascal.

I feel like I should just go for the highest clocked card I can find out of the box then. I have had crap luck with the silicone lottery aver the past few years.

2 minutes ago, GnomishViking said:

I would get that one, But at my store they only have the MSI hybrid, which isnt clocked that high

Gotta remember that there is gpu boost, pretty much every card will blow past what they say on the box. It seems like the cards that have water with them are going well over 2000 on the core once you tweak them.

OAS || AAS || LLS

Just now, GnomishViking said:

I feel like I should just go for the highest clocked card I can find out of the box then. 

You don't need to. GPUBoost will do it all for you.

1 minute ago, GnomishViking said:

silicone lottery

http://grammarist.com/spelling/silicon-silicone/

Just now, GnomishViking said:

I feel like I should just go for the highest clocked card I can find out of the box then. 

You don't need to. GPUBoost will do it all for you.

1 minute ago, GnomishViking said:

silicone lottery

http://grammarist.com/spelling/silicon-silicone/

Whatever you like the looks of and hope you win the lottery.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

18 minutes ago, GnomishViking said:

And which one do you have? The FTW or the Strix?

Strix

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

I would go for the EVGA one out of those 2, it would save you on $80 for the warranty. I had an Asus motherboard I had trouble with and they did nothing for me. AKA Support sucks. I have 2 MSI gaming x 1080's cause I like the looks of them, but they are more expensive then most. I cannot recommend them from hands on because I haven't done my build yet, but from all the reviews I've seen they are suppose to be really good

In love with my Gaming X model.  Looks good and runs absolutely silent.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

17 minutes ago, IrshaadH said:

In love with my Gaming X model.  Looks good and runs absolutely silent.

I do too, that's what made me get it

2 hours ago, GnomishViking said:

You can also take into account EVGAs step up program too.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

2 hours ago, GnomishViking said:

You can also take into account EVGAs step up program too.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

Palit Gamerock is pretty much the quietest out there. Asus Strix for example was 87% louder in a german Test, and at th same time 2°C warmer.