Google Fiber in Trouble: Second Biggest Expense After Search Engine

patrickjp93
14 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Well I thought that was how they were choosing which cities to move into, available dark fiber and willing backbone lessors. Ignoring the roadblocks and exorbitant costs is there a demand for backbone infrastructure that Google could make a parallel fiber network and become a lessor as well? Or is it a situation where the established players are the only ones that could reliably stay profitable?

I believe it's the latter.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On 8/27/2016 at 0:37 PM, Energycore said:

Dammit double post

I guess I'll use it to give my opinion that home users don't really need 100Mbps

Maybe a family of 5 if they all want to stream video at the same time

Honestly i'd love a 100mbps google fiber plan. The issue I have is they either have the standard plan, or the gigabit AFAIK, theres nothing in between for a family of internet users. I'd say edit but I literally just looked it up while typing this post. It seems they added the 100mbps plan after the last time i checked or i just never saw it. Either way 100mbps for $50 is great, I'm paying $45 for 50mbps right now.

Actual EDIT: I forgot to mention now that I'm planning a freeNAS build, the upload is a lot more important now. The symmetric connection is great, even if I had 50/50 that would be amazing, 100/100 is just perfect. I wish Google Fiber was here even more now.

5 minutes ago, bobhays said:

Honestly i'd love a 100mbps google fiber plan. The issue I have is they either have the standard plan, or the gigabit AFAIK, theres nothing in between for a family of internet users. I'd say edit but I literally just looked it up while typing this post. It seems they added the 100mbps plan after the last time i checked or i just never saw it. Either way 100mbps for $50 is great, I'm paying $45 for 50mbps right now.

I think my family is paying $95 per month for cable, phone, and a promised 30/10 internet plan, but the truth is we tend to get between 60 and 100 mbps down and 30 up.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

55 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I think my family is paying $95 per month for cable, phone, and a promised 30/10 internet plan, but the truth is we tend to get between 60 and 100 mbps down and 30 up.

I've never experienced that. Often I get what promised give or take 20% depending on time of day.

50 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I've never experienced that. Often I get what promised give or take 20% depending on time of day.

You know what the scariest thing is? Comcast is the provider.

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Gah I hate you, I get promised speeds no more and peak traffic often as much as 70% less.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

13 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yea I have TWC and their customer service has been pretty good so far. In my area they are also much cheaper than ATT, idk why anyone wouldn't go with TWC for my area.

On 9/1/2016 at 8:26 PM, patrickjp93 said:

It's expanded to enough cities already it's nearly 10 billion in the hole. Redo your math, genius.

WOW no really? So my math was based off a SINGLE CITY, obviously more cities = multiply my math by the # of cities.....

Just now, Zeeee said:

WOW no really? So my math was based off a SINGLE CITY, obviously more cities = multiply my math by the # of cities.....

But your math doesn't hold up uniformly. It has to be completely redone. Why is it so few people around here understand linear regressions?

22 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Profile says you live in Brisbane, how are you with Comcast?

On 27. elokuuta 2016 at 4:36 PM, patrickjp93 said:

That's still 1 million people per city. Google's not getting anywhere near that.

Same people can subscribe it for more than 14 months. For example if 300 000 subs it for 3 years.

52 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Profile says you live in Brisbane, how are you with Comcast?

I do. I just started working for Suncorp. My family is back in New Jersey.

8 minutes ago, MadG4mer said:

Same people can subscribe it for more than 14 months. For example if 300 000 subs it for 3 years.

And then maintenance and licensing costs start adding up AFTER the initial investment. The only one who truly knows how bad it is is Google, but I can tell you with zero doubt you have all vastly underestimated how costly it is.

On 3. syyskuuta 2016 at 1:19 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I do. I just started working for Suncorp. My family is back in New Jersey.

And then maintenance and licensing costs start adding up AFTER the initial investment. The only one who truly knows how bad it is is Google, but I can tell you with zero doubt you have all vastly underestimated how costly it is.

Thank you for the info, I was hoping that 1B$ had maintenance costs included for some time. Seems like Alphabet havent been smart at all this time.

16 minutes ago, MadG4mer said:

Thank you for the info, I was hoping that 1B$ had maintenance costs included for some time. Seems like Alphabet havent been smart at all this time.

It's not a matter of being smart. It's a matter of: shit is expensive.