Google Fiber in Trouble: Second Biggest Expense After Search Engine

patrickjp93

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/google-fibre-might-be-in-trouble-as-service-becomes-too-expensive/#disqus_thread

As I have said before, if you think competition solves all problems, think again. Even Google isn't rich enough to pay for all the construction to take fiber anywhere, and the business in the U.S. does not have a subscriber count large enough to make the required ROI.

Cost to expand fiber into any given city: 1 billion USD.

Alphabet's CEO has announced that the service will change directions, but the details on how are not yet clear.

I honestly don't have a dog in the fight. My home back in NJ gets 100mbps+ both ways when our plan only requires 25/5 with Comcast. That said, it's not like I've been saying the costs to expand Internet infrastructure are prohibitive and Comcast/TWC provide great service in spite of local monopolies... Oh wait...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

takes ~ 14 million payments of 70USD (with 100% profit, not considering upkeep, service call, equipment, ect) to make that kinda money up. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

takes ~ 14 million payments of 70USD (with 100% ROI) to make that kinda money up. 

14 million people per city? Good luck with that. I think the total subscriber count is still under 5 million.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

14 million people per city? Good luck with that.

I didn't edit that quick enough 

takes ~ 14 million payments of 70USD (with 100% profit, not considering upkeep, service call, equipment, ect) to make that kinda money up. 

like 1 million accounts for 14 months, idk 

point is it's definitely feasible but not quickly as that's "best case never gonna happen" scenario 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

point is it's definitely feasible but not quickly as that's "best case never gonna happen" scenario 

That's still 1 million people per city. Google's not getting anywhere near that.

Yeah, honestly google fiber is unnecessary speed wise for most consumers I think their plans were impractical from the get go, however I still want the current ISPs to die out due to their blatant theift of billions that were suppose to go to country wide network grid upgrades

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

That's still 1 million people per city. Google's not getting anywhere near that.

my point exactly. In that perfect scenario, it takes a long time to see ROI. This kind of long term investment doesn't pair with hopping from city to city and doing this as fast as possible for a company that's new in the field. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Competition solves a lot of problems.  Google is just one company.  If other companies started offering gigabit fiber at affordable prices in areas which Google doesn't serve, there would be a drastic change.  Comcast is interested in making profits.  If other companies threaten their business model, they will have to adapt in order compete within the market.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, ISPs are one of the areas in which true competition does not exist.  If Comcast and other large companies have the legal resources, it stands to reason they would try to find any loophole to prevent others from entering their markets.  Having the option between cable or DSL in a given area or DSL and satellite is not a true option as they are vastly different levels of service.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I got a fiver says the change in direction is that the NSA will subsidize future rollouts in exchange for certain considerations. 

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

If they get 500k customer per city and let say 50% of the income ($70/month/customer) goes to upkeep, service call, equipment, ect.

Then the fibre will pay it self back in 5 years.

That's not bad at all.

Check my Video Game Photos on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/snakedrone/ ?

3 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

If other companies started offering gigabit fiber at affordable prices in areas which Google doesn't serve, there would be a drastic change.

There aren't many companies large enough to even attempt large scale fiber not to mention all the red tape created by companies adding their own BS regulations to hinder startups

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

There aren't many companies large enough to even attempt large scale fiber products not to mention all the red tape created by companies adding their own BS regulations to hinder startups

I never was never under the impression that one single company could change everything.  Comcast has attempted to change the business model in areas where Google operates.  Comcast knows that they cannot offer that level of service at that price (not that they would want to anyway).

Unfortunately, "regulations" could mean anything if you haven't actually sat down to read the incredibly long bills in their entirety.  There are instances of overregulation and under-regulation.  That could be a positive or negative depending on what you're talking about.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

14 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

-double post what the hell LTT forums-

12 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I'm on desktop, how the hell did this double post happen ????

For whatever reason, the website doesn't say that it sends, so you click the button again, and there is 2 posts. I somehow managed to post 3 times in another thread even though I only clicked the button twice.

22 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Cost to expand fiber into any given city: 1 billion USD.

google should be able to afford that, maybe the shareholders don't like it or something?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

34 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

google should be able to afford that, maybe the shareholders don't like it or something?

They can afford it but investors are smart enough to figure out they shouldn't have to pay for all of it themselves. Everybody else doing ISP business basically inherited a great deal of the infrastructure via the 1996 telecommunications act that gave em massive tax breaks. Even if they ain't doing nothing with that they have such a major head start because of it that as a business model it doesn't really works for Alphabet to just jump through a bunch of extra hoops and invest a lot more when Comcast, if seriously threatened, can still squash them easily.

Their strategy is just getting people on the internet and using Google products, not necessarily becoming an ISP. And they are basically saying "This is too expensive for what we're getting out of it" so they might push for some other types of ways to get more people into their platforms instead of literally getting all the way to their homes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Unfortunately for Google, nationally they only have 200,000 subscribers, and most are apartment complexes.  

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Expecting a 1 year ROI for stuff like this is beyond fallacious... That said, clearly they do need more base to justify this. The issue though is that until a new person steps things up, halfway decent internet isn't coming by way of current providers (hell U-verse just installed a data cap at my parents place after 4 years of service...)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

6 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

14 million people per city? Good luck with that. I think the total subscriber count is still under 5 million.

Remember those $70 payments are recurrent every month.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Dammit double post

I guess I'll use it to give my opinion that home users don't really need 100Mbps

Maybe a family of 5 if they all want to stream video at the same time

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If there weren't monopolies and restrictions on lines they wouldn't have such of a problem expanding.

That's only competition on one leg of the centipede of fiber optic Internet Service Provision. Lack of competition elsewhere keeps the costs exorbitant for the people actually competing. Right of ways, cabling, support structures and devices, heck just the leases for use of poles or existing conduit can be stupid expensive.

One of the problems here is Google fiber doesn't advertise at all. They just expect people to know about it. They also chose the worlds smallest areas to build into. 

If they would go into cities, the their suburbs outside the cities. (say st. louis and outlying places or San fran and outlying places) Obviously a lot more people will be interested and it would get a lot more press coverage. And we all know press coverage is free media. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

The typical cost in North America and Australia is $10,000 per passed household. 

Even if all the stars align and you get 100% subscriber uptake (which is pretty aggressive since lots of people do just swell with 4G LTE as their only Internet), at a 5% interest rate, that's $600-$700 per year that has to be collected from the subscriber *just for the infrastructure*.  To say nothing of the operational costs (electricity, labour), etc.

So in a nutshell, you need very heavy adoption of the "triple play" packages at $150+/month to make it work.  There are only a very limited number of households who are willing to fork out that kind of money.  Especially when a lot of people have been cancelling cable and their home phone, and simply using Netflix and their cells to get down into a $50-$80 package. 

If they get 500k customer per city and let say 50% of the income ($70/month/customer) goes to upkeep, service call, equipment, ect.

Then the fibre will pay it self back in 5 years.

That's not bad at all.

No, not even close.  The cost of putting in fiber is dramatically higher than that up-front, requiring much higher than $70/month/customer for break-even with high penetration rates. 

The numbers simply couldn't add up for Google.  And Google really isn't the sort of company with expertise in that area anyways. 

4 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

The typical cost in North America and Australia is $10,000 per passed household. 

Even if all the stars align and you get 100% subscriber uptake (which is pretty aggressive since lots of people do just swell with 4G LTE as their only Internet), at a 5% interest rate, that's $600-$700 per year that has to be collected from the subscriber *just for the infrastructure*.  To say nothing of the operational costs (electricity, labour), etc.

So in a nutshell, you need very heavy adoption of the "triple play" packages at $150+/month to make it work.  There are only a very limited number of households who are willing to fork out that kind of money.  Especially when a lot of people have been cancelling cable and their home phone, and simply using Netflix and their cells to get down into a $50-$80 package. 

Their problem was pricing it way too aggressively honestly.

the one thing i would have taken from google fiber is the one time payment for adsl 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>