Budget Audio headset? under 50 usd

fos1x

I would reccomend anything turtle beach, I have a turtle beach X12 which i have had for years now and it still has great audio and in perfect condition. The audio on it is perfect, it does have a built in bass adjuster where you also change the volume on the cord. I have had no problems with this headset at all, and I believe it was under $40, although it does have a mic. with that in mind I think any cheap tutle beach would suit your needs. Hope that helps :)

well what you are looking for is called headphones, not headset.

Headset=mic

Headphones= no mic

and look here 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, David P. said:

I would reccomend anything turtle beach, I have a turtle beach X12 which i have had for years now and it still has great audio and in perfect condition. The audio on it is perfect, it does have a built in bass adjuster where you also change the volume on the cord. I have had no problems with this headset at all, and I believe it was under $40, although it does have a mic. with that in mind I think any cheap tutle beach would suit your needs. Hope that helps :)

No.

Just no no.

Op

Check out dackzys link

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You really have to stretch your budget because you cannot get anything comfortable that sounds good under $50. 

You may look at something like a Superlux HD668B but they clamp your head like a medieval torture device and the highs will make you deaf. 

Perhaps this open-back Lyx Pro will do:

https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-OEH-10-Headphones-Interchangeable-Comfortable/dp/B01G90XT3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472320083&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=over+ear+headphones&psc=1

But personally, I would spend just a little more and get the comfiest headphones that also sound phenomenal: the Philips SHP 9500. They're like socks for your head and they have this very airy, crystal clear sound. The bass is really tight and punchy, although a bit quiet for some tracks. They're a steal for $74. 

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472320363&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+shp9500

9 hours ago, spwath said:

No.

Just no no.

Op

Check out dackzys link

People have different opinions, get used to it. Just because you dont agree doesnt make them any lower quality.

19 minutes ago, David P. said:

People have different opinions, get used to it. Just because you dont agree doesnt make them any lower quality.

There is opinions on sound, and there is objective sound quality.

Turtle Beach fails at that, along with build quality

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 hours ago, spwath said:

There is opinions on sound, and there is objective sound quality.

Turtle Beach fails at that, along with build quality

Ive only ever used Turtle Beach, and the sound is great and the build quality was also great. So I dont know what your talking about. You have your $200 headset and ill have my $50 headset that works just as well, no need to say my opinion is wrong.

1 hour ago, David P. said:

Ive only ever used Turtle Beach, and the sound is great and the build quality was also great. So I dont know what your talking about. You have your $200 headset and ill have my $50 headset that works just as well, no need to say my opinion is wrong.

just shhh, you have only used shitty headsets and never good headphones, so how can you comment, saying that the audio quality is high? If you only have tried one thing your whole life then ofc it will be good for you, but for people who have tried good headphones turtlebeach sucks ass. When I was very young I thought that the G35 was the best thing ever, then I tried headphones that was just okay/meh for their price for about a week and then went back to my G35 and they sucked, I could hear how bad everything just was. The point is that you get used to things, even though they are bad. Also why get something that is bad, when you can get something that is better, for the same price or cheaper. It is all about recommending things that are good for the price and find out what sound that fits the OPs taste.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

14 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

just shhh, you have only used shitty headsets and never good headphones, so how can you comment, saying that the audio quality is high? If you only have tried one thing your whole life then ofc it will be good for you, but for people who have tried good headphones turtlebeach sucks ass. When I was very young I thought that the G35 was the best thing ever, then I tried headphones that was just okay/meh for their price for about a week and then went back to my G35 and they sucked, I could hear how bad everything just was. The point is that you get used to things, even though they are bad. Also why get something that is bad, when you can get something that is better, for the same price or cheaper. It is all about recommending things that are good for the price and find out what sound that fits the OPs taste.

Ok if you are saying its all about a good price (under $50 as suggested) and what sound fits their taste then why would you say that I am wrong when I like turtle beach? You are just contridicting yourself. I get it, you had bad experience with turtle beach. And you are free to your opinion, that doesnt make them any worse of a product, being the age (you saying you were very young) the turtle beach could have been a few years old by the time you got your newer headset for all I know. ever think that they could come out with better sound for headphones?

42 minutes ago, David P. said:

Ok if you are saying its all about a good price (under $50 as suggested) and what sound fits their taste then why would you say that I am wrong when I like turtle beach? You are just contridicting yourself. I get it, you had bad experience with turtle beach. And you are free to your opinion, that doesnt make them any worse of a product, being the age (you saying you were very young) the turtle beach could have been a few years old by the time you got your newer headset for all I know. ever think that they could come out with better sound for headphones?

no I did not, because turtle beach has shit audio quality, you just cherry picked in your mind what you wanted to read. Better sound ahahahaha I just tried their full line up, it has the same audio quality as that plastic cup with strings attached on the end. I am saying that it is all about getting the best value for your money and what fits you, so we are NOT just talking sound signature, we are also talking audio quality. Turtle beach is like razer when it comes to audio, they know jack shit and don't know how how to even make it okay. They are utter shit in every single way. There is no reason to recommend shit. How can you even comment on audio when you have only tries turtle beach? You know jack shit about what is out there, you have tried close to nothing. You should not comment on something you don't know anything about, sure you might own a pair, but that does not equal to you knowing anything about audio or make it a good idea to comment. I own a car, but I don't go commenting on best car for x budget, because I don't know that much about cars. You should only comment on things you know something about, not just this bs, I own this and it is fine for me and then it turns out that, that thing is the only thing you have ever tried. OFC it is good for you then.

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Snip

Wow there, I get that he's inexperienced but chill out with the "I know better than you" attitude. No other sub behaves like this except the audio section, and I'm embarrassed to share the same hobby with people like you. No wonder people think audiophiles are pretentious a-holes. How about go to real audio forums instead of just hanging out here all the time belittling people and telling them they're wrong hm?

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Snip

Wow there, I get that he's inexperienced but chill out with the "I know better than you" attitude. No other sub behaves like this except the audio section, and I'm embarrassed to share the same hobby with people like you. No wonder people think audiophiles are pretentious a-holes. How about go to real audio forums instead of just hanging out here all the time belittling people and telling them they're wrong hm?

47 minutes ago, iShad said:

oh waow. I am explaining to him why he thinks that they are good and that they are bad. This forum is for helping people, I don't think that it helps anyone if people like him come in here and start recommending headsets that are bad, the same way that I am not going to recommend things that I don't know very much about, it is fairly simple you should only recommend things when you know something about the subject, wich he clearly didn't because he had only ever used turtlebeach. If you also missed it, I tried to relate something to him in the first respond with the young me and my G35 and how things changed when I tried real headphones. Sure I went a little hard the second round, but not very hard. This is far from being a asshole, I said what needed to be said and that is just how it is. Also I am far from a asshole have you even seen how I have been to the people that are willing to learn? And don't just try to come back with some BS. I am very very nice, I just don't like the type of person he is. I am all for teaching people things and I am happy to do so, but sometimes you just gotta cut the crap.

If I went to hard on him I am sorry, I really am. @David P. I hope that you can forgive me, if you feel like I went too hard.

31 minutes ago, iShad said:

I try not to do this, but the problem is, after time of enough people who don't know stuff trying to recommend people stuff that is no good, you get fed up. 

And, this is one of the few good audio forums. Sbaf is good, headfi is terrible.

33 minutes ago, iShad said:

I try not to do this, but the problem is, after time of enough people who don't know stuff trying to recommend people stuff that is no good, you get fed up. 

And, this is one of the few good audio forums. Sbaf is good, headfi is terrible.

4 hours ago, Dackzy said:

oh waow. I am explaining to him why he thinks that they are good and that they are bad. This forum is for helping people, I don't think that it helps anyone if people like him come in here and start recommending headsets that are bad, the same way that I am not going to recommend things that I don't know very much about, it is fairly simple you should only recommend things when you know something about the subject, wich he clearly didn't because he had only ever used turtlebeach. If you also missed it, I tried to relate something to him in the first respond with the young me and my G35 and how things changed when I tried real headphones. Sure I went a little hard the second round, but not very hard. This is far from being a asshole, I said what needed to be said and that is just how it is. Also I am far from a asshole have you even seen how I have been to the people that are willing to learn? And don't just try to come back with some BS. I am very very nice, I just don't like the type of person he is. I am all for teaching people things and I am happy to do so, but sometimes you just gotta cut the crap.

If I went to hard on him I am sorry, I really am. @David P. I hope that you can forgive me, if you feel like I went too hard.

Well yeah you did actually act like a complete asshole, im sorry for liking a certain product. Maybe my ears are just fucked or something according to you. He said a good pair of headphones which was under $50. That is what I suggested, I have had good experiences with them, they had both good base and treble, and also a good quality mic with the headset that I had. But I guess im wrong because you say so? Wow, just wow.

9 hours ago, David P. said:

SNIP

You can get headphones with much higher audio quality for the same price, we are not talking something subjective right now. Just plain better audio quality.

Headsets are generally just plain bad value

To go back to personal recommendations that we can all more or less agree with:

When it comes to that sub 50 price range I always go to the Superlux 668. I've never had someone come back and tell me that it was a bad choice at that price. So that's my vote. 

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!